Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oresund bridge (larger then 800x600 size)

Post Oresund bridge (larger then 800x600 size)

The Oresund bridge between Denmark and Sweden is a highway and track combined bridge.

As a fun project to learn how to make Trainz assets via Blender, I decided to try and create that bridge.
    I probably should have started with a small house or something easy as my first Blender creation lol... O well.

So far, I have been working on the segments with pillars and the 490m main span.

Here are a few screenshots.

A blender shot from a 120m segment:

The 490m span from up close:

An overview shot from a test route (140m segments with pillars and the 490m span):

(updated screenshot; this was the previous image)

Let me know what you think .
    Last edited by oknotsen; May 28th, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Replaced a picture by a more recent shot

Blog Entries

Please let me the first to say this thing is FANTASTIC. also I give it a WOW. For both size and just being too awesome.

Blog Entries

Wow! I salute your courage and your determination, it is quite the project for a first time. I think I would start off with a bird house! It looks as if you've done well!

Blog Entries

Thats awesome, especially for a first project! I still remember that bridge from a holiday back when i was about 7. Massive thing with a tunnel on one end too i think. Copenhagen would be a really cool place to model in trainz

WOW, that is an ambitious project to pick for learning!!! Good job so far!

Wowser!!! Isn't that a beauty?! And it's pretty much spot on too. Except for the fact that you seem to have too many motorway lanes; the real bridge only has two lanes + an emergency lane in each direction. But, apart from that: gimme, gimme, gimme
    Nickie Katharina F°nshauge

Blog Entries

Your first model? Wow! Great work on that bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by Euphod View Post
    <snip> I think I would start off with a bird house! <snip>
    Please do, Ed. Me thinks we could use some bird houses and bird feeders. And with your fine skill at reskinning, I'd say you have good potential to create useful items!
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2-GHz, 4 GiB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 3400 Series, 2-TB 7200-RPM eSATA HDD, Windows Vista 32-bit.
    TS2010 49933.

Thumbs up Thanks for the reactions

Thank you all for the positive reactions .

A reaction to a few:
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchy View Post
    Massive thing with a tunnel on one end too i think.
    You are correct sir.
    If I figure out how, I might give that tunnel a try after the bridge is finished (or good enough; I doubt I ever call it finished). First I am going to give the ramps to this bridge a shot. That track has to get away from under that road and both the Sweden and the Peberholm (Denmark) side are different for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NickieFoenshauge View Post
    you seem to have too many motorway lanes; the real bridge only has two lanes + an emergency lane in each direction
    I can assure you that it only looked that way in those screenshots , probably because of the road image I created (at that moment still without stripes).
    Here is a new shot from above the 490m span that shows the lanes more clearly:

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post
    First I am going to give the ramps to this bridge a shot. That track has to get away from under that road and both the Sweden and the Peberholm (Denmark) side are different for that.
    Are you going to include the motorway toll-booth on the Sweedish side? Not essential, I know, but would look good.

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post
    I can assure you that it only looked that way in those screenshots , probably because of the road image I created (at that moment still without stripes).
    Ah, I see. Now with the stripes the lanes are just right.
    Nickie Katharina F°nshauge

amazing work man.really nice
    CORE I5 6500 >GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER B7>24GB VENGANCE LPX>EVGA GTX 1070 SC>COOLER MASTER COSMOS SE>KINGSTAON 240GB SSD*SEAGATE ITB>

That looks great. Well done. Brilliant

For me looks good. You can add Baked textures easily with Blender, so if it looks real now imagine it with baked textures. Good start mate.
    Looking forward to progress

Greetings

Default Peberholm

Thanks for all the positive reactions! Much appreciated.

Progress has been a lot less then I had hoped, mainly because of a reflections issue I am having, but I am happy to be able to post a few more screenies of what I developed so far.

I have been working on the connection between the artificial island of Peberholm (the Danish side of the Oresund) and the bridge.
    Here is how it looks on googlemaps and this is what I made of it in Trainz:
    Top view:

View at track level of this connection towards the bridge:

Quote Originally Posted by NickieFoenshauge View Post
    Are you going to include the motorway toll-booth on the Sweedish side? Not essential, I know, but would look good.
    I wasnt planning to since I prefer the more train related objects and it aint my goal to make a route of a large area, but who knows... I wasnt planning to start learning Blender and see what happend so far.

Blog Entries

I had to check it out a couple of times, but it seems like you have got it just right. It's a bit hard to see the cross member of the support columns in Google Maps, but I was able to make them out as indistinct "bends" in the material. Well done.

Can double stack intermodal trains fit on the bridge and when will it be complete?
    Lead, Follow, Or get the **** out of the way -​Hugh "Polar Bear" Rowland
    My website: https://sites.google.com/site/gwinsplace/