RESKINNING OLD BOXES

mtldrm38

Hey all guess safe place to put this but have ya noticed the rehab old content becoming a big trend lately....
Well I been doin some personal stuff with the 40ft as I shall say dead files...

I know mostly majekears has upgraded most opf his stuff but not all... as let alone a few others....

Point is I pondered across in my selected rolling stock a lot of great textures on auran meshes that ugh., and ya the what ifs I can say almost abandoned
cars......
So Ive decided to try a few of these with JORAM24 s MESH 40FT OLD STYLE BOXCAR
and bam with a little bit of touch up these cars look amazing theyre not ARN or top line photo reskins or perfect rivet counting bs but actually impressive down to earth looking rolling stock.....
So point being is do ya think uploading these would be respected or shunted...
I yet to ask since it involves a lotta old textures from past creators and one who actually updated most to a arn or lodi file and someone elses mesh.........
I dont wanna step on any toes but man any good reskinner would see even personal use the point Im sayin here Ive already done over 50 boxes and reefers so far.......

Dave =)

...<snippage>...

So point being is do ya think uploading these would be respected or shunted...

Well, I respect the right of a person to reskin content for his or her own use; I've done it myself. However, in general, I think there is a time limit for updating content. I don't know the box car mesh you specifically mention, but it seems to me that given the advancement of hardware and software engineering in the game, that it might be a preferred option to create a new mesh in conformity with current standards, instead of just reskinning an old one.

The creator whose mesh you specifically name, Joram24, is very much still involved with Trainz, and and while you may not need his permission to reskin the mesh, it would certainly be proper to consult him before releasing it. It might be that the mesh you have chosen is one that he is a wee bit less pleased with than some others.

Also, just my view, but the game could benefit from more people creating meshes, and fewer reskins. For one thing, I've seen too many reskins where the reskin uses the wrong mesh; comparing closely the reskinned model with a photo of the actual car reveals that the reskin is on a mesh of a car from the wrong builder. Better in that case to create a new mesh which is a better representation of the actual content.

ns

Last edited:
Back