Dugout-Full/Dig Deep in the Pits 1.6 under approval now !!

LIneAxe

You bet, I just made the Final Release version. I smoothed out alot of curves and added in the ability to have either two,three, or four players (Perhaps in 2 two player teams ?) . The Locos were changed because the location has been set to Dawson Creek, British Columbia. I also have noted that you can Navigate one Loco along the outer route to go to both outposts in turn all game long. Then you use the other one just like a normal multiplayer game so you can practice getting to know the routes. This is quite fun to play actually !! Much more detail work was done than on previous versions. The Text Description was updated to make it easier to read. And much more editing was done
Dugout-Full/Dig Deep in the Pits 1.6
will be on DLS very soon!!!

That's very nice, but why did you start a new thread when you have one just a few spaces down the list on the same subject? ;)

It's finally done... I hope!

The latest revision of
Dugout-Final : Dig Deep in the Pits 1.6:3
is now on the DLS SERVER. Dramatic improvements to gameplay. More Lights, more bells , more whistles... Check it out for yourself !!

Widget: " This is the best set of tracks I have ever had the opportunity to roll down "
Widget II: " What he said "
Observer Pilot: " That has been my observation as well..."

Last edited:
Don't Panic , everyone who is downloading Dugout Final-Dig Deep in the Pits 1.6:6 !! I noticed the corner too late and the AI trains seem to crash on it. So release Dugout Final-Dig Deep in the Pits 1.6:7 has now been uploaded and it should be out on the DLS server soon !!!! Sorry, so many lights had to get added to the AI tracks and it got me a bit bug eyed at the end .. Anyhow, much more got added in , as well ....Less Bells , more whistles :eek:

--update...just went through a bunch of testing to clean up any errors , bad track layout , etc. I think I got it all fixed !!
-- there is one weird thing I can't control , it is on the AI , when they are carrying loads of coal , and a real multiplayer person starts his loco , for some reason the load is counted as 1 ton instead of the 45 tons the Coal Hopper is Carrying. I know I checked my logic, so I think its in the game logic somewhere. Anyhow I just count it off as spillage , or perhaps maybe the coal just got lost or something? Anyhow ,the coal aint there , so don't go looking for it... but your team still gets paid the $50 on that trip ...

Last edited:
Dugout Full/Dig Deep in the Pits 1.6:10
has risen up from the ashes and embers it's earlier versions. Even more tracks and features. More $$$ can be made while you are practicing the two routes while in singleplayer mode. Alot more action on the already well used outer Route. See if you can manuever all 3 AI trains to keep them all running smoothly, while driving the 4th one.

Logic is being tested on the backup ticketing , so bear with that for the time being ... everything else is working rather well.
In a future release I will be looking at handling the AI trains so that they will work much better. ( I am still learning that one ... )

Well, I am glad you asked that.
I think I just released the last one tonight. I have been testing the tracks and doing the best I can to learn how to control the AI. I only released the version 2.0 because I had experimental route/map going and I couldn't go back to the version control stuff I was trying out. So I had to make a new route/session name and start the version control again .Sorry everyone, I haven't quite all that stuff sorted out yet. Anyhow ,I tested and tested and finally got it where the AI trains are running their routes almost perfectly. So, this release 2.0 is the final release. and the :3 I hope is the final version of it .
Whew! Anyhow I put tons of hours into each release before I finally Oked it for DLS. Looking back tho.... I would have rather just released something more like this in the first one !!

Last edited:
Beta testers, beta testers, beta testers. Might save you a bit of needless work next time!;)

You are so right. Beta testers ! Well, it was my first map and I didn't know what was what :) So, it may have been a bit early to get anyone else interested in doing beta testing. At this point, it is more of a fun map to play and possibly much more worthy of getting people to beta it. I just did a bunch of reading from norfolk and snipers threads on signals and AI control locking junctions . Apparantly, no one has come up with a way to overcome the AI from doing this locking action when you are in their path and trying to take a diverging path away from that junction. This seems to happen even if you flipped the switch first. They just come along and take it away. As far as I can tell from what I have gathered, the only thing you can do is STOP the AI train and regain control of the junction so you can go past the AI train.
With that being said, I can say that I am pretty much finished with this map. Nothing, besides a little tweaking here and there, needs to be done to make the game play. (I hope) ... So , at this point the version 2.01:3 is going up on DLS. I hope you have as much fun as I have been while controlling the trains, as well as playing against other players.

If you get near the switch first it will lock to your side, if you get there one second too late though, oooh. It's a race against the AI sometimes. :wave:
There used to be a setting in the Trainz Options file to do with the AI's viewing distance. Was quite a while ago since I read or set it though.

re: setting in the Trainz Options file to do with the AI's viewing distance

That does sound like a good thing to know about. I am on the hunt to find out more about it. I think it could use it here on this map. It would cut back the amount of times that they grab the control of a distant junction :)

try reducing the speed. they will lock a junction if they are operating it, or if they are moving too fast to stop before they reach it.

Dig Deep in the Pits 2.01:3 Suggested game scenarios

Hi , I thought I would include some suggested scenarios for playing it in a single player or a multiplayer game.
We just tested the download size and it is only around 2 Meg. You should be able to download it in no time at all! In this game you can use the map mode if you want and it responds quite well. I reduced a lot of the names to '.' to make the more important Junctions clearer to read on the map. The Settings I am using and others might want to try are:
Junctions (Alt-J)
Signals (Alt-S)
Trackside Labels (Alt-T)
Consists (Alt-C)

Single Player game

A) Use this for practicing Stenke’s track route.
The default setup is for Cafe to hook up to his CHN coal hopper (#1) who then goes down the coal route to get the Coking coal loaded into his Hopper. He then passes by the scales to get weighed and then heads back down the main coal track to the supply route and then to unload at the Steelworks. He repeats the trip to get the coking coal and to drop it off all game long.
Your Loco driver is Stenke. His first trip is to get the Golden (Milwaukee) Caboose from the Spare Loco’s track & take it down the coal tracks to drop it off at the Executive's construction site. His next 6 trips are spent picking up the freight cars ,one car at a time & taking them along the supply route , optionally doing a maildrop to an outpost along the way. When he gets to his turntable he spins around to face the track that leads back to the Dock where he started from. He drops off his Boxcar there & then backs up into Turntable A and spins around again. Now Stenke can go and get his next Boxcar from his supply Dock.
B) Use this for practicing Café’s track route. You need to Abandon Café’s schedule when you first start the game.
Setup Stenke to Navigate via Dock2, couple to CHN CHN coal hopper (#2) ,navigate to COKE COAL tracks, Load ,
Navigate via CoalLoop1, Navigate via Coalmain, Navigate to SteelWorks track,unload.
You want him to repeat everything after he has coupled up to his CHN coal hopper. I do this while the game is in play. I just have to watch him to make sure he has Freight car with him , and then hit the repeat. Now the gameplay.
This setup is for Stenke to hook up to his CHN coal hopper (#2) who then goes down the coal route to get the Coking coal loaded into his Hopper. He then passes by the scales to get weighed and then heads back down the main coal track to the supply route and then to unload at the Steelworks. He repeats the trip to get the coking coal and to drop it off all game long.
Your Loco driver is Cafe. His first trip is to get the Red Goose Caboose from the Spare Loco’s track & take it down the coal tracks to drop it off at the Executive's construction site. His next 6 trips are spent picking up the freight cars , one car at a time & taking them along the supply route , optionally doing a maildrop to an outpost along the way. When he gets to his turntable he spins around to face the track that leads back to the Dock where he started from. He drops off his Boxcar there & then backs up into Turntable B and spins around again. Now Cafe can go and get his next Boxcar from his supply Dock.

Multiplayer game

Two Players:
A) Abandon Café’s Schedule (make sure he is facing the right direction after this ). Now you both take Café & Stenke’s Locos out and do the same routes as you would be in a single player game. One route is designed to bemore of a challenge then the other route to make it more fun . Switch when you get halfway through,if you want to, so both players use both routes . (One player can do coking coal runs while waiting for the other to catch up getting the supplies to his dock at the Mine).
B) Abandon Café’s Schedule . Same as above , but every second trip you use the same Locomotive to go and get supplies from each others supply docks and take them back to each others Dock (A or B ) at the mine. This could get somewhat hazardous along the inner mine’s tracks, since they don’t have any signals placed on them.

Four Players:
A) Abandon all the AI schedules. Join up into two teams , yellow and red. The two extra trains can dump their CHN hoppers at their supply docks and then start doing the same routes that Stenke and Café are on.

Three Players:
A) Have the third player alternately take loads from each supply dock down into Dock A or B .Could get a bit complicated perhaps ?

Last edited:
Hey thanks Norfolk , I am looking into trying out that idea as well. I will keep the current version as the last one for a little while until I get all this tricky AI stuff worked out a bit better. Also, noted a couple vertices out of place (heh again) ....

Last edited:
Back