Should the Flag be Taken off UP?

Bumping old threads is like recycling, theres nothing wrong with bringing them up if they are within a year. Its not worth getting worked up about.

<snip>

Ditto to the top of my lungs, with the exception that I hardly care if the thread is as old as 2006 (when these current Trainz forums were created); it is still just a thread. ;)

Edit: As for the topic of this thread:

It is a good idea to abstain from even just the appearance of evil. If I am doing some thing that is not actually evil, and I know that, but some one else nearby does not know that and considers it evil, then I should abstain from doing that thing, which is abstaining from even the appearance of evil. For this reason, Union Pacific should keep the American flags on their locomotives, etc., well maintained to abstain from the appearance of evil, for as has been seen in this thread, there are people out there who object to the flags not being maintained well enough. That explains just fine why they should do it, for they should do it to abstain from even the appearance of evil.

I also object to the (unrelated) issue over their logo copyright. How old is U. P.'s logo? for copyrighted images published in the U. S. prior to about 1923 are in the public domain due to copyright expiration. ;)

Regards.

Last edited:
Oh No:
UP...

images

I think I smell a lawsuit! :hehe:

Needless to say, I think UP needs to review their goals regarding image and public relation.....

cheers

Oh No:
UP...

images

I think I smell a lawsuit! :hehe:

Needless to say, I think UP needs to review their goals regarding image and public relation.....

cheers

Actually, a lawsuit over that is not likely. You can not copyright a logo that contains only text and/or simple geometric shapes. Also, each U. S. trademark registration only applied to the goods and services that were specified in the application therefor. Thus, if Union Pacific did not register the "UP" trademark with movies included in the goods and services specified in the trademark application, then that trademark registration would not even have a chance at affecting Disney or any other company that releases/released a movie with "UP" in its title. ;)

Regards.

I really don't understand what the flap is about!
Personally, I feel that corporate use of the flag can be a bit ostentatious.
However, corporate ties to the US government, and the services they have provided over the years, albeit for profit, can blur the picture somewhat. Indeed, they are entities unto themselves. But they have also become part of the national fabric. UP, Boeing, Northrop, and many others, have contributed to our welfare in greater terms than material. It's their flag too!

Privately, we as individuals, generally view the flag as a symbol of the country, and like it or not, we don't always agree about what that country is up to. What I see in the flag, is not necessarily, what you see in the flag! This is very American.

I have been reprimanded, on at least one occasion, for flying the flag after sunset. This is not a military post, I explained. Besides, I have friends and schoolmates, still sailing those seas, and somewhere out there, the sun shines on them and that flag. Custom holds me in the me wrong, as I was. But I flew that flag 24 hours a day for several years anyway.

On US merchant ships, I have seen that flag flying from the stern until it was tattered into the blue field! I have seen the 'Don't Tread On Me' banner, the one with the snake in thirteen pieces on a yellow field, flown from the stern; and a corporate warning issued to the master! Then again, following 9/11, all US merchant ships were warned, not to fly the flag in certain areas of the globe. Ashamed as I am to admit it, it wasn't flown!

Generally, around the 4th of July holiday, I fly the '76' flag. Another neighbor grumbled that it's not an 'official' flag. It most certainly is! I still fly it!

regards

Last edited:
Actually, a lawsuit over that is not likely. You can not copyright a logo that contains only text and/or simple geometric shapes. Also, each U. S. trademark registration only applied to the goods and services that were specified in the application therefor. Thus, if Union Pacific did not register the "UP" trademark with movies included in the goods and services specified in the trademark application, then that trademark registration would not even have a chance at affecting Disney or any other company that releases/released a movie with "UP" in its title. ;)

Regards.
Yes I realize this, just a little joke:p

cheers

Carfreak4 is wrong the flag is everywhere over the in the USA. People there don't seem to realise that as it is here there and whatever so now so much part of the background.Been there twice and every time you see tv items it is well, everywhere. Almost a fetish and few countries as over the top. Here in GB we have had odd instances of the flag being burned by oddities and frantic minorities and know of no law against it. Not that would agree with that any more than Americans have their flag burned. In general we tend to be less flagrant in display. A national flag should be respected but I am thinking that sme are getting a bit carried awy with a painting on a train engine. Mind you we don't feel it neccesary to have the flag everywhere including a train. We know where we are.

If you want a symbolic gesture, don't burn the flag; wash it.”

Norman Thomas

Jamie

Last edited:
Boy Scouts of America mid america council 2010 national jamboree patch

Well we all know that the UP has honored the BSA on its 100th anniversary, so here's this:

http://www.mac-bsa.org/camp_details.aspx?ID=483

It says it all right there.

The Rocket
Pacific
M10000
Big Boy
FEF3
E9
SD40-2 Desert Storm
SD70
cowcatcher

By the way, if it is construed as illegal for a company to use an american flag on its equipment, is UP wrong for saluting its soldiers in Operation Desert Storm with it's special SD40-2 in camo??? I sure hope not, and I'd like to see it in Trainz!

Good for you. Back in 1983 when The Boys' Brigade celebrated it's 100th as an international movement that year a mainline pasenger railway engine had the organisation's name put on it. (BB preceed the Scouts and camping by 21 years -in fact helped to start the Movement). I know that they used to name N. Ireland Rly DMU sets in Ulster after people and organisations too. All this gives a more community linked attitude between rail and the world in general I think.

Back in 1983 when The Boys' Brigade celebrated it's 100th as an international movement that year a mainline pasenger railway engine had the organisation's name put on it. (BB preceed the Scouts and camping by 21 years -in fact helped to start the Movement).
I was at the centenary celebration at Ibrox stadium that year. Never seen anything more impressive than the Glasgow Battalion taking up the opposite side of the ground.

Well, maybe CN is more sensible in that regard because neither CN or CP put canadian flags on their locos, the closest that CP ever does is put on the golden beaver...

Hi Amegacooke,

Glad to hear you were at The Boys' Brigade Centenary Celebrations at Ranger's Ibrox Statium back in '83. My company around the 3rd oldest in Glasgow Battalion had a good turnout with some 50 Boys turning out. (The 76th was 100 in 1987). I was captain at the time. Scotrail named an engine after the BB and so did N. Ireland Railways. Did have a video of the Saturday and Sunday events at Ibrox but lost the dashed thing.

WTF??? This is a nothing thread about a nothing issue. Is there anything that is going to change by griping about it on this message board? Hmmmmidontthinkso. After six months and six pages, haven't we run it into the ground?

You are right of course. For the love of me think that there are few countries where people get so heated about a flag on a train. It was even suggested here in one reply that legal action should be taken! Daft.

Back