Hated Locomotive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'l admit, there are some bad-looking locos in the world. But does that mean that they're bad?

There are very few locos I dislike - That's dislike, not hate. Hate is too strong a word, to be reserved for special occasions. Even if they aren't aesthetically pleasing, they can still be a nice loco. Mostly what has been posted here are things that are simply ugly - I haven't seen one that is non-functional, or has a lack of character, or both.

i dislike the ns engines that are long nose forward, imagine running backwards for 200 miles. trust me, its not fun. i also hate (don't know the series) of engines that you have to go to three different panels to get the thing to start. the first panel is behind the isolation switch, second one is behind the engineers door, and third is down the back steps. then the start switch is in the cab! i also hate "greengoats"..especially the ones the up has, the Air conditioning is non existant and horsepower is a joke.also when you go to make a joint, the drawbar on the engine swings so wide you can't possibly make it but on straight track, which is never the case ANYWHERE. also, i can't stand a dirty locomotive, i know some of you consider it cool and all, but oil on your clothes for 12 hours, give me a break, PRESSURE WASH THE ENGINE! anyway, hope that clears that up =)

I'l admit, there are some bad-looking locos in the world. But does that mean that they're bad?

There are very few locos I dislike - That's dislike, not hate. Hate is too strong a word, to be reserved for special occasions. Even if they aren't aesthetically pleasing, they can still be a nice loco. Mostly what has been posted here are things that are simply ugly - I haven't seen one that is non-functional, or has a lack of character, or both.

I personally think diesels have a huge lack of character.

The uglier the better, show me those odd-ball loggers and Ill love em'

behemoth-01.jpg

cheers

Do you high hood and long hood forward haters also hate safety?

Do you camelback haters hate visibility?

Do you fat boiler haters hate power?

Do you Climax and narrow gauge haters hate versatility?

'Nuff said.

'Nuff said.

I thought this thread was based purely on aesthetics, not actual reliability.

Now it's clear why I do not hate a single locomotive. They all have some sort of problem, but all have one thing in mind; making freight movement by rail economical and easier.

Canadian locomotives may look a tad unsightly with the safety cabs, but I love them not only because I enjoy the neat looks they have, but the features when it comes to emergencies:

run04.jpg

That's after it crashed into another train after being a runaway.

Cheers,

Joshua

Last edited:

'Nuff said.

'Nuff said, and well said.

This thread is the perfect brooding ground for a lot of disputes and unhappy people. You all may not like me saying this, but this is the type of thread that DOES need to be closed. It's a ticking time bomb for some grand, nasty arguments, just waiting to happen... :eek:

There's only one CPR Olympic scheme.. :sleep:

I dislike most modern widecab GE power on the road, I've talked with a lot of hoggers and the general opinion is that they don't respond easyand they are rolling pieces of trash..

Put a triforce of SD40-2's on a freight and I'm a happy camper!

cam
Oh, oops (I sware on a dime I saw a picture with 3 of them sitting together)

'Nuff said, and well said.

This thread is the perfect brooding ground for a lot of disputes and unhappy people. You all may not like me saying this, but this is the type of thread that DOES need to be closed. It's a ticking time bomb for some grand, nasty arguments, just waiting to happen... :eek:
Exactly.:eek:

Electro-Motors Division "Areotrain". It was a failed attempt at making the phenomenal new "Train of Tomorrow" that GM ever so sought out for. It's locomotive prime mover and mechanics are identical to their SW1200 locomotive. The new locomotive model was the EMD LWT12. It was created as a trainset demo, and painted for some railroads that wanted to have their own demos to toy with the new equipment. They ended up scrapped, except for one, pictured above. As bad as it was I personally believe its refurbishment is well deserved for it was a very important piece in EMD's history.

More information for the curious is all well made here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItV2ymPPGM

Cheers,
Joshua

AeroTrain

The AeroTrain is my grandson's favorite train. When I showed him a picture of it in pieces at the National Museum of Transport in St. Louis, he freaked out and vowed to major in whatever it took to qualify him to repair it. It looks as if the museum got some money and people to do it themselves. No problem, there's still an old steam engine in Grand Rapids, Ohio that needs a little work...

The AeroTrain coaches were built out of bus bodies as a cost-saving measure. They were so lightweight that passengers were bounced around.

If I recall correctly, the AeroTrain was designed by one of the Buick designers, so any similarities may be intentional. From what I've read, the design wasn't a total loss: The styling concept ended up influencing GM's 1950s car designs. Then again, thinking of the fins, maybe it was a loss... Kidding! I loved the fins, especially on the DeSoto, but that's another story.

BTW (you're all going to think I'm crazy), in 1994, I designed a car called the AeroCar that was inspired by the AeroTrain. (Not to be confused of the flying car by the same name.) A clay model is sitting on my bookshelf.

-- Russ Schwartz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back