A small problem

angelah

Not mine, my friend next door. He has a laptop that is online all the time and has an antivirus called Caspersky or something like that.
The problem is we cannot find out how to turn the ruddy thing off!
We need to install Trainz 2004 and I am guessing that any antivirus would prevent a proper installation.
maybe Casperskey allows it, I don't know, but has anybody any ideas/suggestions.
I think he's running W7.

Angela

Angelah,

I run Symantec virus protection and have never had any problems installing any version of Trainz without shutting down Symantec.

Auran advises that virus protection be shut down.... I guess thats just an extra assurance that the install will go well.

Worst case is try the install, see how it goes and hope for the best.

I am sure others will have different views on this subject.... just offering my experience to you.

Regards,
Ron

As aardvark states, the 'turn off virus protection' is mostly Auran trying to 'make things less likely to break', I've never had a problem with installing anything with my anti-virus running.

That said...

http://support.kaspersky.com/kav7/all?qid=208279388

Should explain most of what you need to do, should you actually need to temporarily disable Kaspersky.

Edit: The animated image of how to disable kaspersky actually goes too far, just unchecking 'enable protection' in the 'protection' settings dialog it shows should be enough, the image is showing how to disable it for a longer term process - and a little overkill.

Thanks

Thanks for reply both of you. I won't be able to do it today because I have already been on my feet too long and pain has set in.
Another day...

I will come back on this one after we try the install with the antivirus running...

Cheers,

Angela

A SMALL PROBLEM

Angelah I have just installed 2004 on my laptop which has vista in it and I did not switch off anything it loaded then accepted the patch to maximum build I can get everything except I cannot get the DLS to work - thinking of transfering a copy of the download folder into my laptop but do not know how and helpdesk is not helping on anything 2004 they say out of date in your experience any ideas

Laptops

I don't use a laptop, my PCs are all Desktops. This one is my next door neighbours who it seems, cannot even work the ruddy thing. So I get the job.
And it's also W7 which I have no idea about as I use XP (good old XP I say), and things get 'hidden' in later versions of the Win OS.
Anyway, I did get Trainz 2004 installed by bringing his laptop away from him and getting it onto a stable platform so it doesn't wobble about (he is an invalid and in bed).
The first install came up with an error InputSystem.dll missing. But on unistalling and reinstalling Trainz worked.
I did not try to go online, it is not my machine so didn't want to do anything to it without express permission, he can do that, he's big enough and old enough.
So I am afraid I am unable to help anybody with laptop problems, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for personal use.

Sorry,

Angela

hope this helps!

Angelah, I use Kaspersky 2010. If you right click on the red (K) at the bottom right of screen, that will bring a pop up box, from there select pause protection.
dwnlogo.gif

then another box will pop up giving you a choice of three options, a flexible time option, a re-boot option, and a restart it yourself option.
I normally go with the re-boot. It's safer and less hassle.
If you are using Windows 7, you mite have to open up the box at the bottom right, where the clock is, as Windows 7 hides most of the icons. Although I use Vista, I find Windows 7 not to my liking. But my friend has one, and keeps calling me each time he has a problem, soon I will know more about Windows 7, than I do about Vista! :hehe:

Last edited:
To get TRS2004 to run properly under Vista (and 7, i think) is to run the install file as Administrator. To do this, first cancel the auto install. Then navigate to the disk in My Computer then right-click on the setup.exe file and select Run As Administrator. I've been running TS2010 exclusively, so it's been a while. Maybe another forum member could verify this. Good luck!

Darrel

No such option

I did start the install from the CD and the setup.exe file but never got an option to run as Administraot. Oddly that's how I run it on XP, my own PC.

Anyway it runs on his laptop so he's happy now.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Angela

Back