The Kentucky and Tennessee Railway-V2

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
Hello Community,
The
KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
VERSION TWO
Is now under way!

I will be offline for the next eight days so I hope these shots will do for now.
It starts at the Kingston Power Plant and currently runs to HWY 27 in harriman.
trainz2010-01-0420-03-55-37.jpg

Just on the other side of the hill from the power station.
trainz2010-01-0619-50-41-08.jpg

HWY 27 Business District.
trainz2010-01-0619-50-48-67.jpg

Interstate 40 Overpass Details.
trainz2010-01-0619-51-02-93.jpg

Baumgarten Road Crossing.
trainz2010-01-0619-51-21-71.jpg

Ruritan Road Overpass.
trainz2010-01-0619-51-32-94.jpg

Pine Valley Road Crossing.
trainz2010-01-0619-51-41-89.jpg

Along the Hassler Valley Road houses.
trainz2010-01-0619-51-55-53.jpg

Emory River Approach.

That's all for now.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,
Woody:wave:

Hi All,

I'll try to get some more shots up soon!

Been dealing with a little business on the railroad lately...:cool:

Cheers,

In-Decisive...

Thank God for fishlipsatwork!
Paul (FL@W) has already made an excellent DEM (...I'm sure Allen has told me that a 1,000 times...) for this route from Harriman to Cookeville and Monterey to Wilder.
Thus, the pictures above are no longer representing the route.
I've tried doing it on my own, but I'm just not there yet.
Here are some shost taken from Brotherton Mountain Road.
trainz2010-01-1919-34-14-06.jpg
trainz2010-01-1919-34-21-12.jpg

Of course, the scenery is strictly in it's beginning stages, this gives a very rough depiction of the finished product.

I have KT Trackage laid between Monterey and Cookeville, the track it completely leveled between Monterey and Brotherton Mountain.

Perhaps you noticed in my above post, "Been working on business with the railroad"?
That means that Red_TVRM and I have merged the Volunteer Line and Kentucky and Tennessee under a single holding company in which we both own shares.
Southeastern Rail Holdings LLC, is the holding company that we came up with to run the two railroads.
There is a large TVA Power Plant at Kingston, VLR coal supplies it.
With the new partnership, Volunteer Line is able to get its product to customers in Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia and Alabama whereas before they were reduced to eastern Tennessee and southern Kentucky.
And Kentucky and Tennessee is able to deliver it's products to VLR to reach the communities they serve.

Wonderful eh?

Cheers,

Here is the original story for the KT:
KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
Company Profile
In 1997, plans were drawn up to connect central Tennessee with Knoxville and Nashville, a group of investors saw a decent rail connection would serve this purpose.
It took the group until 2002 to secure a government grant approved directly by President George W. Bush to re-build the former Tennessee Central Railway from Hopkinsville, Kentucky to Harriman, Tennessee with extensions to Oneida, TN, Evansville, IN, and Charlotte NC.
March 9, 2003...Construction is half-way complete.
October 24, 2004...Construction is complete, Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen speaks at the dedication ceremony along with President George W. Bush and Rev. Billy Graham.
On February 7, 2006 Kentucky & Tennessee drew up plans to merge with the Paducah & Louisville Railroad, and on April 4, it was complete, P&L did not retain a full name, but rather a new paint scheme was unveiled for KT, and engines working formerly owned by P&L were painted in same scheme with the Paducah & Louisville name under the KT logo.
KT MoW forces began upgrading the entire P&L mailine from 25 & 30 mph to mostly 40 & 45mph track speeds.
On January 30th 2007, KT announced it’s intentions to re-build a former Jasper, TN-Pikeville, TN rail line with an extension to connect with KT’s mainline at Crossville.
This subsidiary would be named the “Sequatchie Valley Railroad” and such name would be applied to three locomotives the were to work it.

On June 5th 2008, the Kentucky & Tennessee merged with the Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia Railway to form connections into Alabama and Georgia.
The Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia name was thus applied to the former T.A.G locomotives, which were mainly GP9’s.
On November 4th 2008, Kentucky & Tennessee merged with the Indiana Railroad.
Unlike previous mergers, the Indiana Railroad fleet would not receive KT colors, but rather a completely new IRR paint scheme was designed.
The company continued to grow throughout the next year, with a major contract coming aboard.
United Parcel Service signed KT to take an intermodal train from Charlotte, NC to Louisville, KY.
A fairly complicated routing was used however, the train would travel from Charlotte to Harriman, then take Norfolk Southern up to Lexington where NS connects with KT’s former RJ Corman Central Kentucky Lines, then it would take Corman to the ex-P&L line then take P&L into Louisville.
As freight service continued to grow, KT double tracked the Nashville to Evansville line and added a 6 mile siding spur at Crossville.
January 2009, KT makes a historic purchase of an ex-BNSF locomotive, number 1460, the “Beep” finds a home on KT, switching cars from local industries at Crossville and pulling them to Cookeville’s Yard.
October 23rd 2009, Kentucky and Tennessee begins taking serious looks at The Volunteer Line Railroad, which runs north out of Knoxville.
KT President T.A.Wood began to draw up plans for a merger while Vice President G.S Sneed was oppositional to the merger. However President of Operations S.E Mast was more than excited about this possible merger.
The Kentucky & Tennessee OCS made it’s first trip over Volunteer Line track on November 25th with all KT officers aboard.
Plans were drawn up by both railroads with officers from both being proponents and opponents of the possible merger.
However at this time of publishment, plans have not been completed.
The line would primarily serve as the eventual route of the UPS Intermodal train from Charlotte to Louisville.
Kentucky & Tennessee is also interested in the railroad for it’s routes through coal-rich mountain country, which if brought aboard would completely phase out Norfolk Southern’s service to the Harriman-Kingston TVA Power plant on the Clinch River.
KT would be the sole provider of coal to the plant bringing in money to improve the existing Volunteer Line tracks.
KT is also interested in VL because of it’s many connections to mountain communities that are accessible by truck, but rail is the preferred alternative.
KT is also moving on VL because of it’s large SD40-2 fleet, which Kentucky & Tennessee would re-build into SD40-3 models at the KT Jamestown, Tennessee Shops.
Management wise, KT is highly interested in VL’s president and management staff, largely to replace poor management conditions at KT.
If the two were to merge, Volunteer Line’s president would become Kentucky & Tennessee’s Vice President ousting Sneed to Cumberland Division Chief Operations Officer.
Current Cumberland Division COO Mast would then be in charge of the proposed “Volunteer Corridor”.
KT is also very interested in VL as a Knoxville Bypass, currently KT uses their former Knoxville and Holston River track age which is limited to 10mph on the river front.
However, when the two finally merged on January 6th, 2010 plans were drawn up to create a holding company, keeping the two seperate operations.
Management Staff would not change after all.
Both KT and VLR are very happy with the final agreements.

KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
Locomotive Roster
200-206 B40-8 (ex-BNSF Railway)
801-867 GP10 (ex-Paducah & Louisville
868-891 GP16 (ex-RJ Corman)
945-999 GP11 (ex-Paducah & Louisville)
1001-1015 GP38-2
2025-2070 GP40-2
3140-3146 SD40
3200-3255 SD40-2
3308-3329 SD40-3
3330-3331 SD40-T2 (ex-CN/DMIR)
3411-3417 SD38 (ex-EJ&E)
4400-4412 ES44AC
4413-4415 ES44AC Hybrid
5000-5004 SD50
6010-6011 SD60
6781-6782 FPA-4
7032-7038 C30-7 (ex-CSX)
8120-8140 GP9RM
9701-9703 FP9 *rebuilt with Computer System.
9704-9705 F9
9706 Australian Class CL

Last edited:
Looking good and that locomotive roster is not bad either, that should be enough to keep a great railroad such as this running for a long time!:cool:

Yes, the engine roster is quite large for a mid-size railroad, however many of the units in the list are out of service.
GP9RM's 8127-8139 are out of service and are stored at both the Jamestown and Paducah shops.
GP10's 860-867 are out of service also and are at home in Paducah, where they were built by Illinois Central Gulf.
The B40-8's are all used in service to the Crab Orchard based Franklin Industrial Minerals hauling trains to both east and west points on the railroad.
The SD40-T2's are only used in helper service mainly on Brotherton Mountain and on the way up to Ozone from Rockwood along I-40.
Those are both very daunting grades, as they are the approach to the Cumberland Plateau.
9701, 9703 and their B Unit 9702 are the business units.
They are much like NS' Business Units equipped with K5LA horns, however ours have a Computer System much like an ES44AC, Completely digital displays the whole nine yards.
Our business train can reach up to 16 cars in length.
Plus we have an extensive excursion program with events such as the Polar Express in December and we also run several regular Christmas trains up the Sequatchie Valley line too.
We use the 44AC Hybrids in TVA coal trains as we do the C30-7's.

If anyone has any questions regarding the railroad, please ask!

Cheers,

Almost to Algood!

Hello Everyone,
Good news!
I've managed to get from the Brotherton Mountain Peak all the way to 1 mile outside of Algood.
And here is the crwon jewel of the bridges...
trainz2010-01-2018-39-03-18.jpg

That's right, a big, bad concrete bridge.
Perhaps you can see the HOG track texture curves to the left on the approach there?
Well, The original Tennessee Central grade circled around this hole, however with today's engineering KT Trackage Department forces put together this huge bridge spanning this gap.
Rather than using the steep, windy half-circle, we decided to go straight through.

Please give me your thoughts!

Cheers,

Thanks 5521, there is a lot of effort going into this.
This railroad is the railroad I dream of owning one day, semi-fictional.
Oh how many times I've dreamed of seeing the TC re-opened.

I love it all
Cant wait for it
I am doing my own verion featuring 2 tennessee central steamers in the 50's

Seriously? The last post in this thread was OVER A YEAR AGO. You've been told so many times to not bump or use caps and whatnot, do you read what anyone else posts?

Aggravated Steve :sleep:

Back