Should We Electrify Freight RR?

No interest

I never really had an interest in electrics anyway. But if you could give them a good grunt-like nature to them, I'd be glad to accept them. There was a concept electric in the 1970's that EMD made that I am interested in though.

he's leaving?

It seems I upset someone as the last post I made has been deleted, I did not insult anyone or go against the CoC, so as far as this thread is concerned, I'm outa here

Never mind, I'm just sorry you left!

Last edited:
Thanks alot!

that is going to cost alot of money to convert the whole railroad to run on electricity but I am still perplexed about this idea though!

Last edited:
Hi All: I sorry you two guys think you got your toes stepped on..I think this thread can cover all ramifications of all types of subject matter..Everything I have read so far has pertained on some angle of the subject..I don't understand you because you are so against this thread..Try to be more on the subject if it bothering you??

Bob Cass:) :)

Hi All: I sorry you two guys think you got your toes stepped on..I think this thread can cover all ramifications of all types of subject matter..Everything I have read so far has pertained on some angle of the subject..I don't understand you because you are so against this thread..Try to be more on the subject if it bothering you??

Bob Cass:) :)

alright, I'll try!:cool:

I'm tryin'

Alright, I'm tryin'... I just didn't like the idea of depending on an overhead wire. Just seems fragile.

I never really had an interest in electrics anyway. But if you could give them a good grunt-like nature to them, I'd be glad to accept them. There was a concept electric in the 1970's that EMD made that I am interested in though.
As I understand your argument against electrification, it's that you aren't personally interested in going to watch electric locos pulling trains.
It probably should be mentioned here that the purpose of electrification would not be to entertain train fans. It would be to decrease the cost per ton-mile of operating the railroad. Personally, I would support steam locomotives for all freight operations, but it's not economically competitive.
In areas with a high level of traffic, electrification would be an excellent investment. Over the long term the electric locomotives would return a much reduced cost in maintenance and repair.
And as for the fragile overhead wire, Pennsy was using overhead since 1915, and Japan has been running successfully at speeds over 150mph since 1964. So far it has been quite successful.

:cool:Claude

So a mute point....

:cool: We will never run out of trains as have been done.

I have no access in this town to anything but resale Diesel-electric...

But....

Auran Trainz RULES!

Just the design.

Alright, If you could make something that just looks like a Dash 8, Geep, etc. with a pantograph and a good ol' American Air Horn, I'd be fine with it. But I just like a locomotive with a "Grunt" charicteristic about it. :)

"Little Joe's" had plenty of grunt about them. So did GG1's for that matter if you ever stood next to one and listened to that evil hum they put out, a touch me and you die kind of hum.

Alright, If you could make something that just looks like a Dash 8, Geep, etc. with a pantograph and a good ol' American Air Horn, I'd be fine with it. But I just like a locomotive with a "Grunt" charicteristic about it. :)
Hard to do without exterior changes. Whenever an American company makes an electric locomotive, it usually is for export to a foreign nation with few exceptions. There are models using similar equipment they just look different on the outside.
Here's a topic on another forum with picture links of a GE E25B, what another there said was GE's last electric freight locomotive for use in North America by a Texas coal company.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26305&hilit=U25B+cab
I saw a picture once of some UxxC model that was modified for electric service but only one was done.

So, you want an American electric locomotive with a nose that looks like a dash 8 or a geep? How about this lovely thing?
Clipboard09-2.jpg

That is probably why there are no low nose electrics. They're ugly.
However high nose electrics look good.
pictures_5233_zzUntitled-6b.jpg

pictures_25067_PRR4422-681217Potoma.jpg

And this was just made by NS, a battery powered locomotive.
pictures%5C3536%5CNS-999%5BBP20%5D--Altoona,PA%5BROSE%20YARD%5D-20091021-174709.jpg

So, you want an American electric locomotive with a nose that looks like a dash 8 or a geep? How about this lovely thing?
That's the locomotive I was looking for but couldn't find. Cannot remember what it is called, I believe it was a "one of" made from a UxxC model.

That is probably why there are no low nose electrics. They're ugly.
However high nose electrics look good.
Which ones are those? PRR and PC had a few.

And this was just made by NS, a battery powered locomotive.
Don't know much about this one but I will say the non-black paint looks nice.

Better.

Now those look like american locos right there! I just always think of some metro "passenger box" when I think of electric. But those you showed me look like they actually have "grunt" to them!:D

The two electrics excluding EMD's prototype electric from when electrification from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh was proposed are the: Penn Central (ex-New Haven and ex-Virginian E33) and the Pennsylvania Railroad's E44 electric. It was the railroad's last locomotive before Penn Central.

Why do electric trains have to be locomotive hauled? Has anyone considered multiple units? I've always thought that if electrification was made a reality, that the days of passenger trains under a loco-hauled service would be reserved for continental(I distinguish between LD and Cont'l distance and whether there's sleeping accomodations) services. MUs would look a whole lot nicer at least on short, medium, and long distance hour to day-long services. Although aesthetics aren't really that important(well, usually)

(btw, 3RD Rail only looks good in the UK, CTA EL, and NYCTA/MTA Area)

The main reason (at least in the US) that passenger trains are locomotive hauled is a case of limitations. Keep in mind, much of the US is not electric powered. Ok, nearly ALL of it isn't. If you had a series of dedicated EMU's, then they'd only be able to operate on electric lines. As opposed to having an electric locomotive and coaching stock. At the end of the line, the loco can always be removed but the coaches continue on under diesel power.

Back