De-fragmenting a 1 terabyte drive

I just installed a new 1Tb external hard drive for archiving my Trainz stuff. 'Twas then that I found my copy of Executive Diskeeper is limited to 512Gb.

Does anyone know of a freeware de-fragger capable of handling terabyte drives?

~ Deane

All versions of Raxco PerfectDisk seem to support drives over 1TB.

There's a good comparison of the various versions here.

PerfectDisk 10 Pro is only $39.99 (IIRC) for a single license, and works a treat for internal, external, and virtual (Vmware) hard-disks under 32 or 64-bit Windows, although on my WinXP 32-bit machine I have stuck with PerfectDisk 7.

Warning : do NOT use PD10 to defragment bootable USB Keys - I did and now I have to rebuild my Knoppix bootkey.

Ive found that you need to split a 1TB drive into smaller sections. Ive split mine into 4 partions. This also helps in any disk searching and will also save on defrag of the complete drive.

Hey thanks!

I ended up with "Defraggler" by Piriform (same people who make CCleaner) - it's free and seems to have no trouble with my 1000GB drive. Quick too, since I can tell it to work on just the fragmented files and not waste time on the others. Can't see a down side to this yet..

:D

~ Deane

Hi,

A slight deviation to the discussion. I have a 1TB drive which is the only one which is used (the other drive is designated recovery).

Is there any benifit in splitting the drive e.g. keeping a separate section just for trainz.

Cheers, John

Deane, why on earth would you want to defrag a new drive? It doesn't make sense. As you copy files over, they will be completely unfragmented and ready to boogie. I have three 360 gig drives on my computer and I've never defragmented any of them in two years. Defragging is the lest of your worries when it comes to computer optimisation. I've written dozens of posts about this on these forums before.

I only have 25 years experience behind me so I realize I'm just a rank amateur

John, yes, partitioning makes sense. Windows has to index your drives to build a file table for My Computer. The bigger the drive, the longer it takes. Secondly, you can format one partition if it gets ugly. Other partitions are still secure. I have partitions for Trainz, Music and general stuff. All my drives despite not being defragged for two years are still lightning fast.

having said all that, I recommend defraggler. The defrag program that comes with Windows is known to be one of the most useless pieces of junk software ever written. That's official!

If you are going to defrag your hard disk drive/s, Defraggler would have to be one of the better free ones. - http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download
If you are after a free reg cleaner/cleaner, CCleaner would have to be one of the better ones; - http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Well, I'm not trying to go against the grain here, but I slightly disagree with some of the comments made in this thread.
I regularly defrag all my HDD each month with Defraggler. It's one of those issues where if you asked ten different experts about defragging, your likely to get two or three different views.
I personally find all of my computers seem to work better if they are regularly defragged. To give a balance view, read this independent experts views; - http://www.smartcomputing.com/edito...y/techsupport/25w10/25w10.asp&ArticleID=31194

So that I don't undermind any of the comments made in this tread, I have cut & pasted most of the above article;

As you continually install and uninstall programs and delete files over time, your hard drive's stored data begins to look like a patchwork quilt. Some programs will be stored in clumps here and there rather than contiguously, depending upon the space that was available when you installed them. Others may be located near the inner edges of your hard drive's disks (where data transfers are slowest), even though an application that you uninstalled has freed up space closer to the outer edges. Similarly, the hard drive may split up large chunks of data and store the chunks in different places. This happens when the drive is too fragmented to have a large enough area of contiguous free space.

Be aware that the performance you gain from defragmenting your hard drive could be moderate or none at all. If your drive wasn't all that fragmented to begin with, you really won't notice it at all. However, you should still defragment your drive on a regular basis because it makes the hard drive operate slightly more efficiently. The time the defragmentation process takes depends upon your hard drive's capacity and how fragmented it is. This could take a few minutes or more than an hour, so don't do this until after you have your work done. You may also have the option to defrag a diskette in your diskette drive, but any performance gain will be minimal. To make the most of the benefits gained from cleaning your hard drive, you should scan it for errors and defragment it after each minor or major cleaning routine. Uninstalling programs and deleting files can increase fragmentation on your hard drive—a process that scatters data across the drive and requires more system time when Windows and other programs need to find that data. But when you defragment the hard drive, the process packs that data together in a logical sequence, thereby helping your system perform at optimal speeds. Some computer experts suggest defragmenting your hard drive periodically. A defrag utility reorganizes the data on your hard drive so related files are stored in contiguous blocks rather than scattered in pieces around the drive. The idea is that by physically placing related data together on the drive, access to that data will be faster. Experts disagree on the effectiveness of defragging. You might give it a try if your hard drive seems especially slow, or if you've completed the other maintenance chores on this checklist and have a hankering to do more. Windows includes Disk Defragmenter, a defrag utility. In WinXP, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Disk Tools, and Disk Defragmenter. Third-party utilities such as Diskeeper (www.diskkeeper.com) add extra features.
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
I just installed a new 1Tb external hard drive for archiving my Trainz stuff. 'Twas then that I found my copy of Executive Diskeeper is limited to 512Gb.

Does anyone know of a freeware de-fragger capable of handling terabyte drives?

~ Deane
Look up IObit, then download Advanced SystemCare....they have a great defragger that can defrag more then 1 drive at once and the biggest drives you can think of... Also if you upgrade to Pro as I have, you can have an even superior defrag that will move file activated most to the front(beginning) of the drive for faster access.

I did look at IObit's Smart Defrag, but got put off by a couple of worrying threads I found on a geeks forum, eg. this one; http://forums.majorgeeks.com/archive/index.php/t-194715.html

and this one;
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=201154

Notice, neither of those guys actually comes back and says they solved their problems. Maybe they are 1 in a million users, I don't know..

By contrast, on my cursory survey of defraggers, I didn't see anything but good words said about Defraggler, and that seems to be confirmed by comments here.

As for why on earth I would want a defragger, well why on earth wouldn't I? I note the almost instant disagreement between 'experts' here. I'm not in a position to argue the technicalities, all I know is my main drives get rapidly fragmented and I'd at least like the ability to analyse and de-fragment whenever it seems necessary. If defragging didn't have any purpose, I'd have to ask why there are so many defrag programs out there and why the first piece of 'expert' advice for any Trainz problem (after the oh so trite 'have you updated your drivers?') is 'defrag your drive'. On balance, I'll have a defragger thanks.

I know partitioning can have some benefits but they are minimal as far as I'm concerned. I actually prefer the idea of having all my archived stuff in one place. Besides, I've already put my data on the disk, I'm not sure if I can partition it without needing to remove and put it all back again later. Even if I can, I'm not convinced I want or need to.

Does anyone know of a freeware de-fragger capable of handling terabyte drives? ~ Deane

Have you thought about partitioning the 1Tb drive into either 2 or 3 drives. (say; 311 gigs for Trainz's backup, 310 gigs for games backup & 310 gigs for music, films & programs, etc, backup). That way just about any defrag program will defrag them. - Just a thought !!!
And yes, I can add. 931 gigs = 1 Tb... ;)
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
I guess there are so many defraggers out there because people are obsessed by it. It's one of the easiest things a non-savvy person can do with a computer and because it takes so long to do it they think they're actually achieving something. it's that "feel good" thing. If you actually took time to read what a defrag does instead of worrying about which defragger is the best, you my be inclined to change your mind. But defraging a brand new disk in ludicrious.

Anyway, if it makes you feel good and you like to shove everything into the same partition, which is worse that 10,000 defrags, be my guest. I'll just hang on to my 25 years of computer repair experience and enjoy watching people like you struggle over nothing. It's a feel good thing you know.:)

But for those of you who are interested, defragging can become an issue if you're constantly copying and removing files from your disk. Examples that come to mind are people heavily into graphics programs, music amd movie copying. Copying stuff to your hard disk is one thing, but removing it is another. If you constantly remove backups of graphics files, you may create gaps that could cause the next file to be saved in two or three chunks. The time it will take your hard disk to locate three chunks compared to one continuous file would be a nanosecond. or less. You or I would never notice. As you disk may only read this file just once a session, it's really nothing.

Trainz is 2 gig, it has hundreds of files and some pretty big ones to boot. When it's running, Trainz has to jump from one file to another to collect data. That's no different that collecting data from a defragged disk. It's all part of a hard disks job so just let it do its job.

Some defraggers claim to put the most used files together at the front of the disk, but do they put them in the order they are used? of course they don't. The head may still have to jump 50 times to find what it wants. So as far as I'm concerned, a defragmented disk is still fragmented!

A degragmented or junk laden registry on the other hand, is something to concern ourselves about. That can have a serious affect on your computer's speed.

Last edited:
I did look at IObit's Smart Defrag, but got put off by a couple of worrying threads I found on a geeks forum, eg. this one; http://forums.majorgeeks.com/archive/index.php/t-194715.html

and this one;
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=201154

Notice, neither of those guys actually comes back and says they solved their problems. Maybe they are 1 in a million users, I don't know..

By contrast, on my cursory survey of defraggers, I didn't see anything but good words said about Defraggler, and that seems to be confirmed by comments here.

As for why on earth I would want a defragger, well why on earth wouldn't I? I note the almost instant disagreement between 'experts' here. I'm not in a position to argue the technicalities, all I know is my main drives get rapidly fragmented and I'd at least like the ability to analyse and de-fragment whenever it seems necessary. If defragging didn't have any purpose, I'd have to ask why there are so many defrag programs out there and why the first piece of 'expert' advice for any Trainz problem (after the oh so trite 'have you updated your drivers?') is 'defrag your drive'. On balance, I'll have a defragger thanks.

I know partitioning can have some benefits but they are minimal as far as I'm concerned. I actually prefer the idea of having all my archived stuff in one place. Besides, I've already put my data on the disk, I'm not sure if I can partition it without needing to remove and put it all back again later. Even if I can, I'm not convinced I want or need to.

IOBIT's Smart Defrag is a good program. I've used it on my 1-TB drives with good results. I no longer use it though because I had a free upgrade of my Diskeeper 2008 Premium Professional to DK 2009 PP.

2009 works great with the large drives and what's really nice about it is that it will also compress the MFT and defrag that as well. I found that made a big difference in performance right off the bat.

DK 2010 is due out soon (tm) and I have a free upgrade to that too.

I've used DK ever since it first came out, and I've always had good results with their software.

John

The time it will take your hard disk to locate three chunks compared to one continuous file would be a nanosecond. or less. You or I would never notice. As you disk may only read this file just once a session, it's really nothing.

John, what sort of a drive are you using that has sub-nanosecond seek times ? I'm sure we would all like the sort of performance boost this drive would give. Please post your suppliers details so we can all get one.

Meanwhile back in the real world .......

Dave Bird

I think my use of nanosecond was as outrageous as some the of the stuff discussed in this thread. People, not just on this forum, are so obsessed with file defragmentation, they can't see the forest for the trees.

I think my use of nanosecond was as outrageous as some the of the stuff discussed in this thread. People, not just on this forum, are so obsessed with file defragmentation, they can't see the forest for the trees.

John,

I think every community/hobby, has the OCD types in it. In real model railroading, there are the rivet counters, in the computer gaming forums and communities, there the performance junkies who will fry motherboards trying to eek out every last nano-second on their motherboards, video cards, and hard drives.

I agree disk defragmentation is only a small piece of the big picture when it comes to computer performance. Personally I have found that a combination of good computer housekeeping along with a once-a-month, defragment procedure, will help the computer performance overall.

The once-a-month defrag is good if I'm not doing a lot of file reading and writing, and in particular lots of small files which eat up drive access time. With Trainz, there are or used to be, lots of small data files, which require lots of drive access.

The reason, I think, is the data flow was never one smooth shot because the drive's onboard buffer never filled completely, and the drive's read heads have to constantly seek out the next small file to read in that one. This makes the drives work more overall and cuts down big time on the performance. By defragmenting, and consolidating the data in a smaller area, (not compressing), the disk access is much better.

One of the things I noticed is the larger drives are not as bad at becoming fragmented like their smaller relations, and over all the speed is higher. I think in part is the size of the drive so that the amount of sectors used, in relation to the total number on the drive, allow for better data spread on the drive's surface. The other thing too is the memory buffers are now controlled through better logic, perhaps with intelligent seek and read ahead capabilities, plus in general the data files are getting larger. In Trainz, trees and objects are now not in the few kilobyte size range. Instead, the new trees are a few megabytes in size. This makes a big difference in how the data is read in since the drive buffers are filled better and there is therefore less seek time as the heads look for the next bits of data.

John

Back