Forum mod wannabes, some tips from a long standing member.

Since these threads are becoming like vermin(!), may I suggest that if you really, really, REALLY want to be a forum mod, it would be advisable to contact http://www.auran.com/helpdesk expressing your interest.
Thats how I became a Mac beta tester (after they asked), thats how you may succeed. Relevant experience may add some weight, but don't be surprised if they don't allow you to be a forum mod.

More tips;
Don't spam helpdesk
Don't DEMAND to be a mod
Be polite
treat it like a job interview.
If they say no, don't go any further. They might in the future, contact you when they feel it is the right time to approach you with a proposal. When they say no, just leave it at that.

I hope this is some help to many who may want to be genuinely be in the running, than those starting up another "Vote for me thread" as its just starting to get silly now.

(As for mods, I know for a start, I won't be, as I have had one ban which makes a very big dent, plus various other areas in my behavior prevents me from doing so. And no, I have never been a mod in my life.)

Last edited:
I should mention that the "Vote for Me" threads (and the replies) steps the toes on CoC #19 which reads:
Interfering with, criticising and / or publicly commenting about moderation decisions. Messages commenting on or criticizing forum administrative actions will be removed without warning. Any complaints or disagreements regarding forum or chat room moderation should be made by contacting Helpdesk.
peter

I was a mod once, supervising ~5,000 members. It was a week of HELL.

Don't try to be moderator, you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

WEN,

If it were up to me, I would overlook your one time ban, and appoint you in a heartbeat ! Even though your sig says your not running .
You at least have been around the Forum for awhile, and your posts denote some intelligence, unlike most of the other 'runners' !

My thoughts ---,dave

There was an old thread called "How do you become a mod" or something like that. I searched but could not find it. The main qualification believe it or not was always be online.

WEN,

If it were up to me, I would overlook your one time ban, and appoint you in a heartbeat ! Even though your sig says your not running .
You at least have been around the Forum for awhile, and your posts denote some intelligence, unlike most of the other 'runners' !

My thoughts ---,dave

You really think so? I am not running, not because I don't want to do it, I just don't see if it is worth it.
I am not going to go to Auran and say "I wanna be a mod", I am not going to pester them for anything else, I'll just say, if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, well, doesn't really bother me, I am not going to grovel over it, I'll just do what I do best, making trains and never releasing them! ;) Besides, its an opportunity to learn how to deal with people, one I may not have again.

Another thing I was going to add, but didn't because I know too many would use their friends to post them messages on their behalf, if you genuinely believe someone should be a mod, recommend them and state why. Again, use helpdesk.

EDIT: The ban was actually because of my reaction to someone at the time. I won't say who, it was more my fault really and I accept that. I was going through an incredibly tough time at home, especially when your grandmother dies, there is all that estate left and the entire family is fighting over it. Not helped by my parents going through a messy divorce. (All this to gain so much money and your kids too!)

Last edited:
Back