Australian screenshots

I love this thread....
next? :) :eek: :hehe:

Bill that takes me straight back to one of my very first round flat black-thingies
of the late1950's/early 1960's....
Tijuana Brass!.
Just as big as, & looks strikingly wonderful!.

And the 'from-the-other-side-of-the-ditch' shots are also very nice. (NZ). :wave:

-

if there is any copyright issues on that pic below ill remove it, its a scanned photo from motive power issue no 61

scanbm2.jpg

screen012copydn9.jpg

Burntruss..........Wow that looks spectular! like its Real
Noel
I love this thread....
next? :) :eek: :hehe:
"And Now For Something Completely Different!"
Queensland Railways from the 40's to the 70's
A couple of DD's and the tanker collection all industry enabled
OBE Shell
OCA BP
OLA Ampol
OPA Golden Fleece
OPE Amoco
OTA Caltex
OVA Esso/Mobil I even have a old "Neptune" logo
qryd.jpg

FJ FJS and a CLC van industry enabled
and a old CLV.
qryd1.jpg

It's a shame people like him pop up... and more frequently on forums like this... He sounds a bit like Tyler... I would hate to see this thread closed too.

Nice screenie burntruss.

Chris

And the latest edition to the fleet

QR C17 Brown Bomber
just a reskin at the moment I need to remap a couple of things in Gmax
See I didnt even mention that person!
qryd4.jpg

well lets get back to whats this is all about "AUSTRALIAN SCREENSHOTS"
here's a couple of mine,
a busy afternoon at kuranda

kuranda.jpg

kuranda1.jpg

cheers,
patchy

Hi Burntruss & Dreddman,

Burntruss nicely done. Keep this up & you will be entering the halls of fame!.

Dreddman, once again you show attention to detail, & excellent choice of scenery items to use.
You have the knack of not only 'capturing' the essence of time & space,
but powerfully portraying the very 'life' of an era.
Truly inspiring work.

A question please......seeing as how your name-dropping some
long-gone 'essences' (well stinky fragrances of fuels :confused: :hehe: ),
would you perchance be able to do a Service Station pole-mounted faded & weathered
"Sign of the flying Red Horse" for me?. On a white circular faded pole please?.

I'm presently having a LBS*** attack, & don't recall the brand name!.

*** (Leaky Brain Syndrome. It comes with the dreaded SD's****) :sleep:
****(Senile Delinquency) :'( :cool: :eek: :hehe:

Noel I recently uploaded a bunch of oz buildings to the dls among these there was a dilapidated service station with a sign, it did not have the flying horse on the sign but it would be a small matter to reskin that portion of the model by simply changing the texutre for the sign.

on this subject, @ all queenslanders, all these buildings were modelled from plans of buildings around regional queensland
cheers
pete

ps, if my leaky brain is correct that is an early logo for the plume oil company which ended up as mobil oil

Last edited:
The Vacuum Oil Company was the first oil company established in Australia. Prior to this other brands of oil based products were marketed by overseas companies through their Australian agents.

The company set up their Queen Street, Melbourne, branch in February 1895, less than 30 years after Vacuum first started operations in the US. Vacuum Oil's first salesman in Australia, Mr David Clarke, sold the company's first barrel of lubricating oil to a gold mining operation at Eaglehawk, near Bendigo, on his first day in the job.

In March 1904, Vacuum Oil was officially incorporated under Victorian Law as a proprietary company, and in 1906 the company issued Australia's first ever chart of "Recommendations to Motorists" covering about 200 makes of car.

By 1908, Vacuum was growing rapidly and merged with the Colonial Oil Co, a company marketing kerosene and motor spirit, adding to Vacuum's specialty lubricant products. In 1916, Vacuum introduced its "Plume" and "Laurel" brands to the Australian market and a year later brought its first 100 gallon, horse drawn tank wagon into service.

As motor vehicles became more popular in Australia, Vacuum expanded its operations. In 1924 Vacuum opened its first bulk petroleum products terminal at Pulpit Point in Sydney and took delivery of its first imported bulk oil products cargo, a 1.5 million gallon shipment carried from the United States by the tanker "HT Harper".

A decade later, Vacuum introduced "Ethyl", Australia's first Super grade motor spirit. Around the same time in the US, Vacuum's parent company, Vacuum Oil Inc, merged with the Standard Oil Company of New York to become Socony Vacuum, then Socony Mobil that ultimately became Mobil Corporation. Vacuum replaced the famous Plume brand name with Mobilgas in 1954.

Hi Noel,

These are the signs I have available, but they are not weathered.

If any one can weather them or let me know how to, they are available.

Comtrain, nice bit of history.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill.

Noel I recently uploaded a bunch of oz buildings to the dls among these there was a dilapidated service station with a sign, it did not have the flying horse on the sign but it would be a small matter to reskin that portion of the model by simply changing the texutre for the sign.

on this subject, @ all queenslanders, all these buildings were modelled from plans of buildings around regional queensland
cheers
pete

ps, if my leaky brain is correct that is an early logo for the plume oil company which ended up as mobil oil
Hi pete,

I just looked on the DLS and could not find any buildings you may be referring to. Your last uploads are dated Jan 9, 2008 :) . Many other have mentioned in various threads about uploads disappearing so I wonder if yours was some of these.

Craig
:):):)

Final updates on some of my QR junk will be soon on the way ..... so there's nothing much for me to boast about...

Sorry, no screens!!!

Willem2: Many years ago I found some good weathering overlays through google, I don't have the address anymore, but if I recall correctly it didn't take long to find.

Hi Noel,

These are the signs I have available, but they are not weathered.

If any one can weather them or let me know how to, they are available.

Comtrain, nice bit of history.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill & Pete,

From memory that pole-mounted sign would have been this red-circled one. Not too sure of the dimension 'though. The service station probably only had say four bowsers out the front & a diesel one off to the side.
Bete if you like I can send you a GE (Google Earth) .kml/kmz file of the streetscape view of what's left of the old service station (now a car sales yard). It's on a corner lot in Deniliquin, but there will be others along our Narrandera_Tocumwal route.

And many thanks for a look-see at these awesome graphics!.:)

Hi Noel,

Send me the info and I'll see what I can come up with, I need a new project anyway.

Cheers,

Bill.

-

another one from me, tell me if their is a copyright issue and i will remove the picture. source of pic: railway digest october 2008 issue.

more to come if the photographers dont mind their pic being shown on here.
remember to tell me if you happen to be the owner of the pictures!

imgov9.jpg

screen013copyhf0.jpg

Hi Noel,

Send me the info and I'll see what I can come up with, I need a new project anyway.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill,

Give me a couple of days & I'll find the relevant sites that apply along our route. I should be able to get some GE Streetscape shots at least, & maybe even an actual sign or equivalent.
It was illuminated, the circular steel band from memory would have been nearly a foot deep, & the perspex/plastic graphics shallow 'domes' probably protruded four or six inches from that. my guess is, that it would have had to be a minimum 20 feet up the pole, & about four to five feet in diameter.
For something like that I guess pole of some one foot lower diameter, stepping in two joins to say eight inches or more?.
But when you come to make it I'm sure you will get it 'engineered' correctly. :)
My guess is, that steel band was a shallow U_Shaped profile, to allow access to the flourescent internal lighting units, by flipping out a perspex dome. Not sure how they might have been secured, other than maybe a stainless steel constriction band of some sort?.

Hi Noel,

thanks for that info I'll await your reply.

I just found this,

and my first attempt at weathering.

Cheers,

Bill.

Ps. Well done Burntruss.

Last edited:
Action at Billegulla

billegulla.jpg

Frantic activity at sleepy little Billegulla as N 453 shunts a pick-up goods and down local pass headed by A2 994 makes a brief stop.

Just thought I'd post a pic set somewhere other than in Queensland! (Though the pub is a refugee from the north. We need all the beer we can get to help us cope with the drought.).

Bill.

Last edited:
Back