windows vista railway sim 2006?

redbug25

Hi
atel
I have just bought a copy of trainz railway simulator 2006, i was told by the person on ebay i bought it on it would work on windows vista, however i have installed it today i then go and click on start the game, it starts the game for about 3seconds and then i get a message saying fatel error.

So does anyone know why? will it run on vista, or do i have to download a patch?

my laptop is a sony vaio and it has on there intel core 2 duo processor T7250 supports enhanced intel speedstep technolgy 2.00ghz.

Memory: 2GB/go DDR2 SD ram (2x1 GB/Go) (667MHz)

HDD 200GB/Go

Graphics: Moblie Intel GMA X3100

and im using windows vista home premium.

Could some please give me some advice weather this game will rum on my laptop or weather i could download a patch?

any information would be much apppraciated

thanks
grant

Hi Grant,

Do a search on this forum for the word vista and you should find plenty of threads offering advice. Most people seem to have eventually made Vista run Trainz.

John

I have look at the threads/posts on vista etc, treid all the advice given and get the same thing - a fatal error has occured,

with a message saying: Description - Hardware, Reason - Access violation.

Version Jet VRRRRR.RR - Build 1234 5QQQQQ.

is there any way i can get this game to work on vista???

please any suggestions.

thank you

OK, here goes.

Check you've got the latest drivers for your hardware, especially the video board.

Check on Microsoft's web site that you've got the latest version of DirectX.

When installing TRS2006, right-click setup.exe and select the option to "Run As Administrator". That advice seems fairly general for all programs.

Some sources suggest overriding the default target folder location during installation can make TRS2006 operative under Vista. Instead of accepting the default target folder of C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006, change it to anything else outside C:\Program Files, for example C:\Games\Auran\TRS2006.

Open the following file in Notepad: ...\Auran\TRS2006\trainzoptions.txt
Be sure to use a plain text file editing program to edit this file. Don't use a program which adds formatting, such as Microsoft Works or Microsoft Word. Anywhere in the file, add the following command on a line of its own and exactly as it is here:

-intro=disable

Save the modified file. This change will stop the cosmetic introductory video from playing when TRS2006 is started and is often reported to help when running under Vista.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the ...\Auran\TRS2006\bin folder. For each of the exe files in that folder, right-click the file's name and in Properties select the "Run As Administrator" option.

Try swapping TRS2006 between using DirectX and OpenGL. Sometimes one will work and the other one won't, or one works far better than the other.

Hope this helps and sorry if you've already tried all of these ideas.

John

Last edited:
Thanks john for the info and advice...

treid what you said and still same problem (gutted) looks like games going in the bin as i cant get a refund.

thanks anyway john

grant.

Thanks john for the info and advice...

treid what you said and still same problem (gutted) looks like games going in the bin as i cant get a refund.

thanks anyway john

grant.

Your card maybe the problem, have you tried Intels drivers? The ones that Vista include (guessing) are really no good. I'll have to try TC when I get a laptop, thats a bit like yours and give you some feedback when I do.

your graphis card is crap
but you should be able to get ti to work
start trainz go to options, secont tab tick direct x
game works in vista it's your laptop that is the problem not the opperationg system or the game,
Next time talk to someone that knows about computetr before spending any money

your graphis card is crap
but you should be able to get ti to work
start trainz go to options, secont tab tick direct x
game works in vista it's your laptop that is the problem not the opperationg system or the game,
Next time talk to someone that knows about computetr before spending any money

oh, thanks for the reply and info, I will upgrade the graphics card asap, could you please recomend some which are quite cheap off ebay?

I did talk to someone about trainz on ebay (from whom i bought it from) told him my latop requirements, and he said trainz would work no problem.

But thanks again to all those who repiled and offerd great Advice :)

thanks
Grant

RE: Vista

have you tried running TRAINZDIAG in the install folder BIN??
i ran that and it worked perfectly under VISTA Ultimate..
it should work the same in other releases of Vista as MS
use the same Basic Operating System and just write in
blocks (AS in greyed out boxes in some cases to stop
people using a certain feature)

IF NOT TRY GOINT INTO THE BIOS (Ussually F2 or the
del key on startup) and set the amount of shared memory
to somthink like 12mb or 256mb shared with vga or video

Does the computer's manual have any information about what types of video boards (if any) can be fitted?

For desktop computers the nVidia 7600 and higher models generally have very good reputations.

As well as eBay, it might be worth a look at Tom's Hardware Guide, Amazon, Dabs, EBuyer, Maplin and Play.com for specs, reviews and prices. These are UK links, BTW.

HTH, John

Ive got the 7600 and dont have a problem with 06 once it is set up.

Hi

What do you mean by 7600 and once its set up?

Sorry to keep asking all these questions, its just i know very little about pc games/specs etc.

So maybe i could not be doing the set-up for trainz right for vista?

as i dont really know what people mean by "bois" etc, i have followed all advice/intructions givin to me by all you good people, So if there is a way i could run this game on vista with out a new graphics cards, could somebody please tell me a step-by-step idots guide on how to do it (like an idot i am i evan had trouble installing Football manager, when it were just a simple little problem)

But thanks again for advice/replys & John for the links - i will have a look at them.

All much appracated

Thank you
grant

com tech of 20 years say your bu??ered
sorry
cannot fit another graphics card to you laptop
will need to bin the laptop and start again with a better one
nothing wrong with your laptop for word emails etc but for trainz it's.....
anyway did you try running it under direct x and the guy above that said trainz diag gave good advice.
what dose it fail on????
ati and nvidia are responsiable for the xboxes
intel make good cpu's (which you have but rubbish video cards
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I still recon you can mak trainz word all be it badly

sorry
cannot fit another graphics card to you laptop
will need to bin the laptop and start again with a better one

Winjmoore, you are a bit too blunt with your statement, aren't you?

I've got TRS2006 to work on a SiS chipset laptop, yes it worked, only in Railyard and wasn't very fast, but it worked. The thing with SiS, is that they never updated the drivers to my laptop, so I suffered badly.

Intel on the other hand do and despite what you think, Graphics cards cannot be grafted into a laptop at all, since they are all intergrated, if you change the graphics card, you invalidate the warranty on the laptop and may cause other problems, like blow it up or stop it working all together.

Oh and don't bin the laptop, just do some driver hunting, intel is the best place to go. My guesses is that your drivers are either ones that came with vista, or generic ones.

By any chance, did you try Direct X mode or Open GL mode in the settings? Switching does help in some situations.

redbug25,

Can you give us the precise model number of your laptop please? Then we can download the manual from Sony's web site, take a look, and maybe possibly perhaps be able to offer more advice. No promises though, the graphics card issue doesn't look hopeful I'm afraid :(

John

Winjmoore, you are a bit too blunt with your statement, aren't you?.
Indeed
But if you reread what I said its the same as what you said.
Concerntrate:D
Anyway I recon hes got it sorted in DX
cause he has stoped asking questions.
Consider yourself lucky sis don't update their drivers there are some AGP and IDE drivers from sis that just break 98
I'd scorn you for having sis but i know your other system is great

Hi all

thanks for all the replys.

the laptop model No: Sony Vaio VGN - NR 11 Z/S.

I treid switching the direct X and stuff in the options menu and have downloaded the latest Direct X 9 still same problem.

A bit off topic, but my PC before this latop which was not as good as my laptop used to run mircosoft trainsimulator fine on XP, and my laptop is twice as good as my old pc, as my old pc would not run football manager, but my laptop does and quite fast too.

So is there a chance a could download some software to maybe get trainz to work?

Thanks again for all the replys, and sorry for not replying quicker.

Thanks
Grant

Hi all

thanks for all the replys.

the laptop model No: Sony Vaio VGN - NR 11 Z/S.
That would be useing a Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family graphics card then.

I treid switching the direct X and stuff in the options menu and have downloaded the latest Direct X 9 still same problem.

Sorry DirectX mode did not work for you. As for updating to directx 9 Odd really as Vista come with direct X 10 but you will not have harmed your PC.
Also Try turning everything down to minimum in tuning options. Not in efects as that.... Rell read and imagine the results

A bit off topic, but my PC before this latop which was not as good as my laptop used to run mircosoft trainsimulator fine on XP, and my laptop is twice as good as my old pc, as my old pc would not run football manager, but my laptop does and quite fast too.

There are many cool thing inside your laptop and I'm sure it proccess info twice as fast as your old one. But as your are finding out your graphics are less than satisfactory / Totally usless

So is there a chance could download some software to maybe get trainz to work?.

I think you might need to increase the amount of memory available to the graphics card. I dought that your driver is an issue howeever you could try updatuing it
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2800&lang=eng should lead you to the right page.
As it works fin for a few seconds it could possably be the overhead in vista. Try ending all the tasks with your name beside them.
Because of the complexities you might choose to get someone near yourself to check these things out for you
And if all that fails well I have had mixed results getting TRS2006 to work on graphics cards from intel.
Lastly I point you to what Auran says about the games needs.
Intel Pentium® 4 1.5 GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
64MB 3D Graphics Card (NVIDIA® GeForce equivalent)
Windows® XP/2000/ME/98
DirectX®9.0 or higher
DirectX compatible sound card
Approximately 4 GB free fixed disk storage

Last edited:
Back