BNSF Clovis Sub

Dermmy

Too many projects...
I have been working on this for a while and am far enough into it to be pretty sure this one will get released. When? When it's done.....

The plan is to do about 120 miles, from west of Belen NM to somewhere east of the Union Pacific junction at Vaughn NM. Sixty miles of track are down, from the Western Portals through to east of the summit at Mountainair NM, and almost all of that 60 miles is textured and detailed.

The modelling philosophy will be my usual near-enough approach. The base is DEM via HOG, the track is in the right place, but everything else (including track layout at major stations) is simplified in the interests of decent frame-rates. Even so this one will need a fairly brisk machine. It is designed for low camera views (cab view and fixed tracking cams) but looks best with the draw distance tweaked out to two or three kilometers with just a hint of 'fog' which makes a pretty convincing distant heat haze.

Enough prattling - on with some screenies....

screen_113.jpg

This shot captures the spirit of the place - miles and miles of not a lot. Makes it fast to texture :) The Rock Island did run through New Mexico, so these units are not entirely out of place. This skin (available from USLW) is one of the best of the best...

screen_117.jpg

Last edited:
The correct residents are of course BNSF and ATSF who built the thing in the first place, seen here passing the junction at East Sais where the line narrows to single track to traverse Abbo Canyon...

screen_086.jpg

BNSF are duplicating the line which forms part of their Transcon Route seeing endless strings of 8000 to 10000 foot stack and trailer trainz...

screen066wg7.jpg

More later,

Andy ;)

Last edited:
So is it done yet, were can I get that track, oh ya were can I get that loco its cool, J/K I love the pics great job and if you need anything let me know

lol I think the Rock is a bit far from home....

Awsome shots Dermmy. Looks like a route well worth waiting for.
Q: is it for TRS2004 or TRS2006?

Captkilljoy: lol

Hello Dermmy, that looks a lovely, long layout, is it point to point and are there many freight yards and stations please ?

Thank you.

Cheerz. e-railwayman.

Thanks fellas :)

Built in TRS04, but runs sweet in TRS06 where most of the screenies come from.

Route is point-to-point. Only one large station, Belen NM, see screenie below plus one large industrial area just outside Belen. I have modelled an abandonned ATSF ballast quarry in Abbo Canyon as still operational.

The route is two bi-directional mains neatly fouled by two long single track sections, one through Abbo Canyon and another through a long cut-and-fill just west of Vaughan. The route is reality is very busy - 100 trains a day - and the session/scenario challenge will be keeping everything moving. Trainz arrive via four portals - California, El Paso and Albuquerque (sp?) at the West end and Clovis at the East end. there are separate 'departure' portals for Cal, Alb and Clovis.

Trains are long and heavy and the route is graded at about 1% with the summit at Mountainair about half way along the route. Driving will be a challenge, particularly in TRS06 with wheelslip and coupler breakage on.

That's the plan....

----------------------------------------------------
A simplified version of Belen NM takes shape. Polys will be a problem hereabouts, but I think I can keep it smooth. So far so good, even with plenty hi-poly locos.

screen_120.jpg

Everything stops at Belen for inspection and/or fuel from two pit-stop fuel racks. An overpowered Eastbound grinds to a stop at the East fuel rack...

Andy :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Dermmy, your screenies have done you credit as it looks a fabulous, fabulous layout, I would really love to drive my long American freights on this route when you upload it onto the DLS, not sure about running 100 trains on it though, it'll give me an operational headache....:hehe: Aspirins will be put on the shopping list for this weekend.....LOL

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
Looking very good. I love the simplistic nature of it, yet when it comes time to operate there'll be a hundred trains floating around!

What rig do you run this on? I'd love to d/load but I fear my PC won't have the legs for it:confused:

Looking very good. I love the simplistic nature of it, yet when it comes time to operate there'll be a hundred trains floating around!

What rig do you run this on? I'd love to d/load but I fear my PC won't have the legs for it:confused:

Kismet,

If Andy's previous works are anything to go by, he seems to put priority on performance rather than needless frame rate crippling overclutter. Recommend you download his McCall Yard masterpiece and see how it runs on your machine.

Naturally my suggestion will not be an exact measure, but you may be able to get some sort of idea.

Cheers,
Simon.

Andy,
That is a sweet lookin route. You really captured the look of that region.

I would like to know what video card you are using? Those are very nice shots.

What do you mean that isn't real?

You didn't just photoshop it to have HOG textures in the background?

My hat is off to you, man! (er, well, it would be, except I don't normally wear hats whilst browsing the web before turning in :hehe: )

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Back