What are the coal/water units???

BrianPacos

Creator, BMP Trainz
I must be going crazy, but cannot for the life of me figure out what the units for the coal and water numbers are in a typical tender .config file. Trying to re-write my ATSF tender file to weigh the right amount and cannot figure out what numbers to put under "coal" (which is actually Bunker C fuel oil) and "water". Couldn't turn up an answer on Google, the Wikibooks, or here on the forums. Could anyone help shed a light???

Hi BrianPacos
The 'units' are the quantity of commodity you can have in that queue, based upon either the size or weight of the commodity.

For bulk loads, especially where you know the actual capacity carried of a particular commodity, you can work this out fairly easily.

I'm not sure which ATSF loco you're specifically working on, but I'll use 3751 as an example for you :)

First we find out the mass of the <kuid2:30671:9271390:2> Bunker c oil asset, which is 0.976 (so just under 1kg per unit), which according to a quick google is approximately right for 1 liter of bunker c oil.

Now we need to find out the capacity of the oil tank. According to wikipedia (which may not be accurate, but is fine for the example) 3751's oil tank holds 7,101 US Gallons. This needs to be converted to liters, thankfully wiki also gives us this, which is 26,880 liters.

From this we can calculate it like so:

mass in kg X capacity in liters = number of units in the queue

So:

0.976 X 26880 = 26234 units.

Regards

Back