Thread: Different colored water, texture, and level

Default Different colored water, texture, and level

As work progresses on the L&A I found this today.

How should I go about fixing this?

Dave

United States of America, Florida, jacksonville

i personally don't use layers but if i had to guess i would this could be a layer problem.
    ejb

Blog Entries

I haven't used it yet but Trainz+/TRS22 and (I believe) TRS19 SP4 onwards, has a new Water Effects Layer to add to the TurfFX and Clutter Effects Layers. They (N3V) do not recommend using both the old water ground brush tool and the new Water Effect Layer in the same layout. Could that be the issue?
    Development: Trainz Plus - b117699, Win 10, 16GB, RTX 3060Ti
    Testing: Trainz Plus beta - b117669, Win 11, 16GB, RTX 3050Ti

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    I haven't used it yet but Trainz+/TRS22 and (I believe) TRS19 SP4 onwards, has a new Water Effects Layer to add to the TurfFX and Clutter Effects Layers. They (N3V) do not recommend using both the old water ground brush tool and the new Water Effect Layer in the same layout. Could that be the issue?
    I've seen this since TRS19 with the "regular" water. I sometimes get dark blocks and areas of water and the only way to fix it is to readjust the height then everything "snaps" into place and the lighter patches disappear. When raising the water, I've created lumps unexpectedly where one square would rise up and the rest of the water around it remained at the original height. It's one of those things that I've forgotten to mention or report because it's one of those things that occur only when placing or adjusting water then I forget about it afterwards when I go on to something else.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

Blog Entries

I believe that the Water Effect layer was introduced early (before SP4???) in TRS19 but not advertised. It is possible that what you saw may have been a result of both types of water being present??? Just a guess.
    Development: Trainz Plus - b117699, Win 10, 16GB, RTX 3060Ti
    Testing: Trainz Plus beta - b117669, Win 11, 16GB, RTX 3050Ti

Hi All
    This may be due to the different height of the water. The further the water is from the terrain, the darker the effect will be between the water surface and the terrain.

If you are mixing classic water, and water effect layers, then there will definitely be a difference in look as the water effect layers are generated in a different way to classic water. Classic water uses the 'water colour' box in the environment settings to set the colour, whilst water effect layers use the top skybox colour to set the water colour (or more, the water reflects the top sky colour).

Regards

ZecRail Freelance D1s, Victorian Railways Type 4 DD and Type 4 D1s, and more also available.

Zecrail freeware DLS Content
    All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by S301 View Post
    Hi All
    This may be due to the different height of the water. The further the water is from the terrain, the darker the effect will be between the water surface and the terrain.

If you are mixing classic water, and water effect layers, then there will definitely be a difference in look as the water effect layers are generated in a different way to classic water. Classic water uses the 'water colour' box in the environment settings to set the colour, whilst water effect layers use the top skybox colour to set the water colour (or more, the water reflects the top sky colour).

Regards

So, to correct this I should replace all the water? Should I use surveyor classic or 2.0?

Dave

Maybe re-read JCitron's post #4? It doesn't sound like you should have to replace it all.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix