Recovering a Session With An UNKNOWN Asset

boleyd

I made a stupid mistake and deleted a (not a route session) session. I had a CDP. Loaded it via Content Manager. Went OK. However, the Session never appeared in the route. I suspect a single "Unknown) assets in the session. It MAY BE causing the Session to not load. Since N3V prohibits the deletion of an Unknown item from the Download Station. I am stuck.

withdrawn... Posted an answer but re-considered as I don't know what a "(not a route session) session" is..... A saved game perhaps?

Last edited:
At the time I wrote this, it was how I always kept those instructions sessions apart from what might be called a Rules Session . I just failed to recall Default Session. That is probably the more universal title of a session exclusively created to collect and retain inventories of some components used in a route. Of course you can put instructions in a route folder and forego the flexibility of sessions.

Rather than belabor the point I will just rewrite the session. It was small.
Maybe I'll come up with a better approach. Portals are working, so time to
see what I can really do with them.:)

At the time I wrote this, it was how I always kept those instructions sessions apart from what might be called a Rules Session . I just failed to recall Default Session. That is probably the more universal title of a session exclusively created to collect and retain inventories of some components used in a route. Of course you can put instructions in a route folder and forego the flexibility of sessions.

A Default Session is created whenever you load a Route without also loading a Session, or create a new Route without creating a Session, and then save by selecting the option "Save new route and session". If you have just loaded and edited the Route then always select the option "Do not save session". No Default Session will be created.

Some Route assets (e.g. industries) do store data (e.g. commodities) in the Session and if you have edited this data without loading a Session and want to keep the data then you must save a Session. In this case choose the option "Create new session" when saving and give the Session a name other than Default.

Your last sentence "Of course you can put instructions in a route folder and forego the flexibility of sessions" makes no sense to me at all. By "route folder" I assume that you mean "Route layer". Layers, Route layers and Session layers, only store assets such as splines, buildings, trees, roads, etc. "Instructions" would be Session Rules, driver names, driver commands, time, weather conditions, commodiities, etc and are all stored as Data in a Session but not in a layer.

All of this is covered in the Trainz Wiki Page at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Route_and_Session_Basics

Thanks, I definitely will look at that Wiki reference. The assignment of data groups to different depositories (folders & layers) really has to be understood so the actual user interface can be understood.

The assignment of data groups to different depositories (folders & layers) really has to be understood so the actual user interface can be understood.

You are correct. It is not like saving a Word document where everything is in the one file.

Because a single Route can have many different Session built for it, each has to be saved as a separate file.

For example: One Session may simulate night time operations on the Route so the time of day has to be set for after sunset. Another may simulate a weekend excursion run by an historic steam loco so it would have historic rolling stock (carriages and locos) plus lots of spectators at various places along the track. Those spectators would look out of place in a Session that depicted normal week day operations. And so on.

Back