Easy fix for floating objects on layout.

RW912

Trans Europ Express
People have complained that after installing a layout some objects are high up in the air instead of positioned at the ground level. I solve this issue as follows:

use the copy/paste tool to select an area on the layout, copy the selection ( doesn't have to be exactly under the floating objects ), after copying the area go under the objects you want to lower and paste the copied selection, don't worry about what happens with the landscape yet. Once the new selection is in place ( the objects should be back on ground level now ) press CTRL+Z (undo) on your keyboard and voilá, the objects are at the correct altitude and the landscape is back as it was before the 'paste'.
If you have more areas with the same problem on your layout, you don't have to select a new area to copy every time, just paste the one you have copied as written above and press CTRL+Z again.

I have tested his in TRS19 last 3 builds, and T:ANE )

Have fun! :cool:

Ron

Nice workaround trick Ron
what buttons you have activated for the copy/paste , just textures?
or doesn't it matter?

Doesn't matter, G.M. (when pasting). But I select the type of asset I want to lower, most of the time they are tracks/splines, buildings and/or trees. I select the one(s) that are needed, I never select the height button and I haven't tested it either.
But as always when doing something 'naughty', clone the layout first and try it on the clone first, but I am pretty sure you are aware of that :)

Ron

The fact that this is happening and a fix like this works suggests that Trainz isn't updating and verifying its map data automatically and completely. I've seen similar things where it fails to render some splines completely, make seasonal textures appear, display driver meshes attached to traffic vehicles. Forced re-drawing of the map sometimes fixes these glitches but not always.

I'm not a programmer or an insider, so it's just a theory, but the game seems very lazy and unaware of itself at times.

Last edited:
My solution is to raise and lower the terrain.

I get the terrain height, then apply the terrain height. The objects will then drop to the surface. If the height is incorrect, using undo fixes that without lifting the objects up into space again.

I reported this early on in the beta testing in both TANE and TRS19, but N3V can't find the cause of this. The good news is at least we have a workaround as painful as it is.

I'm not a programmer or an insider, so it's just a theory, but the game seems very lazy at times.

Same here, I am a humble bus driver and I think software is somewhat more annoying than women are, mainly because I dont understand them both :hehe:
But what you say here sounds ( or reads) very logical....perhaps N3V could inject some Red Bull in the code? :eek:

Ron

I know that this is an old thread, but the faster way to do this is in surveyor classic.

Place down an object 'such as any building' in the floating object effective area and press CRTL+Z to undo! The objects will start placing themselves back to where they should be. ;)

Tested in TRS22 PE!

Back