When To Save Route/Session?

boleyd

Assume you add a switch while at the Route/Level. Then you do a Save. You are asked if you want to save the Session. I assume this is the infamous Default Session. The question is: if you elect to NOT Save the session will your added switch not be placed?

Another way to look at the message is that Trainz is "suggesting" that you Save. Otherwise, there may be a problem with the process.

Save the Route only in this circumstance. Any Session you open based on this Route afterwards will feature your added switch.
Save Sessions when you make adjustments to the variable components of your Driver Sessions (Consists, driver schedules, switch settings, industry commodity levels/ settings, Environment settings, etc.)

So in TRS19, I opened an existing test route by clicking on edit one of its existing sessions. Once in, I switched to the route layer and added a new section of track. When I clicked on Save, I got this set of choices:
TRS19 save.JPG
By default, it is set to overwrite the existing route and overwrite the existing session. In the vast majority of cases that is what I want to do.
If I was fooling around in the session but don't want any of that saved, only the route itself, I would opt for "Do not save session."
If I was preparing a new session and wanted to keep the existing session for future work, I would "Create a new session."
If I wanted to create a new route based on the existing route, I would "Save new route and session."

The only time I save (overwrite) the Session is when I:-

• have altered or added an asset in a Session layer and want to save that change - this applies to using
    • the UDS feature of TRS19 Platinum/Trainz Plus and
    • the standard Surveyor exit back to the main menu which is common to all versions of Trainz
  • am using the UDS and want to save any moving consists in their new positions

The offer to overwrite the Session when saving a change to the Route will occur whenever you make an edit that will affect the Session. Many scenery assets actually have their properties stored in the Session, even when the assets themselves are in a Route layer. Editing the properties of these assets is considered to be a change to the Session. These include:-

• junction switches - the left/right switch direction is stored in the Session (but the default direction is stored in the Route)
  • industries - the commodities and quantities loaded/unloaded are stored in the Session
  • industry enabled wagons - the commodities and quantities carried are stored in the Session
  • consist locations - this is stored in the Session (TRS19 Platinum Edition and Trainz Plus only)
  • named route objects - while the name is stored in the Route, adding or changing the name is treated as a change to the Session

Of the above, changes to the direction (Left/Right) of junction switches and the names of scenery objects can be ignored so you can safely save the Route and NOT save the Session. As a general rule I do not edit industry settings or wagon loads when I am simply editing a Route and not the Session.

In TRS19/Trainz Plus I do not save the Session while consists have been moving unless I want to start a new Session or overwrite the original Session so it starts with the consists in their new positions. If I am simply running consists to find and fix scenery errors along the track then I do not save the Session.

Last edited:
Ok, I assumed the above items but wanted verification. Guess that the person who made dual use of the word Session is now on the dole.

Thanks to all....

Back