Route map track colours

Orpheus2000

In map view the track colour is dark blue against a dark background, which I find makes it difficult to see clearly. sometimes I print a map and, of course, the same problem applies (as well as using buckets of ink!).

It would be useful if the track colour could be changed: if the Track Priority marker, for instance, could be extended to include, say, yellow for priority option 4, especially if it were possible to set such colour as a custom default.

I don't use track priorities, so I have started to set all track to priority 1, a bit of a chore on a large layout, but it looks as though it will help in the long run.

Go on, then, tell me there's a much easier way!
icon6.png

The track colours used in the map view are actually indicating the priority level of the track. Blue = priority 2, white = priority 1, light blue or cyan = priority 3. Allowing users to change the map view track colours would destroy, what I find at least, its usefulness.

As for printing the maps, something that I agree would be useful, I think a better option would be to add a separate facility into the program that would provide more options. This has been on the user requested list for some time.

When I want to print a map, I usually use the Windows Snip Tool, capture the screen image, and save it as a JPG. Then I take it into something like Gimp or paint.NET and use the "flood Fill" function on all the gray, non-track color that exists by changing it to stark white.

When you save and print, then you don't use a ton of any color just to print the non-track area. It also makes your tracks stand out clearly (except for the white pri 1, which I alter to an off-white cream-color before printing.

Every Windows version for quite a while has had the snipping tool. Use the magnifying glass icon and type "snip." It will appear as "Snipping Tool."

Bill

When I want to print a map, I usually use the Windows Snip Tool, capture the screen image, and save it as a JPG. Then I take it into something like Gimp or paint.NET and use the "flood Fill" function on all the gray, non-track color that exists by changing it to stark white.

When you save and print, then you don't use a ton of any color just to print the non-track area. It also makes your tracks stand out clearly (except for the white pri 1, which I alter to an off-white cream-color before printing.

Every Windows version for quite a while has had the snipping tool. Use the magnifying glass icon and type "snip." It will appear as "Snipping Tool."

Bill

Or press Windows - Shift - S in that order and it'll bring up a menu to select an area to screenshot. Just select that area and your screenshot is taken.

True, but the snipping tool stays open and can be used without the key combination each time. A good alternative, though you have to dump it from the clipboard each time. if you forget, it tends to make one cranky. ;-)

Bill

Yes, but I would only want an extra 'priority' attached to yellow, say, although I recognise this may not be easy programmatically.

Regarding printed maps, there used to be a third party track layout program associated with Trainz, but it died the death.

The 'snip and flood fill' idea is OK, but I've used it several times and found it messy and difficult. So far I am finding it easier, although a long job, to change all tracks to Priority 1. It's very effective and I've never found any other use for the priority function.

Could you use a replace color function and replace the dark blue track line with something else?

Could you use a replace color function and replace the dark blue track line with something else?

So far I've found that difficult because of the colour shades involved, i.e. the track blue isn't a precise, global, single RGB value so a single 'flood' action won't do it. At least I think I'm right on that. The 'priority 1' approach I'm using works very well, although it would be handy if there were an extra priority value (I would choose bright yellow as the colour) so that the original priority uses could be left intact for those who need them. Even better, make the track bright yellow instead of blue to start with.

Last edited:
So far I've found that difficult because of the colour shades involved, i.e. the track blue isn't a precise, global, single RGB value so a single 'flood' action won't do it. At least I think I'm right on that. The 'priority 1' approach I'm using works very well, although it would be handy if there were an extra priority value (I would choose bright yellow as the colour) so that the original priority uses could be left intact for those who need them. Even better, make the track bright yellow instead of blue to start with.

That's too bad. I wonder if this could be the result of the JPG compression and not necessarily the map. I need to experiment with that and see.

The flood-fill tools I have available also have a "Sensitivity" setting where you can enter 'from' and 'to' RGB values to cover small anomalies in color values. For instance, if you have "blue" you could set 0,0,250-255 as the target to flood.

Bill

Back