My Trees have vanished

exton32

I took a break from Trainz for a few weeks and upon returning to my route I've noticed something really, really bizzare.

With the exception of 9 baseboard sections (there might be more but I haven't checked all of the route), ALL of my trees have vanished. They're just not there. To fix a previous issue I have Trainz set up to replace assets it can't load (missing or faulty) with an orange wireframe box when in surveyor to be able to verify the asset I was having an issue had been uninstalled, so if they had become faulty somehow, I would be able to see, but there's not even the orange box there, almost as if it's been deleted. Content manager not only shows zero missing dependencies and zero faulty assets/dependencies, but they show all the different trees I've used as dependencies of my route. I've placed each one down and I recognise them and know I've used it.

My TurfFX layers are also all deleted (i.e. no longer listed in the list) too, but I don't know if that is related to this or not as I noticed this a while ago and decided it wasn't worth the effort re-adding them.

Some screenshots for comparison:
Méxeter Junction Before:
2020-11-03-001850.jpg

Méxeter Junction After:
2021-04-30-171311.jpg

These areas are also supposed to be all forest, and strangely enough it seems to only be loading trees on some sections and not others. The lines where the trees abruptly stop are the borders between sections of baseboard (the unpainted baseboard sections are just unpainted so aren't part of the issue, I just haven't finished those parts yet):
2021-04-30-171405.jpg

2021-04-30-171633.jpg

I have numerous different versions of this route as different route assets along with each having their own separate session assets, and ALL of them exhibit this issue. Strangely, other routes that are older iterations also have this issue, including ones that haven't been touched in the last year! Even stranger, none of the other routes I have installed have this issue.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is this just trees not rendering, or are they actually gone? I really don't want to have to go and check every inch of this already very large route and put all the trees and forests back. If this is just a graphical issue, how do I fix it? It's the exact same in both driver and surveyor.

This is the list of all the different trees in use on my route as per the dependencies list. I've confirmed all of these existed in my route prior to this issue.
Screenshot-2021-04-30-173815-PNG.jpg

hi exton,
Obvious questions:
-Are all your layers on and visible?
-Did you save it in a higher version (fi 4.8) then opened it in 4.7 or 4.6?
then all layer info is lost incl. turfx
-did you also try the route in the version you actually made it in?
-all kuids show as made by Auran here and built-in (in my Euro version 100240)
what version you use?

hope you solve it
greetings GM

Last edited:
Check that your SpeedTree Library isn't open for edit or showing as locally modified, if either revert to original. <kuid:401543:1077> SpeedTree Library

Thanks for the responses.

I checked the SpeedTree library, it's the original one that came with the game (indicated as "Base"), it wasn't open for edit either. I think all of the trees in use are built-in too.

I'm using Trainz 2019, Build 100240, at the moment. I had upgraded to SP2, but reinstalled and I'm choosing to stay a build or two behind until an issue with splines taking forever to render is resolved as it made building an area that required precision very difficult. I've not worked on the route in T:ANE or any other earlier game, just pre-TRS2019 SP2. I started this route in TRS2019 too.

I have multiple versions of the same layout, I made backup copies during particularly risky things that could've caused a corrupted route. I have opened and worked on the the newest copy route in SP2, but the older versions that I've not touched also have both issues with TurfFX and the Trees missing.

I've verified all my layers are visible, although I routinely forget to switch from route to session layers when loading surveyor up so everything should be on the initial route layer.

I'd be very suspicious of having unfortunately gone to SP2, then back to the original version, pre SP1 (SP1 is fine IMHO), given all these versions aren't backwards compatible (another sad story). But this couldn't affect previous saves assuming you have them in CDPs. Something else is going on that's affecting the trees and TuftFX. Can you confirmed you've opened a CDP save and lost trees there?

If you've updated, ensure you have updated all your packages and DLC. This fixes a multitude of things such as this.

Also, have you run a database repair?

At the Launcher, click on Developer on the menu bar. Choose Repair database.

The process will take a few minutes.

If that doesn't do it, try an Extended Database Repair (EDR).

Press the CTRL key while choosing Repair database. This can take much, much longer and will do a deeper check.

One more thing, never attempt to open up a route saved in a new version in an older version. There are internal changes done to the files and this can result in data loss.

So my most recent CDP backup is from September 2020, I'd originally just checked backup copies that were still installed in the game.

I exported the installed version of the route to a CDP so I can get my progress back, deleted it from CMP and reinstalled the CDP from Sept. I also ran an extended database repair after doing so, and both TurfFX and the Trees are still missing.

I'd initially suspected the TurfFX issue to be down to a route merge I did a bit ago, although the CDP backup pre-dates that merge by a few months so that's that theory out of the window. I'm also pretty certain I've driven the route between the TurfFX disappearing and noticing the Trees are missing, and all the trees were actually there.

Additionally, I took a look at the mini map as I know there's an option to have it mark terrain objects on the map so I took a look.
Screenshot-2021-05-01-150210.jpg

Apologies for the green-on-green, but you can see that the trees just aren't there in the top right baseboard piece, whereas in the other three the trees show up both on the map in game. Weirdly, there is actually one that's just inside the tile that is bare. I don't know if that's relevant or not.

I've checked my screenshots, and the last confirmed time the trees and TurfFX were there was 21 ‎December ‎2020, ‏‎22:34:16 UTC (according to the timestamp on the image). That's around the time SP2 came out, although I'm damn certain I didn't have any issues immediately after reverting back to the original release of the game from SP1. I did update then immediately revert a second time but I didn't save the game during that time, and I also just made a copy of the game's install to save digging out the installer from my very cluttered downloads folder. Maybe that's what caused it.

I've noticed SP3 has come out, so I might shot in the dark try it to see if that manages to solve anything. I've had less likely solutions work before for other things. I know the dighole issue got fixed in SP2, so if SP3 fixes that issue with the splines I'll move forward.

As much as I hate to restart considering how much progress got made on this version of the route, v9 is waiting for me, with an improved station design for Exton (the main city in this route). I've found areas that I wish to work on, I have better assets to use, and have a better idea on how to implement things I've wanted to. I could just abandon v8 and start anew.

What you have done is build your route in Tane or TRS19 original (before SP1)
then updated to SP1 then SP2 and saved your route in SP2 format (4.7)
now you try it in 100240, then all layer info is lost incl. turfx

What you can do is rename the current route (routenameSP2)
then find a backup from before SP2 and try it in 100240
You will find all trees are there and turfx if you had it are back.
Had same here and lost a few months work on my mainroute, because the spline issues in SP2

After SP3 gets its fix, you can do all your updates in 1 go
greetings GM

Sounds to me like you loaded a save from pre SP1 into the pre SP1 version and the trees are still missing? I don't see how that's possible, unless your install of pre SP1 is itself corrupted. Is this game a separate install to SP2?

Back