Restoring Automatic Backups

ajho

Trainz claims to keep 7 days worth of backups (configurable), and takes up a lot of disk space doing so. The current version of my route crashes Trainz to the desktop whenever I try to load it, so I need to go back a day.

I've tried following the instructions in the Wiki at
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Manage_Backups
and in the knowledge base at
https://support.trainzportal.com/in...or-restoring-a-backup-version-of-your-content
but Content Manager just produces a string of error messages, and refuses to do anything useful.

Yes, I know I should have made regular manual backups, but what is the point of an automatic backup if you can't restore it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Hi Ant,
yes, it's a bit clumsy atm.

What could have been...
in Content manager you can right click, select restore, then get a menu with versions
including date and time, so you can select exact which you want back. boom done...

Currently:
-in CM backup to .cdp the route/item you assume is broken, name it itemname_broken.cdp
-delete it in content manager
-go to your backup dir .../local/backups/21-04-05
-find the item to restore (this can be an entire directory or a kuid xxxxx yyyyy name.tzarc blabladietc)
-copy that to your .../local/editing/ directory
-then do a dbase repair

and hopefully you got it back
greetings GM

I use TZarchiver.

TZarchiver v1.2 - Trainz Romania (tapatalk.com)

Unzip the application to any folder. I have one called Trainz Utilities.

Run the program...

Drag in your tzarc file you want to extract.

On the right will be the contents so you can see what you're getting.

Click on Extract Tzarc.

A folder will be created where the program is run from that is the asset. The folder looks like this kuid2 124863 200100 1.

Drag that folder into Content Manager and your asset is restored.

This is a lot faster and easier than the other. Why couldn't N3V build something like this into Content Manager? Ahem!

Many, many thanks John.

TZarchiver did the business and I am now up and running again. It slightly confused me by creating the new folder in the folder with the tzarcfile in it not the installation folder, but once I'd figured that out, bingo!

Only N3V would build a backup system you can't restore from without outside help.

Thanks once again.

Back