Is Trainz 2019 no longer compatible with Mac on the Big Sur OS?

Brendan1005

Asked this question on the in-game forum and it was suggested I post it here... (also posted in the Mac forum)

So ever since installing the new Mac OS Big Sur onto my MacBook Pro, there has been a huge problem with the game being able to render graphics. Everything that is part of a menu screen or HUD renders fine with no abnormalities, but the game graphics themself (Trains, scenery, etc.) all appear very blurry with lines sort of on like those on a diagonal grid slicing through the entire screen. On top of that, when you move or reposition the camera the screen blurs even more and you get a weird double vision affect where images won't move or disappear, and looks almost as if you were drunk and staring at the screen. I've tried to fix this issue a few times by uninstalling and reinstalling the game, but to no avail. I didn't want to mess with the settings too much and mess it up even further so for the most part I've left them alone, however I've set all the graphics capabilities to the lowest possible setting. I've begun to suspect that the problem may lay in the fact that Trainz 2019 just isn't compatible with Big Sur yet, as I found it odd that the issue surfaced immediately after upgrading the system software in my Mac from Catalina to Big Sur. I installed the OS back in late November 2020, and the issue is still ongoing. It's now the first of February 2021 and to say the least I'm disappointed that a fix hasn't surfaced (at least to my knowledge) as its been months since Big Sur released. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with this issue, and even more so someone can chime in with a quick fix to the problem. Below are some screenshots of the problem. Thanks!

Here are the screenshots of the problem in Dropbox, as I can't directly post them here.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Trainz%202019%20Big%20Sur

Hi Brendan1005
There is a known issue with Mac computers that use the integrated Intel graphics with BigSur, which cause poor visuals in Trainz. Our team are looking into this further, however unfortunately as this is caused by the graphics driver for this hardware in the BigSur update it is likely it will require an update from Apple to resolve this driver issue.

Regards

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's fixed soon as the latest patch, Big Sur 11.2, did not seem to fix it.

Last edited:
It's not a laptop.

macOS Big Sur V 11.2
Processor: 3.6Ghz Quad-Core Intel i3
Memory: 8GB 2400 Mhz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 555X 2GB

Last edited:
It's not a laptop.

macOS Big Sur V 11.2
Processor: 3.6Ghz Quad-Core Intel i3
Memory: 8GB 2400 Mhz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 555X 2GB

yep its the integrated graphics that's the issue "There is a known issue with Mac computers that use the integrated Intel graphics with BigSur,"

Mac users with PLUS might want to get in on beta testing if not already. From todays email newsletter.

For our Mac fans, the Trainz Plus Beta introduces our new Metal and Silicon support. We expect that many of you will see significant performance improvements (depending on hardware) so we'd love to get as many Mac/Trainz Plus members as possible to check out this beta update and send in your feedback.
Note that if you have a M1 device, Trainz will run in native rather than emulation mode.

I'm looking forward to the Metal and ASi support. That said, I'm having no problems with Trainz2019 on my 2014 Mac mini or my ASi Mac mini.

I've just got back into Trainz as my last purchased version was in 2006. I have now downloaded TSR19 on my iMac. It is a Late 2015 21.5" Retina 4K, Intel Core I5 Quad Core 3.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1867Mhz Ram with the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536MB running Big Sur 11.2. The build of TSR19 is 110495. I have it running pretty good on the machine. Mind you I have had to turn down all of graphics settings to the minimums, but it is running with almost no frame stuttering. Is it ideal, no, i'd rather have all features running at full speed, but i'm happy to have it working.

Back