Saving changes on Route level from Session level

Leo1704

Dear all,

I find that when I make changes on a session I am working on - adding a signal, or trackwork etc - and save it, why does it not save it automatically on route level also. (I am not referring to train orders, or numbers of trains etc, but to basic changes to the route itself). I have tried using "save new route and session" etc, and renaming the route, but the change only appears on the session level and not the route level.

Must I always make changes I want only to the route level and not the session level? Or is their some assistance here that can help. Often it is easier to make changes while simply working on quick drive and going back and forth on the session level without having to exit session entirely and go to route level.

Any assistance appreciated.

Leo.

If the signal you are saving is in the Session Layer, then no change to the Route, so no save to the Route. You can make changes to both the route and the session layers if you wish.

The system of automatically saving changes to the route layer was for the most part replaced by the Layer systems in TS10. Now the only changes that are automatically saved to the "route layer" are things like ground textures and terrain modifications. Under the new system almost anything can be placed on either a route layer or a session layer. You have to manually choose which layer is active. This has some amazing possibilities though they are seldom used. For example, you can create a base layout of track that has towns that can be changed by sessions to represent different periods of time by showing and or hiding different layers containing new buildings, trees and even track arrangements.

Here is a N3V tutorial that explains layers very nicely.

https://youtu.be/KoXvafsMC3k

William

When you open a route or session for edit and select the layer tab, you have two sections. The top section holds all the layers that get saved to the route file while the bottom section holds layers that get saved in the routes session file. Edit route will only load the layers in the route file while the edit session will load the route files plus the session files. All assets will be placed in the layer you have selected at that time. You can change the layer in the asset properties window. Only the ground texture is automatically placed in the route.

Back