Trainz Engine Rendering and AMD GPU

Lagermeister

My realtionship with Trainz has been uneasy in the last years. As TANE was published i underestimated the hardware requirements and was with an integrated graphic chip on the wrong side. Last year i bought a new system with an AMD RX 590 (+2600 Ryzen + 32 GB).

Now T19 did not like it. One problem were AMD drivers and me was also told that T19 is optimized for NVIDIA graphic cards which are the standard for gaming. I have not a problem when the games run a little bit worser than with a NVIDIA graphic card. I have to accept this design descision but an other descision is a little bit more quesionable.

Today i started Trainz and it tried to download new files (routes). The screen shows in the background a steam engine in front of ayard. The scene is almost static. Only steam particles are active. Downloading and installing the files requires only 7 - 10% of the CPU power. But the GPU runs up to 100%, temp = 82 ° C and the fans go crazy (fps around 20 according to the Trainz profiler). As i am interested in game engines and my C++ knowledge leaves now beginner level i have seen the same behaviour in CryEngine. There it was called a "feature" because much load is shifted from the CPU to the GPU. There you had the same behaviour when you created a empty level (but the fps were around 500 - 800). You can adjust this in CE for the main viewport but not fo all tool windows. In contrast Unreal Engine which has a really heavy editor delivers a constant fps = 120 at the start (without ray tracing and other very advanced features) and is much better optimized.

So it would be nice if T19 could tackle this issue.

Back