Joining procedural turnouts point to point produces abbreviated ballast contour

horacefithers

I updated (route-wide) a family of JR track with TRS SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, GB, TP with Spikes, Shiny <kuid:439337:103196> procedural track using the bulk asset replace tool. This time I replaced across the entire route. So far I've found no track kinks.

However I noticed that when turnouts are connected by a short piece of track between the points the ballast contour gets "truncated".

I was able to replicated this:
  1. I made a segment of straight track
  2. I made a turnout on the right.
  3. I made a turnout on the left with about 10m of track between the points

The track between the points shows the truncated ballast profile. See the screen capture below.

Points2PointsBadBallast.jpg

Moving the points further apart or dividing the intervening track with the F4/I mode both caused the ballast contour to go back to normal.

Anyone know why?

H.Fithers

Not sure what causes it, maybe something to do with the LOD set up.

I see the same thing, as shown below. I also get unwanted shadows, even though the track is flat on the ground at 0.0m. In addition, as I draw the camera back, the outer segments of straight track disappear, but central segment (and the curved segments of the turn-outs) remain visible. Something's not right.

NM3MGtL.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All
Appears that there may be something odd going on with the parallax height map when it's stretched too much.

Due to the length of the ballast mesh, the ballast is being stretched along the track till it reaches a point where it can add a new repeat.

Do any other PBR/heightmapped tracks show this issue (ie tracks that show the '3d' looking ballast, etc) for you?

Regards
Zec

Zec any progress on this problem?

I was testing out a new turnout tool that was uploaded recently to the DLS on a set of turnouts I made that are dimensionally very accurate for frog angle and within a couple of feet for lead length (switch points to point of frog). When I swapped in this track it looks pretty bad in many locations. My original spline track with a mesh length of 12 feet (3.658m) looks good considering it was made for TRS04 MR track and updated with some config changes to current track spline. I also tried N3V built-in <kuid2:661281:44223:1> TRS19 Trk Jarrah 5 - Procedural - Seasonal (I think this is PBR materials) and it looks very good with a few minor texture comments that I won't go into now but is obvious when looking at the location where the procedural turnout stops using the 1 cross tie under both legs and goes back to 2 single ties.

The <kuid:439337:103196> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny track appears to have a number of problems:
1) Ballast thins out to varying degrees within the procedural turnout. In some cases the baseboard grid shows thru it.
2) Chair spline is either missing or not showing on the rightside rail within the procedural turnout. Beyond the turnout the chair spline is showing.
3) There are visual anomalies at regular intervals when viewed from low angles in the ballast spline and on the end caps.
4) Tie widths (along y axis of the spline) vary considerably in and outside the turnout samples I made - looks like very bad spline stretching or compression in some cases. The Jarrah 5 track doesn't display anything like this nor does my old spline track in the exact same geometry.
5) The frog and guard rails has some problem with visual appearance - maybe the way the top of the rail head is shaped and the texturing used - just looks odd IMO.
6) Moire pattern on this track when looking down the track line is pretty bad - I don't know if it's the light ballast and dark ties or the fact the ballast height seems to change with different sight angles so more or less of the ties are exposed.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
I am the creator of that track and stumbled across this forum post just out of curiosity, not knowing it was all about my track. BTW you would have got a much faster response if you had posted this in my own dedicated content support thread, which I habitually monitor. This is at:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?83363-Content-by-MSGSapper

Creating that U.S. PBR track was one of the hardest Trainz projects I ever undertook and used up two very intensive months of my time. I didn't get a lot of help with it from anyone so had to learn by trial and error what would work and what would not. The specifications, and some of the basic meshes for that track, came from here:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Build_Procedural_Track_for_T:ANE

The goals here were:

1. To make a PBR based track that actually looked like U.S, which most of the TRS19 built-in track does not. It is important to note that there was no prototypical U.S. based track either built-in or downloadable from the DLS prior to my making one.

2. To have PBR based track which had a more prototypical ballast bed then that in the TRS19 built-in tracks.

Overall the project turned out fairly well and in my replacement of my old T:ANE procedural track on five of my existing routes when I upgraded them to TRS19 standards I noted few problems and the adjustments necessary were not much more then what I encountered when I replaced old track with the T:ANE procedural tracks that I made when I upgraded my TRS2012 routes to T:ANE. The main problem came sometimes when junctions were too close together. At little re-design of the track usually solved the problem. BTW I am very much aware that this track is less then perfect, but it is the best I can do at present with my limited experience with this type track and there seems to be few offers from anyone else to help make it better.

The Moire effect is the one area I have been unable to fix and no one else seems to know how to do it either and still keep the track prototypical. BTW every built-in TRS19 PBR track I have tried has that effect to some degree. It is more pronounced in my track simply because my ballast bed is higher. If you look at the TRS19 built-on PBR tracks you will notice all of them have extremely un-prototypical ballast beds that are often so low as to be almost non-existent. See this screenshot:

Moire-Effect.jpg

Here is a screenshot showing a comparison of my track versus two of the TRS19 built-in tracks:

PBR-Track-comparison.jpg

Notice how low the ballast beds are for the two built-in tracks and as a result how the 3D PBR ground texture pops up through the ballast in a number of spots. It doesn't do that in mine. BTW the edges are meant to blend into the ground texture and be irregular.

The hardest part of my track project was trying to maintain height compatibility with older non-PBR track. Jarrah apparently compensated for this in his built-in tracks by making the ballast bed very low. PBR raises the height of the ballast bed and ties in the track so there is an extremely fine line between what you can do and still keep the overall height compatible with older track. It took a lot of trade offs and juggling to finally arrive at something that would look good, be fairly prototypical and still be height compatible with older track. It might have been far simpler to establish a new height standard but I felt that many users would not agree with that and would want backward height compatibility with older track.

The bottom line here: I am sorry, but this project is so huge, and my experience so limited with TRS19 PBR procedural track, that unless someone can point to exactly where the problem is in the config.txt file or in the meshes, and how exactly it can be fixed, I am not willing to revisit this project at this time as I super busy with other Trainz projects. BTW I provided all my Blender project files with the content files for this track. These are with the <kuid:439337:103187> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG Mesh Library on the DLS for anyone who wishes to make their own versions of TRS19 track or to look at how it was all done. So far no one has......

Please check out these old forum posts on the subject for a lot more information on this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...9-U-S-Standard-Gauge-Procedural-Track-Project

and

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?153494-TRS19-PBR-Parallax-Issue-The-Moire-Effect

and

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...rd-gauge-procedural-tracks-available-in-TRS19

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, Since Zec jumped in I was hoping N3V was going to investigate this as they know more about it than any of us. Procedural track with PBR materials is new territory in Trainz. Based on some closer inspection of several different tracks in TRS19 I'm becoming more convinced that N3V might have some problems with their implementation of procedural track when it forms turnouts. Am I the only one seeing problems with the chair splines in TRS19? I haven't installed SP1 and won't until the hot fix comes out.

In your track the chair spline is missing (visually at least) on one rail (right side) thru out the turnout from the points of switch blade to the location where the single tie spanning under both legs is replaced with 2 separate ties.

However on all the tracks I looked at in TRS19 - yours, NSWGR and N3V's built-in - track I see the chair spline running thru the switch blades on both rails. On yours it's just the left side where the chairs are displayed. The chairs running thru the switch blade looks like N3V's problem to me.[EDIT: not realistic but same behavior as TANE see edit below] So I'll try again:

@Zec Any progress on this problem?

[EDIT] Zec seems this is not as simple as I thought. I checked TANE SP 1&3 and saw the same behavior. The chairs display below both switch blades and the blades move thru them as the turnout is switched. So while it is not realistic it is the same behavior as TANE. The missing chairs on the right side in Bob's track is not however.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Bob, Since Zec jumped in I was hoping N3V was going to investigate this as they know more about it than any of us. Procedural track with PBR materials is new territory in Trainz. Based on some closer inspection of several different tracks in TRS19 I'm becoming more convinced that N3V might have some problems with their implementation of procedural track when it forms turnouts. Am I the only one seeing problems with the chair splines in TRS19? I haven't installed SP1 and won't until the hot fix comes out.

In your track the chair spline is missing (visually at least) on one rail (right side) thru out the turnout from the points of switch blade to the location where the single tie spanning under both legs is replaced with 2 separate ties.

However on all the tracks I looked at in TRS19 - yours, NSWGR and N3V's built-in - track I see the chair spline running thru the switch blades on both rails. On yours it's just the left side where the chairs are displayed. The chairs running thru the switch blade looks like N3V's problem to me.[EDIT: not realistic but same behavior as TANE see edit below] So I'll try again:

@Zec Any progress on this problem?

[EDIT] Zec seems this is not as simple as I thought. I checked TANE SP 1&3 and saw the same behavior. The chairs display below both switch blades and the blades move thru them as the turnout is switched. So while it is not realistic it is the same behavior as TANE. The missing chairs on the right side in Bob's track is not however.

Bob Pearson

Bob

I am a little baffled by this unless its a config.txt parameters issue. I used the base parameter settings by N3V in that tutorial I listed earlier on procedural track design. It is not something that I have left out of the meshes.

Here are some screenshots. Chairs are missing from one side or the other depending on which way the turnout goes.

Left turnout:

PBR-Track-Junction-SS1.jpg

Right turnout:

PBR-Track-Junction-SS2.jpg

Here is the config.txt code for the <kuid:439337:103196> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny:

Code:
kind                                    "procedural-track"
username                                "TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny"
trainz-build                            4.6
category-class                          "TR"
category-region                         "US"
category-era                            "1930s;1940s;1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s"
istrack                                 1
description                             "TRS19 SAP Track U.S. Standard Gauge procedural-track asset.  Flat-bottomed shiny 132LB rail with tie plates secured by spikes into timber ties over gravel ballast. Ties are a prototypical 7 inches x 9 inches x 8.5 feet in size and spaced 19.5 inches center-to-center."
author                                  "MSGSapper"
contact-email                           "radalton12@cox.net"
license                                 "You may re-skin as desired and no permission from me is needed. My only restrictions are that any content item you produce with this must be uploaded to the Auran DLS only and must be freeware. Other than that have fun with this item!"
category-keyword                        "track;MSGSapper"
enable-pfx-collisions                   0
track-type                              "ballast"
track-gauge                             1.436
check-gauge                             1.395
sleepers-orientation                    "average"

mesh-table
{
  track-lod0
  {
    mesh-asset                          <kuid:439337:103187>
    mesh                                "tracklod0n.trainzmesh"
    mesh-season                         0
  }

track-lod0-snow
  {
    mesh                                "tracklod0ns.trainzmesh"
    mesh-season                         2
  }

track-lod1
  {
    mesh                                "tracklod1n.trainzmesh"
  }

track-lod1-snow
  {
    mesh                                "tracklod1ns.trainzmesh"
  }

track-lod2
  {
    mesh                                "tracklod2n.trainzmesh"
  }

track-lod2-snow
  {
    mesh                                "tracklod2ns.trainzmesh"
  }

endcap_prev
  {
    mesh                                "endcapalod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

endcap_prev-snow
  {
    mesh                                "endcapalod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

endcap_next
  {
    mesh                                "endcapblod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

endcap_next-snow
  {
    mesh                                "endcapblod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }
}

track
{
  mesh-length                           17.754601
  adjust-cross-section-to-ground        0

track-lod-tree
  {
    lod-distance                        500

high-detail
    {
      subdivisions                      2
      lod-distance                      350

high-detail
      {
        subdivisions                    2
        lod-season-index                2

high-detail
        {
          mesh                          "track-lod0-snow"
        }

low-detail
        {
          mesh                          "track-lod0"
        }
      }

low-detail
      {

high-detail
        {
          mesh                          "track-lod1-snow"
        }

low-detail
        {
          mesh                          "track-lod1"
        }
      }
    }

low-detail
    {
      lod-season-index                  2

high-detail
      {
        mesh                            "track-lod2-snow"
      }

low-detail
      {
        mesh                            "track-lod2"
      }
    }
  }
}

endcap-prev
{
  mesh-length                           1

track-lod-tree
  {
    lod-distance                        400

high-detail
    {

high-detail
      {
        mesh                            "endcap_prev-snow"
      }

low-detail
      {
        mesh                            "endcap_prev"
      }
    }

low-detail
    {
    }
  }
}

endcap-next
{
  mesh-length                           1

track-lod-tree
  {

high-detail
    {

high-detail
      {
        mesh                            "endcap_next-snow"
      }

low-detail
      {
        mesh                            "endcap_next"
      }
    }

low-detail
    {
    }
  }
}

thumbnails
{
  {
    width                               240
    height                              180
    image                               "thumbnail.jpg"
  }
}

attached-splines
{
  rail_left
  {
    lateral-offset                      -0.751
    use-same-direction                  1
    spline-kuid                         <kuid:439337:103192>
    visual-only                         1
  }

rail_right
  {
    lateral-offset                      0.751
    spline-kuid                         <kuid:439337:103193>
  }

sleepers
  {
    lateral-offset                      0
    spline-kuid                         <kuid:439337:103189>
  }

chairs_left
  {
    lateral-offset                      -0.751
    spline-kuid                         <kuid:439337:103190>
  }

chairs_right
  {
    lateral-offset                      0.751
    spline-kuid                         <kuid:439337:103191>
  }
}

season-selector
{
  above-snow-line                       1

branch-true
  {
    output-season                       2
  }

branch-false
  {
    output-season                       0
  }
}

kuid-table
{
  1                                     <kuid:439337:103187>
  2                                     <kuid:439337:103193>
  3                                     <kuid:439337:103192>
  4                                     <kuid:439337:103191>
  5                                     <kuid:439337:103190>
  6                                     <kuid:439337:103189>
}
kuid                                    <kuid:439337:103196>

Bob

Here is the code from the config.txt file for the <kuid:439337:103193> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rail-Shiny-Right. This is a rail spline used by the track. BTW the code is identical for the left side track:

Code:
username                                "TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rail-Shiny-Right"
istrack                                 0
category-era                            "1930s;1940s;1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s"
description                             "TRS19 SAP Track Attached-Spline Component"
license                                 "You may re-skin as desired and no permission from me is needed. My only restrictions are that any content item you produce with this must be uploaded to the Auran DLS only and must be freeware. Other than that have fun with this item!"
track-type                              "rail-right"
rail-width                              0.066
checkrail-body-length                   2.533
wingrail-body-length                    1.53
blade-smallest-width                    0.003
blade-taper-length                      1.982

mesh-table
{
  rail_right-lod0
  {
    mesh                                "railrightlod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

rail_right-lod0-snow
  {
    mesh                                "railrightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

rail_right-lod1
  {
    mesh                                "railrightlod1n.trainzmesh"
  }

rail_right-lod1-snow
  {
    mesh                                "railrightlod1ns.trainzmesh"
  }

rail_right-lod2
  {
    mesh                                "railrightlod2n.trainzmesh"
  }

rail_right-lod2-snow
  {
    mesh                                "railrightlod2ns.trainzmesh"
  }

wingrail
  {
    mesh                                "wingrailrightlod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

wingrail-2
  {
    mesh                                "wingrailrightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

checkrail
  {
    mesh                                "checkrailrightlod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

checkrail-2
  {
    mesh                                "checkrailrightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

blade
  {
    mesh                                "bladerightlod0n.trainzmesh"
    anim                                "bladerightlod0n_scene.kin"
    animation-loop-speed                0.25
  }

blade-2
  {
    mesh                                "bladerightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
    anim                                "bladerightlod0ns_scene.kin"
  }

blade_stretcher
  {
    mesh                                "stretcherlod0n.trainzmesh"
    anim                                "stretcherlod0n_scene.kin"
  }

blade_stretcher-2
  {
    mesh                                "stretcherlod0ns.trainzmesh"
    anim                                "stretcherlod0ns_scene.kin"
  }
}

track
{
  mesh-length                           2.9591

track-lod-tree
  {

high-detail
    {
      subdivisions                      2
      lod-distance                      100

high-detail
      {
        lod-distance                    10
        subdivisions                    2

high-detail
        {
          lod-season-index              2

high-detail
          {
            mesh                        "rail_right-lod0-snow"
          }

low-detail
          {
            mesh                        "rail_right-lod0"
          }
        }

low-detail
        {

high-detail
          {
            mesh                        "rail_right-lod1-snow"
          }

low-detail
          {
            mesh                        "rail_right-lod1"
          }
        }
      }

low-detail
      {

high-detail
        {
          mesh                          "rail_right-lod2-snow"
        }

low-detail
        {
          mesh                          "rail_right-lod2"
        }
      }
    }

low-detail
    {
    }
  }
}

season-selector
{

branch-true
  {
  }

branch-false
  {
  }
}

privileges
{
  permit-commit                         1
  permit-edit                           1
  permit-listing                        0
}

thumbnails
{
  {
  }
}

kuid-table
{
  0                                     <kuid:439337:103187>
}
kuid                                    <kuid:439337:103193>

Bob

Here is the config.txt code from which seems to control chair placement from <kuid:439337:103191> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes-Right. It is a component of the overall track. The left side is identical to the right:

Code:
username                                "TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes-Right"
description                             "TRS19 SAP Track Attached-Spline Component"
track-type                              "chairs-right"

mesh-table
{
  chairs-right-lod0
  {
    mesh                                "chairsrightlod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

chairs-right-lod0-snow
  {
    mesh                                "chairsrightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

chairs-right-lod1
  {
    mesh                                "chairsrightlod1n.trainzmesh"
  }

chairs-right-lod1-snow
  {
    mesh                                "chairsrightlod1ns.trainzmesh"
  }

chairs-right-lod2
  {
    mesh                                "chairsrightlod2n.trainzmesh"
  }

chairs-right-lod2-snow
  {
    mesh                                "chairsrightlod2ns.trainzmesh"
  }

chair_single
  {
    mesh                                "chairsinglerightlod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

chair_single-2
  {
    mesh                                "chairsinglerightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

blade_slidechair
  {
    mesh                                "slidechairrightlod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

blade_slidechair-2
  {
    mesh                                "slidechairrightlod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }
}

track
{
  padding-length                        0
  spacing-length-before                 0.13
  spacing-length-after                  0.13
  dont-scale-mesh-to-fit-length         0

track-lod-tree
  {
    lod-length                          2

high-detail
    {
      lod-distance                      200

high-detail
      {
        subdivisions                    4

high-detail
        {
          mesh                          "chair_single-2"
        }

low-detail
        {
          mesh                          "chair_single"
        }
      }

low-detail
      {
      }
    }

low-detail
    {
      lod-distance                      80

high-detail
      {
        subdivisions                    1
        lod-distance                    30

high-detail
        {
          lod-distance                  15
          subdivisions                  1

high-detail
          {
            lod-season-index            2

high-detail
            {
              mesh                      "chairs-right-lod0-snow"
            }

low-detail
            {
              mesh                      "chairs-right-lod0"
            }
          }

low-detail
          {
            lod-season-index            2

high-detail
            {
              mesh                      "chairs-right-lod1-snow"
            }

low-detail
            {
              mesh                      "chairs-right-lod1"
            }
          }
        }

low-detail
        {

high-detail
          {
            mesh                        "chairs-right-lod2-snow"
          }

low-detail
          {
            mesh                        "chairs-right-lod2"
          }
        }
      }

low-detail
      {
      }
    }
  }
}

season-selector
{

branch-true
  {
  }

branch-false
  {
  }
}

privileges
{
}

thumbnails
{
  {
  }
}

kuid-table
{
}
kuid                                    <kuid:439337:103191>

Here is the code from the <kuid:439337:103189> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Timber Ties which is a component of the overall track and control the ties:

BTW it takes five components to make the overall <kuid:439337:103196> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny. These are:

<kuid:439337:103193> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rail-Shiny-Right
<kuid:439337:103192> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rail-Shiny-Left
<kuid:439337:103191> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes-Right
<kuid:439337:103190> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes-Left
<kuid:439337:103189> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Timber Ties

Code:
username                                "TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Timber Ties"
track-type                              "sleepers"
sleeper-pitch                           0.4953

mesh-table
{
  sleepers-lod0
  {
    mesh                                "sleeperslod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

sleepers-lod0-snow
  {
    mesh                                "sleeperslod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }

sleeper_single
  {
    mesh                                "sleepersinglelod0n.trainzmesh"
  }

sleeper_single-2
  {
    mesh                                "sleepersinglelod0ns.trainzmesh"
  }
}

track
{
  padding-length                        0
  spacing-length-before                 0.13
  spacing-length-after                  0.13
  dont-scale-mesh-to-fit-length         0

track-lod-tree
  {
    lod-length                          2

high-detail
    {
      subdivisions                      4

high-detail
      {
        mesh                            "sleeper_single-2"
      }

low-detail
      {
        mesh                            "sleeper_single"
      }
    }

low-detail
    {
      lod-distance                      550

high-detail
      {

high-detail
        {
          mesh                          "sleepers-lod0-snow"
        }

low-detail
        {
          mesh                          "sleepers-lod0"
        }
      }

low-detail
      {
      }
    }
  }
}

thumbnails
{
  {
  }
}

season-selector
{

branch-true
  {
  }

branch-false
  {
  }
}

privileges
{
}

kuid-table
{
}
kuid                                    <kuid:439337:103189>

Last edited:
Hi All
The only thing I can think of with the chairs not appearing is that there is an issue with the 'chair_single' mesh for that rail.

If you lay the track in the opposite direction, and form the same junction (so that the 'opposite' rail is used through the v-crossing/frog), do the chairs disappear on the opposite rail?

For the moire effect, this is due to there being too much contrast between pixels in that area. Unfortunately, track is one of the most difficult assets to resolve moire on due to the contrast between faces on the sleepers and the ballast. The tricks I've found so far are to try to 'blend' the ends of the sleepers into the top (or just remove them entirely, so that you only have the top and the ballast visible in the distance). The other thing, especially when you remove all but the top of the sleeper, is to swap to a ballast texture that has the sleepers in it (which can then be used for all lower LODs); this helps to 'blend' the difference between the ballast and the sleeper.

But it's not always possible to get rid of it entirely unfortunately. This is one of those things that requires creators to find the compromise between detail, performance, looks, and accuracy.

For the ballast contour issue, this is basically a creator issue. The solution would be to provide a shorter length option in the track (using the track-lod-tree; the built-in 'TRS19' procedural tracks do this), so as to prevent the ballast from being stretched as much as it is. Parallax textures are quite sensitive to angle and stretching, there's really not much that can be done internally, so as creators issues such as this need to be worked with to get the right results.

Regards

Thanks, Zec. I tried a turnout to the left and to the right and then reversed the direction I layed the TRS19 SAP track. Missing chairs were always on the right hand side (facing the junction point and looking at the 2 diverging tracks).

If you lay the basic procedural spline out and look as it goes from a 1 tie to multiple ties you can see a lot of compression and stretching. I made lengths of 1 tie then 2 then 3 then 6 then 12 as the length was increased. Under 14 meters or so the track shows a lot of this and also variation in thickness and density of the ballast. So I expect it might have some visual problems anywhere you can get sections of track less than say 12 -14 m length between spline points.

I tried the same with N3V's procedural track (Jarrah wood ties) and also Elstoko's NSWGR procedural track and they didn't have the same problems as the length changed. N3V's had some minor compression and stretching but was much more uniform as the length increased. Elsotko's was the best in this respect and was very uniform in tie dimension and ballast as the length of the track section was increased. Not sure how he accomplishes that but it might be worth looking at any of his protrack NSWGR for TRS19 made with PBR materials. I was using <kuid2:368725:49046:1> Protrack NSWGR clean brown stone, mid-life timber, baseplated and <kuid2:368725:49029:1> Protrack NSWGR ashes, old timber, directly spiked.

Bob Pearson

H.Fithers:

My revised track series which resolves the issues you mentioned in this thread is now available for download on the DLS.

There are 14 total files, but the only ones you need to download are as follows:

<kuid2:439337:103407:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny, No Ballast
<kuid2:439337:103416:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty, No Ballast
<kuid2:439337:103409:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, Shiny, Track only
<kuid2:439337:103417:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, Rusty, Track only
<kuid2:439337:103414:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty
<kuid2:439337:103196:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny

The rest of the files are dependencies of the above and the Content Manager should download them automatically as part of the track.

Please let me know if everything works fairly well for you now once you try this track.

Bob

Well done Bob.

The revised version also solves the issues I had with unwanted shadows (see screenshot in post #2 of this thread) and parts of the track disappearing at distance.

Back