"Clean Up" the TRS19 User Data directory?

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
So I'm doing some spring... err... winter cleaning around my PC. Primarily, my 1 TB secondary drive where I store programs and docs and the like. This comes after multiple downloads failed in TRS19 CM due to insufficient disk space.

All in all, I was able to delete 124 GB of just... junk. Things like long 1080p videos that I had uploaded to YouTube long ago, folders chock-full of stuff for long-abandoned projects. A lot of progress made. But honestly, that's not enough when...

My TRS19 user data directory alone is a whopping 374 GB! Let's break that down...

Backups - 4.68 GB
Cache - 20.8 GB
Editing - 224 MB (I don't often let things stay open for edit if I'm not working on them at the very moment)
Local - 184 GB (I expected this, I have a lot of content)
Original - 78.2 GB
Packages - 85.1 GB
Screenshots - 0 B (I deleted all of my screenshots, since they're all uploaded somewhere, or in the cloud)
asset-cache.tdx - 189 MB
assets.tdx - 114 MB
content-store-task-list.tdx - 439 B
crashdump.dmp - 607 KB
keystore.tdx - 826 KB

Is there any good way to shed some gigs without affecting the game or my content? Or is it time for a bigger hard drive?

Matt

Thanks for posting this information, I too only have a 170Gigs left on my dedicated One Terabyte D Drive for the following reasons :

I have 520,000 Assets.....

I just got an update stream from NV3 for 105 (I don't remember the rest of Version �� something data update on my TRS2019.....My old one was 102 something.....

3Gigs was dowload

30Gigs was Routes and Payware updated Assets with this Data update for a whopping 33 Gigs of Download.....

I was shocked to see how big it was.....

NO errors and It did DBS full scan and repair mode. I'm am relieved �� everything works OK, at least for now.....

After looking at your figures I need to look at mine too...... I PLAN on focusing / following the comments on this thread to glean helpful information?

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

You can delete the backups. I keep them for awhile then go in and prune the older ones. If you want, you can limit the number to less than 7 which is 7 uses and not consecutive days, even though it's 7-days worth. Go to the Dev tab in settings on the launcher and set the to a smaller number 2-days works well.

The cache... Empty the Internet Cache there's no need to keep that because that's stuff downloaded from the DLS.

You can't delete the .tdx files! Those are your database files. :)

The editing folder...

I recommend going through that and reverting or submitting stuff. There is no need to have stuff open for edit unless there was a crash causing the files to remain open. I suggest sorting by date-modified in Content Manager and reverting or submitting the older assets. There maybe cases where you updated something, or installed a third-party asset from Jointed Rail which already exists. These have to be reverted. Having a lot of open for edit assets, by the way, can cause all kinds of issues when you do updates or install content because these can cause missing dependencies.

Crash Dump can be ditched.

Local, Original, and Packages folders are all your content. Local is stuff downloaded and worked on. Original is built-ins (I think), and Packages is DLC from N3V and some built-in assets. Deleting any of this will cause nasty things to happen!

374 GB is pretty small. Mine is about 1.5 TB or so. I've done some pruning off and on, but every time I do, I end up finding something missing and have to reinstall the assets again.

original -- downloaded from DLS using ContentManager, or cdo files from the DLS installed unmodified
local -- modified or content installed from other sources
packages -- installed DLC packages

Built-in content is located in the program directory (resources), and only added to the database, but not copied to the data folders (only cached ?).

Peter

Back