The Obedient Car

boleyd

A 2 car loaded coal train was tasked to go the unloader, unload, uncouple, drive to a trackmark, on an adjacent track. Then drive to a different trackmark and then couple to the back of the train. Return to the yard and await the next task. Run Around would not work for some reason in this case.

All went well, the two cars unloaded, engine uncoupled and drove to the trackmark on the adjacent track. BUT, the engine stopped when it moved to the adjacent track. Then a strange sight - the previously uncoupled cars were approaching the engine on the adjacent track, just like obedient dogs following their master's car to the shopping center. They did not try to couple but, instead pulled to within a few feet of the engine and stopped. Perhaps they were waiting for a treat for being good cars and following their master (engine). :eek:

Stuff like this is undoubtedly a mystery (to be solved) to some but, to me it is a time waster.

I have had somewhat similar effects to what you describe. Try this: Insert a "wait for 5 seconds" after unloading. Consist will be fully stopped, then uncouple the engine. Hope it helps.

Well, you came close to the culprit - Gravity.

The coal unloader is raised above the ground with inclines on each end of the loading area. The train climbs the incline and offloads the coal. It then uncouples, and begins the steps to go to the back of the train and couple. Well, it uncouples on the way down the incline and the cars are still moving. I pulls away and the cars almost catch-up to the engine as it accelerates toward the next command stop. The cars, in the meantime have sufficient momentum to follow whatever route is set at that time. In this case they end up on the track the engine will take for a re-couple at the end of the consist. These cars are fitted with new Teflon bearings so they continue on the track that the engine has now switched to and the engine and the cars eventually are happily rejoined. A romantic ending.

Teflon bearings.. Everyday I learn something new! But really, when you uncoule cars, the brake should be set. If so, you could'nt use them in a hump yard. The suggestion should then be that we should be provided with a control to set brakes ON and OFF depending on the situation. A wishful thinking...

Yep, such a control would be helpful. The unloader's incline made it a miniature hump yard. Amazing how far they "rolled".

The suggestion should then be that we should be provided with a control to set brakes ON and OFF depending on the situation. A wishful thinking...

There is. Not at home right now but I know there is a driver command called 'SetHandbrake' as I have used it successfully. Use this control before uncoupling and the wagons will stay where they are.

Peter

lod011.jpg

Back