Are objects updated automatically to routes?

hotchillies

If an object version is updated on the content manager, making an existing one obsolete, will any routes that used the previous version automatically use that new version?

I was doing some testing with a TRC crossing light which was not working, I found there was an updated version so downloaded it, but the route still had non functional crossing lights until I manually deleted it and readded it - presumably at which point it then updated to the new version.

If routes do not automatically update is there a way to automatically replace all obsolete assets with their newer version if I have already downloaded them? And therefore am I safe to delete all Obsolete objects from CM?

Last edited:
I should think you'd have to save the route under a new name and upload it. Any changes you make have no effect except on your machine.

All new versions replace the older version. It might not show in route until a save as the old version kuid may still be in its memory. Do a DBR after a download should also make them noticed.

If an object version is updated on the content manager, making an existing one obsolete, will any routes that used the previous version automatically use that new version?

When the route is opened in Surveyor or Driver the new version of the asset will be used. When the dependencies for the route are listed in CM the new version will be listed. When the route is saved the route will be updated to the new version.

Thanks for the replies :), think I shall make sure to close/reopen trainz then re-save a route just to be sure it has picked up any updates.

I was doing some testing with a TRC crossing light which was not working, I found there was an updated version so downloaded it, but the route still had non functional crossing lights until I manually deleted it and readded it - presumably at which point it then updated to the new version.
A new version of an asset is automatically used in a route as soon as it becomes available. However, the properties of the asset as defined for that usage in the route do not get updated. The properties include those things you can set using the Properties tab in Surveyor, and some other internal data. If the updated version of the asset changes some functionality related to those properties, then you do not see those changes until you delete the asset from the route and re-add it so the properties get re-initialised, or manually adjust the properties (where applicable). AFAIK there is no way around this, and there is no way to predict which assets will require this procedure.

I'm using TRS 2019. I was able to fix a broken crossing in route/session editor and tested it working on ok quick drive. However reloading a pre-existing driver game did not appear to correct the crossing, it partially fixed it in that the arms came down and the lights flashed but the bell and traffic stopper were not working. Odd as when I created a new driver game for the same session it worked OK. Database Repair and reload of TRS and resave of the original driver save made no difference, I think the only thing that would work would be to delete the crossing altogether and add it back in again exactly as it was. I suspect there is some sort of bug or caching issue where the old crossing is not being properly updated with the driver save, or maybe the crossing is stuck in some sort of wierd state in the same game.

I get a similar issue with Industries, existing driver saves do not uptake any adjustments to Industry goods and quantities, but new driver games or quick drive do. Hopefully the new Unified Driver Surveyor will sort this out. I'm basically looking for a persistent world feel where I can have a savegame in which I edit the world around it to fix issues, place waggons, correct industries etc, but my driven trains and industry states essentially remain as they were when I last saved them.

Back