Europe before 1970

It is a cool September morning, and operations are already starting. Engines are being fired up and run out of the roundhouse for the days assignments. The roundhouse is slowly coming alive this morning.

But, all work seems to ease to a stop as a curious event occurs at just about the same time every morning. Driver Werner Greim, punctual as always, pulls old BR 50 No. 5610 from her berth in the roundhouse. Her usual tender froze a bearing a few days ago, so she pulls a “loaner” tender for now.

The trick is that BR 50 will just barely fit on the bridge – there is practically no clearance at the front and rear of the consist. Werner is the only driver who has managed to fit BR 50 onto the bridge perfectly, on the first try, and he’s done this unbelievable feat of skill for the past two weeks.

All eyes watch every morning, wondering if Werner’s streak will survive another morning. Fireman Stahl stops his routine checks of the running gear for his engine as he watches to see if Werner will succeed yet again.

ftse78si_o.jpg

Kohlmann Gregor watches as Werner eases the engine to a stop on the turntable. Gregor is not aware that he is holding his breath, standing at his coaling station while watching the event unfold. Werner will next back his engine up to Gregor’s post to top off with coal. Gregor has several marks riding on a bet with Werner, so he is willing Werner’s streak to fail.

QNDN0yGb_o.jpg

The turntable master, Herr Blick, does a careful walk-around, checking the clearance at the rear first, and then the front, making sure that Werner’s engine is properly and safely on the bridge. He is a stickler for details, and everyone knows that if Herr Blick thinks the engine is not set properly, he will order Werner to reposition the engine.

He is the key to success or failure for Werner’s streak. There is a sudden hush at the roundhouse, and even the engines seem to quiet down, as all eyes are on Herr Blick.

Everyone watches as Herr Blick walks along the side of engine 50, making no sign as to his decision. He walks towards the cab of the engine, where he will surely stop and call up to Werner that the engine is not properly set.

But he doesn’t stop. He keeps on walking and quickly enters his wheelhouse, with the amber light flashing to indicate that he is about to begin turning the bridge. The streak is still alive! Werner has done it again. Herr Blick has approved the engine positioning.

Gregor smacks his hand on the rail of the coal station, and starts to dig the marks from his pocket. Werner will surely want the payoff when he backs up to get coal.

QvFDsm80_o.jpg

High above the drama, Hans watches in silence from the roof of the roundhouse. He is one of the many young boys that work jobs around the roundhouse. They are apprentices so to speak, that hope someday to work the engines. But today, he is clearing out the roundhouse smokestacks, a glorified chimney sweep.

He is smiling broadly. Werner is his hero, and he wants nothing more than to work as fireman for Werner and his beautiful engine. He starts wrestling with the smokestack cover, before anyone notices that he took a break to watch the engine drama. The clouds are darkening on the horizon, and he figures that a storm is coming.

The year is 1938.

Rmo9F2OG_o.jpg

I add my congrats Gary , I love your pictures ans story !!!

Iconic steam engines, and perfect scene , just a real pleasure...

Very friendly, Marc

I missed a station after checking my notes for my steam version of Siljelma route that I have altered for myself, Rupsi Halt Also changed the NZ houses for Swedish ones, added a co-op store and the 2 story building on the hill is the Arts building, after looking at wiki it says a lot of art comes from this area. I did add a little station building but not even know if it was required station actually closed in 1915 on the real line, the whole line is now one of the state highways

Big thanks to Vern having so much fun with this route.

Tom
Rupsi-Station.jpg

Last edited:
Now, let's have a ride with Gerard Streumont, proud chief driver, after 35 years of service, at the SNCV. (Société Nationale des chemins de fer Vicinaux)

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Back