from layer to layer

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Ever since layers were introduced, I've been using them to help manage the many objects I'm working with in Surveyor.
Now I've noticed something strange.
In my current route, there are several layers, some from TransDEM and others I added. Tracks were created in the TransDEM-rail, the UTM tiles were created in the TransDEM-UTM.
I opened it today and find objects have moved to different layers. Not just a few but complete sets. Anyone else have this happen?
I tried to use the bulk asset update but nothing moves between layers when instructed to do so. Is this feature turned off?
:(

TS12,TANE,TRS19 layer trouble

Hi Martin this problem(bug) happens already since early TANE and late TS12 and with TRS19 latest builds it seems only to get worse most objects tossed around and ending up on different layers.
Yes bulk asset not work on moving them to the layer you want and splines are the worse affected by this.
I did talk to N3V about this in length but not sure if this thread might wake them up and do something.
I thought it happens when doing merge route and or merge route and merge layers, hard to tell as its impossible to verify each time all assets or layers if still ok in large routes.
Layers never have been a feature (for me, but i need them) but a big big pain causing a lot more work than what it was intended for.
Hang in there 911 is informed and hope they take this very serious.

Roy

As with all bugs, there is a process that is required so that we can fix the issue:
1. Clearly identify the issue including whether it happens with all classes of assets.
2. Provide reproducable steps that lead to the bug appearing, including whether it requires a legac route to be involved (perhaps the issue is that a save at some point in the distant past, some data was not saved for example).

We can't fix "some things sometimes move from one layer to another without me doing anything".

Firstly, something did happen for the items to be moved (it could be caused in the previous save, it could be when reloading, but more likely to do with a merge operation for example).

So for this to be recitified, any additional information you can provide to shed light on the subject would be appreciated.

So I wasn't just imagining it or suffering from fumble fingers. Hope it gets fixed, soon[SUP]TM[/SUP]

Well, it's a brand new map created by TransDEM 2.6.3.0 and imported into TRS19
The tracks and UTM tiles come from TransDEM and were saved in TransDEM-rail and TransDEM-UTM respectively.
In TRS19, the track was bulk replaced for another track. Despite selecting "anywhere on the route," I find some of the original track is still there.
New layers for guides and signals were created and used for those types of objects.
Next several evenings editing the ground elevations to accommodate the stations I would be placing and placing various guides for future work.
Following the update to 98149 and some beta route testing, I returned to my new route when I found many of the UTM tiles on the wrong layer as well as some of the track on another layer TransDEM-vectorr.
After manually moving them, bulk asset update wouldn't move the track, I merged the TransDEM-rail and TransDEM-vector layer with the route-layer.
The UTM tiles were manually moved back to the TransDEM-UTM layer. Hope they stay there.
Tried to measure the map with the ruler but as I neared one edge, having pulled the ruler from the far end, I got a CTD. Based on Google Earth measurements, the map is about 60 km x 25 km, double track suburban / urban with several large yards. No idea how long the total track length is, must be close to 1000 km.
No idea how or when the layer mixing started. I seldom click on the "?" unless I'm renaming an object.

The files are bigger than the 10MB limit in the bug reporter. Need time to prepare an upload folder.
Bug report submitted.

Last edited:
Back