Help with US Signalling - Signals over a certain distance from train remain red.

Davie_UCF

Here since 2001, Trainz!!
I'm using searchlight style signals on my route and noticed a rather annoying issue.

On some sections my AI trains are slowing to half speed upon approaching a yellow signal because the next one is red even though the path and route of the next one is clear. As soon as the train gets closer to the yellow signal the red signal clears and the yellow one goes green.

I really want (traffic permitting) my trains to run on greens sometimes but this odd 'feature'? is ruining it. I've experimented by moving the next signal closer, which improves it slightly but still upon entering the section if the next section is clear I don't want my train to see the yellow signal, I want it to clear.

While on the subject it is quite annoying how when a train is a certain distance from a yellow signal it slows down to near half speed. As a real driver you wouldn't necessarily slow down until you're right ontop of that signal and into the next section, not to mention in most cases the AI train can't even see the yellow signal yet! But as it's Trainz it knows the next signal is yellow and slows right down :eek:.

I want my train to enter that section and by the time it sights the yellow, it clears to green (obviously traffic permitting once more).

But some strange feature causes the next signal to sit at red until the train is within a certain distance of it. In testing it seems to be around 930 yards before it clears.

The plot thickens. I'm using US Searchlight signals but upon replacing my signal with a UK one it works as intended, so it must be the US style signals that have this weird functionality?

Anyone have any ideas? Encountered this issue?

Last edited:
Have you tried using invisible signals(The one's by NorfolkSouthern37) either ahead or after signals? There's also Signal Thingy(Invisible, and either left or right) on the DLS that can solve different problems.
Dean

Last edited:
Have you tried using invisible signals(The one's by NorfolkSouthern37) either ahead or after signals? There's also Signal Thingy(Invisible, and either left or right) on the DLS that can solve different problems.
Dean

An invisible signal in-between does shorten the distance before the signal clears but feels a little dodgy and it causes signals to be out of sequence, like getting a green, then a red without the yellow. It works in some cases on single line where I know the signal will clear when the train is within a certain distance.
A really strange feature, I can't imagine signal sections are so small in the real world.

Dave,

Try some Type 05 permissive signals in between. This will smooth out the blocks and your AI drivers will move along nicely. I place them every mile or so on longer stretches of track, or as a general rule twice as long as my longest consist on some other routes. I have found this to be quite successful and have done it since at least TS2010.

Have you tried using the invisible type after where you're getting a red? Not knowing the exact situation makes it hard to fully understand. I suggested invisible assets so you don't see them everywhere.
Dean

P.S. I'm sure you know by now this ain't always close to the real world?

Last edited:
Dave,

Try some Type 05 permissive signals in between. This will smooth out the blocks and your AI drivers will move along nicely. I place them every mile or so on longer stretches of track, or as a general rule twice as long as my longest consist on some other routes. I have found this to be quite successful and have done it since at least TS2010.

This is the technique to use, I use 5's every 2 miles for long stretches of open track, use 4's on opposing turnours, 6's for facing turnouts, and 6 Distance signals before a 6 L/R and 8's if there are multiple paths to choose from. Stay away from using 8's/6's unless they are need to control train speed.

John

This is the technique to use, I use 5's every 2 miles for long stretches of open track, use 4's on opposing turnours, 6's for facing turnouts, and 6 Distance signals before a 6 L/R and 8's if there are multiple paths to choose from. Stay away from using 8's/6's unless they are need to control train speed.

John

Yup John, that's the same setup I use as well. It works very well too!

Back