What!

robd

jvuxrdn.jpg

See you there then!

Its the wrong name for a start. His first names are; Henry Charles Albert David, his surname is Mountbatten-Windsor and his title is HRH Prince Henry of Wales, Harry is a family nick name. It would however be nice to hear that a member of the Trainz community had receive a genuine invitation. Peter

Many many years ago now (!) i played an April 1st trick on a bus.

It was a large company and I was in a branch a few miles from the Glasgow city centre. In the main office I phoned our popular manager from the main office next his room. I pretended that I was from a trade delegation from the then USSR and our head office had given directions for him and a party in two cars to visit us. Putting on a mock accent speaking in broken English I explained needed new directions as had lost the notes and did not want appear silly to our head office. So in my "broken English" spoke to Bill and he responded slowly and carefully. When I finished the chat and he put the phone down he came rushing out of his room and told the other 6 of us to get organised as a trade delegation was arriving in about 15 minutes. The rest knew the game I was playing at and Bill pushed us into a tidy up. He kept looking at his watch and then a short time later I knocked his half open door and said in a tried broken English again that all was well. He looked puzzled at first then I commented "April Fool Day!" The rest of staff all laughed but he swore and threw a cigarette plate at the door so I retired quickly.

Was niggled for a wee while but by the tea break he did start to laugh and put up with being really fooled! Have never ever tried such again........

So. You were the fellow from the sub continent working for Channel 4.

I could carry on, having weird sense of humour, but am frit:cool:

HappyEaster to all.

ess

Speaking from my experiences on my last visit to Glasgow a few years ago, Glaswegians don't need to put on "funny accents":hehe:

Indeed. Had son in law - now sadly no longer with us - from Glasgee. Difficult to find the sub titles. He was a golfer!
:eek:

I took boys camps to Ulster for years and the local teen girls loved their Glasgow accents! Mind you when you hear some English local ones they are worse.

Sending from the centre of the Universe.......

Some years ago, a lady from Wales mentioned that American Rock singers do not sing with an American accent. I pondered that for a while. I listened to The Stones, the Beatles and other notable foreign bands. Indeed, I could not discern an accent.

Even Van Morrison's lyrics were intelligible. Yet, when I listen to him talk in an interview, I have a heck of a time making out what he is saying.

I guess the moral of the story is we should all sing to each other instead of talking.

Some years ago, a lady from Wales mentioned that American Rock singers do not sing with an American accent. I pondered that for a while. I listened to The Stones, the Beatles and other notable foreign bands. Indeed, I could not discern an accent.

Even Van Morrison's lyrics were intelligible. Yet, when I listen to him talk in an interview, I have a heck of a time making out what he is saying.

I guess the moral of the story is we should all sing to each other instead of talking.

Opera singers sing without an accent, even when singing in a foreign language. All the bands listed above are essentially blues bands, where the music determines the enunciation of the lyrics. Allow that MJ camps it up a bit, but you have to admit he does it to good effect, viz Midnight Rambler or Alley Cat Blues.

Back