Help on MILW EB Freight in the Snow

Heinrich505

I'm running the helper in cab mode on the EB freight to Drexel in the snow, TANE SP2.

The route is amazing. I am floored by the scenery and the route.

Problem is, I can't seem to get more than 15 mph on this incredibly long freight, and as I get to the two tunnels, possibly on the summit (3.50% or better), wheel spin kills me and I end up spinning wheels to a stop. I've been using copious amounts of sand to get wheel purchase but I'm getting stalled out just as I come out of the 2nd tunnel at a signal and a siding line.

Once I'm stalled out, even gently adding notches doesn't help. I start sliding backwards and have to brake again...or worse, can't stop the slide. Incredibly long train.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Heinrich505

Okay, disregard. The pass looks like Galveston Beach right about now. Made it across after several tries.

This was quite a challenge. Lots of fun though. Always unnerving when you run through a 180 curve and you can look across the divide and see the rest of your train, above you and yet to make it to the curve. That was one long train. :eek:

Heinrich505

When I was 7, Granddad took me on a run from Spokane to Deer Lodge and back the next day over that line. TUME's done a great job, looks just like the real thing did. (That was 63 years or so ago...)

:B~)

Back