Amtrak train collides with CSX freight train in South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob is correct here. You dont know the first thing about what is going on with the railroad. When you think of the US railroads in the same way the UK operates you are simply wrong. There is a lot more area here, a lot more rail network, and a lot bigger trains. This isn't the first time you have shown up to a thread and applied your "knowledge" to form an opinion without knowing the slightest thing about or completely ignoring the circumstances. A mistake was made and people died for it. Have some respect for them instead of spouting off about "systemic failure" when you know nothing.

^^Nailed it

It would be wise if everyone refrained from turning this place into TrainOrders and freaking out over an accident where two men lost their lives in a horiffic manner.

That being said, it is not fair that US railroads are compared to UK railroads. The US rail system was build primarily for freight after the 1950s and 60s when the automobile and aircraft captured the American spirit. Passenger rail, despite being around again for 40ish years, is now on a comeback thanks to a generation that takes the train more. That is why Amtrak's ridership has increased year after year. Additionally, PTC is still a relatively new technology here and it will take some time to work out the bugs and adapt it. The PTC system in use here (ITCS) still goes down from time to time because it is not a perfected system yet. However, when it is up, it does its job well and as a result we have some of the fastest trains in the country clocked at 110 MPH with 125 MPH-capable equipment coming soon.

To recap: Stop comparing the US to the UK. Both rail systems are great at what they do, but they were built for different purposes. Also, passenger rail is making a comeback here and it will take some time for the rail network to be adapted completely to account for the safety factor.

Is it really our place to comment, give opinion, even pass judgement on such tragedies that take place in other parts of the world other than our own - unless we're all experts on worldwide incidents such as this we should remain silent in respect of those that suffered!

Indeed, I really don't understand why such postings of tragedy should be on what is essentially a game forum!

Rob.

+1 to this.

Other forums (UKTS for example) have a very strict policy regard to posting or discussing real world mishaps or incidents, precisely to avoid speculation which at best is disrespectful to those killed or injured or at worst could be picked up by MSM or even lawyers acting in the case. IMHO there is far too many posts appearing in Proto Talk (from one individual in particular) which have precious little connection to Trainz or the train simming hobby and would better off belong in a personal blog...

I can say this. I have first hand knowledge of the people involved. The conductor never intended for this happen and is a good person who for brief moment got to complacent in his job. I also know the Engineer, so while everyone is pretending they know what is going on and who should be charged with what, NO ONE HAS A DAMN clue. You people don't know the track, the conditions of Cayce/Dixiana at 3am or what it's like to work a 8 track auto ramp. So please spare us your know it all opinions. Two of my friends are DEAD and another is most likely going to prison for some time. While you arm chair railroader wanna bees are priding yourselves in your lack of knowledge, funerals are being prepared. I'll close with this. I know the area, I've worked it, I've walked it and I still live 20 minutes away from it.
@CascadeRailroad, why do you take your lame ass opinions and shove them up what ever hole you feel like. All you have ever done is spout lame bull**** comments.

@CascadeRailroad, why do you take your lame ass opinions and shove them up what ever hole you feel like. All you have ever done is spout lame bull**** comments.

This man deserves a beer and a standing ovation! Am rail that is the best thing I’ve read all week

It is not my "lame personal opinion" ... But it is a "Fact" ... The "Fact", that on a single track Main track, the switch was left locked with a RR padlock, diverging the Main track, onto an occupied siding ... Is this "Fact" a such an outright hurtful bull lie ? And why is that "Fact" so lame ? Sorry about your friends, those who perished ... and those who made catastrophic safety mistakes ... From communication with the Dispatcher ... on down to the conductor who locked the switch, and left it locked in the diverging position, in the wee hours of the morning, at a very busy location, in whatever weather conditions existed at that time ... And those are "Facts" ... not an opinion

View at 400% zoom: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...219c3/5a779eb61970b.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Last edited:
This event has been a tragedy for all those directly and indirectly involved.

I think the relevant and even some irrelevant comments have been made, so to avoid this turning into a (bigger) drama I am locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back