CPU

gtatransam

Well after some bench markers I realized i think that it seems as though my older i7 3770k is maxed out and causing a bottle neck for my 980ti.Does anyone have recommendations for a CPU.also is there anyone getting more than 30 fps with settings maxed out.I get a solid 30 fps as long as the distance draw is turned way down but pushed all the way up half that in fps

There are the newer Skylake processors, but you'll have to update your motherboard to go with them. I had the old 3770k it was a nice solid processor with the old Z-series Intel motherboard I had to go with it. I'm running an older 5830 with a GTX1080Ti with good results. I used to use a GTX780Ti, which worked okay, but was getting a bit slow for the times.

At the Launcher, go into Settings. Right there on the general panel, you'll see your screen resolution.

In order to change the resolution and set the frame rates, you need to check the full screen checkbox. Make the change, then uncheck it if you want to run windowed. The options you want to go above half-rate, aka 30 fps, is full. You can try none, but that might put more of a strain on your system.

I've just recently upgraded to a i5 7600 with a Asus ROG Strix 1060 6gb. As graphics go it benchmarks just below your 980ti but I've never seen my processor bottleneck at all. I use a draw of 6000 metres, process object behind camera off and shadows at medium and everything else maxed out. With vsync set to full I get between 25 and 60 fps with only the heaviest scenery areas causing the occasional stutter. An upgrade of an i5x or i7 cpu, mainboard and at least 16gb 2400mhz ram would get you the performance you would like to achieve and give you a platform for a later graphics upgrade to a 1070 or 1080.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
Consider AMD's Ryzen and Threadripper options depending on budget. The Ryzen 5 6 core parts and Ryzen 7 8 core parts provide exceptional multi-threaded performance at price points that make locked i5 and i7 processors a significantly less compelling option. Threadripper is also set to shake up the HEDT market by providing a 16 core, 32 thread part with comparable IPC to an x299 based i9 for a significantly lower price compared to the Intel equivalent. Another consideration is platform cost, with AMD motherboards providing all the same high end feature sets at a lower price point as well.

Jack

Not having a go at AMD, but when you factor in the dearer mainboard and RAM it works out about the same. Wanted a Ryzen when I got my new system, it was much cheaper to go Intel as Ryzen is being sold up a level in gaming systems over here and were $100 dearer for a R5 system.
Graeme

I would very much doubt that a 3770K is going to be anything other than a slight bottleneck on a 980ti if that. You can always overclock the 3770K

Since that has a multiplier that is unlocked, did you try to mess with it, get it above 4Ghz? It should do it fairly easily. See if you get enough improvement.

I have an old fart delidded 3770K on water and 560mm radiator, hits 5GHz but have pulled it back to 4.5 for longevity. Have used it with 7970, R9 280, R9 290, GTX770 and GTX1060 with no bottlenecks. Get a nice heatsink and bump it up, it's still a great chip if you don't want to upgrade platforms.

Sounds good. I use the 4790K, with Noctua CPU cooler. I run it at 4.8Ghz all day, w/GTX 980. Good enough for every thing I throw at it so far. I run T:ANE with everything at maximum settings. Even after that, no lag or weirdness. TS12, however, the stutters and database repairs are of some other internal programming problems. SSDs don't smooth it like T:ANE. Oh well... :)

Back