GTX 1070 not meeting benchmarks

ktain.ny

Below are some benchmarks for the GTX 1070.

Battlefield 4 on 1440p: 57 FPS

GTA V 1440p:72fps

I get

Battlefield 4: 38 fps

GTA V: 41fps

It's not bottlenecking, I have an i5 6600k.

It's not thermal throttling, my PC never gets that hot.

I always install the newest driver so soon as I see them.

So what is the problem?

So many variables that might account for this type of discrepancy...
Whose benchmarks? What was their test-rig configuration/ specifications?
GPU Clock speed, Boost and memory speed;
Detail & quality settings;
CPU clock speed and IPC; (i7 vs i5 caching and hyperthreading differences, for example)
Cooling/ thermal limits;
Multitasking and running background apps, etc.
i.e. Might not be indicative of a problem if you're comparing apples to oranges (instead of apples to apples).

Last edited:
Check the Nvidia Control Panel, 3D Settings, Manage 3D settings, Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration and set it fore Single display it defaults to multi and cut your FPS in half.

There are other things to consider as well including the drivers themselves. First of all ensure you have the most recent drivers, and if you've recently updated from an older NVidia video card, you need to put in fresh drivers.

You can do this via the NVidia installer and perform a clean install.

Overall I would also check for background applications, scan for malware, defragment the hard drives, etc. These factors can impact the performance substantially.

Yes, heat can be a limiting factor as well. If you haven't done it recently, it's time to clean out the dust and dirt from the fans and vents on the computer case. Be careful with canned compressed air though. Put a pencil or drinking straw into the fan before using any forced air, otherwise you can over spin the fans and damage the bushings and motors.

Never, ever, use a house vacuum cleaner to clean a computer due to static electricity. The hose on the house vacuum is not grounded and there can be a high static build-up within the vacuum cleaner, which can discharge and destroy your computer hardware.

Hard drive was de fragged before this post, the processor on the benchmark rig was an i7 6700k.

But my FPS still shouldn't be this bad, this is s 1440p card for Christ sake!

The i5 has some threading limitations too which can impact your performance including cache size, number of processor cores, and other things such as intelligent branching and hyper-threading capabilities. If you are basing your performance off of someone else's benchmarks, you should make sure you are comparing apples to apples because the benchmark may have been done with a i7 or an AMD processor, which is different than your i5.

With that said, your numbers are way down so there's definitely something else going on.

What are the other system specs?

Have you tried the calculator that Malc provided?

That bottleneck calculator says the CPU is underpowered for the GPU, it's only a 14% bottleneck so hardly likely to be causing that much of a performance issue, suggest running GPUz and see if the Graphics card is being throttled in any way. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
It may be being throttled to keep the heat below 83C which seems to be the favourite setting for Nvidia, or it may be a power issue.

Bottleneck detected: Your CPU is too weak for this graphic card.

What kind of drive are you using for where trainz is installed? I bet it is not SSD.

Hard drive was de fragged before this post, the processor on the benchmark rig was an i7 6700k.

But my FPS still shouldn't be this bad, this is s 1440p card for Christ sake!

Surprise surprise, the game is running on an SSD.

I think I need to make a call to power spec.

So, is the drive an SSD or not? If it is, you are going to ruin it if it defragged because SSDs only need to use "trim" feature.
Before you can appreciate what TRIM does, you'll first have to know this: Left unchecked, the performance of a SSD will deteriorate with use. This is due to the awkward way that solid state drives overwrite data to areas that already contain information.

Example: You copy a file to your brand new SSD. Since the file is being copied to a fresh blank space, the SSD is able to write the data directly at full speed. When you delete this file later, it is not instantly removed from the SSD - Instead the operating system simply marks the space taken up by the file as "not in use".

When the operating system requires more space, it will simply overwrite this "not in use" zone. A traditional hard disk drive is able to overwrite data in one single operation, but a solid state drive first has to erase all data in this "not in use" space before it is able to record the new data.

This awful situation is compounded by the fact that solid state drives are only able to delete data in large 512 kB blocks so this slows down the entire overwriting process even more.
Here's how SSD TRIM saves the day: When you delete a file from your SSD, the operating system will still mark the file space as "not in use"... but in addition, a TRIM command is sent to wipe that marked space clean. That way, your SSD is able to write data to that marked space as if it was brand new and skip the cumbersome deletion process.

That's why TRIM is so crucial: It makes sure that your SSD performance doesn't degrade with use, and keeps it (nearly) as fast as new.

Interesting. I never knew about multi-display being the default, so I corrected that. And didn't really know what Trim does, now I do.

How does one access TRIM? And do you need to apply it to each SSD drive separately, or is it a system-wide thing by default?

Last edited:
Heh, I should have clarified my specs.

I have a 480 gb SSD, and a 1tb HDD. It's a good mix of storage as I like to have the more demanding games on the ssd, and the less demanding on the hard drive.

I also have 16gb ddr4 ram, the 6600k, and obviously the 1070 msi edition.

Done, thanks.

The instructions use an undefined abbreviation ReFS. My system doesn't have ReFS apparently, but what is it?

Resilient File System (ReFS), codenamed "Protogon", is a Microsoft proprietary file system introduced with Windows Server 2012 with the intent of becoming the "next generation" file system after NTFS.

Just ignore it, it's a new filesystem Microsoft have been developing to replace NTFS, It is not needed yet unless you want to try it out! https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-resilient-file-system-refs-windows-10

Guys? Can we get back on track here?

So I played some online GTA and my frame rates were ridiculous. I was seeing 25 in some places.

What is wrong with my pc? I put so much money into this system, I don't know what's wrong.

Back