Getting a new graphics card!

nathanmallard

Okay, so I'm getting a new graphics card. I've finally lost patience with the crappy integrated graphics on my PC.
I quite like the look of this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...phics+card&dpPl=1&dpID=51U+AA88LbL&ref=plSrch
(Long link I know)
I'd be willing to spend a bit more but I don't want to go over £100. Quite frankly 70 would be pushing it so this looks very attractive indeed. My question is would it be compatible with an AMD CPU?
How it would it run TS2016 (DTG)? I'm not a member of any of the steam forums and it seems quite a few here own both games.

I bought a GTX 430 video card, as my PS was only 400W Lite Off brand, and upgraded to 8GB RAM, and a 1TB HD ... I should have put in an 800W PS, so I could then have bought a $500 video card ... I haven't even plugged in my retrofitted desktop PC, as I know it will be a disappointment because of bottlenecks

I did look at a 1060. I assume that would run T:ANE quite nicely? I could probably get a refurbished one for cheaper than that.

I agree with robd, definitely go with the 6gb.

If your into gaming in general (not just trainz), you'll be able to run most things maxed out at 60fps.

You'll want a 6GB 1060 at least. I can not stress enough, DO YOUR RESEARCH. I bought an 8GB XFX RX480 8GB, as I was told it's "the same as the 1060", and would "run T:ANE at 4K under max settings at 60 FPS". Well, not quite. I average 40 FPS under all-max settings (except shadows, on medium), at 1080P resolution. Now I'm stuck with it, because replacing a GPU I've only had for 3 months would be very irrational, especially when it can handle every other game I have very well.

Matt

Last edited:
Nathan's first choice in post #1 is a desktop GPU, barely step above integrated 5500 series Intel.

1050TI is IMO the lowest 10XX that is going to be any use for TANE, clocks in at around the same performance as a GTX680 but without the high power requirements, 195 watts v 75 Watts for the 1050ti and 2GB of DDR5 v 4GB DDR5 for the 1050ti.
Older cards maybe a GTX750ti which quite a few were using on here a while back which is all you are really going to get that's usable around the £100 mark.
Generally any Nvidia Card xx60 upwards is what you need for games, lower are just entry level cards and not much if any better than Intel's generally abysmal graphics.

Back