An Example of the Longevity of Steam Locomotives

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
Just over 140 years after it was built, Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming Company 2-6-0 #1 Glenbrook was returned to steam in May of 2015. It hadn't run since 1927, sitting still for 88 years. The Glenbrook now holds the record as the oldest operating narrow gauge steamer in North America, having built in April of 1875. After watching a video of this piece of history, I wish that more steam locos from the 19th century was operating, as they were more colorful, and used various metals, at that time. Nowadays, majority of operating steamers are painted black. Restoring steamers built in the 19th century are more difficult because the pieces needed and the information needed to restore it is also harder to find compared to steamers built in the 20th century. I also wish that more kids would put down their video games and get their hands dirty restoring these pieces of American history.

pieces needed and the information needed to restore it is also harder to find

With respect to all steam engine restorations, in such a situation why can't a modern part be McGyvered, fabricated and used in its place? Sure, it's not what the 1875 blueprint calls for but if it works why not?

With respect to all steam engine restorations, in such a situation why can't a modern part be McGyvered, fabricated and used in its place? Sure, it's not what the 1875 blueprint calls for but if it works why not?

True, but there are some groups who would rather have it all original instead of using reproduction parts.

Yeah, that's the thing I don't understand. We have the tech to send bloody rockets out of the solar system but somehow have trouble fixing old steamers? I mean if original blueprints and parts can be easily found and produced, sure. But if not, just find another way instead of just letting it sit there and moping about "ooh we can't find plans, we can't make parts, it's too costly" et al. I find it ridiculous that it takes years or even decades to restore one locomotive - in the same timeframe China has probably built a dozen new HSR lines and set a new world record for longest bridge over water.

Last edited:
This seems to be something we are very good at in the UK. I can think of six locomotives 150 years old or more that are (or soon will be) in fairly regular use in the UK. I suspect there are more that I can't immediatley recall too...

Whether this is because the British are more willing to part with their cash or offer their services to put the locos back into service or there is some other reason I don't know. The UK definitely shows what can be achieved with the steam preservation with a huge range of projects ranging from restoring rusting hulks to building brand new locomotives with modern improvements built into traditional designs.

This seems to be something we are very good at in the UK. I can think of six locomotives 150 years old or more that are (or soon will be) in fairly regular use in the UK. I suspect there are more that I can't immediatley recall too...

Whether this is because the British are more willing to part with their cash or offer their services to put the locos back into service or there is some other reason I don't know. The UK definitely shows what can be achieved with the steam preservation with a huge range of projects ranging from restoring rusting hulks to building brand new locomotives with modern improvements built into traditional designs.

I think it's because of the huge role trains play in British culture and society. I can think of a lot of examples where trains have indirectly influenced British culture, and how important they were in the Industrial Revolution. The steam locomotive itself is a British invention, and some of the most famous locomotives in the world are British; Stephenson's Rocket, Mallard, and Flying Scotsman, and when Britons think of steam locomotives, those are usually some of the first ones that come to mind, and because steam locomotives are such an important part of British heritage and history, Britons want to preserve that part of their heritage and their history.

Thanks for the video!

I just embarked on a quest to create a simulation of the Alaska Central Railway, the earliest predecessor to what eventually became the Alaska Railroad. Your video is very much appreciated here!

Yeah, that's the thing I don't understand. We have the tech to send bloody rockets out of the solar system but somehow have trouble fixing old steamers? I mean if original blueprints and parts can be easily found and produced, sure. But if not, just find another way instead of just letting it sit there and moping about "ooh we can't find plans, we can't make parts, it's too costly" et al. I find it ridiculous that it takes years or even decades to restore one locomotive - in the same timeframe China has probably built a dozen new HSR lines and set a new world record for longest bridge over water.

I think you're forgetting the most crucial factor for these things mentioned: money. All those things that you mentioned require funding, and there's a BIG difference between shooting rockets off and restoring steam locomotives. The rockets and probes that we've shot off into space were government funded, which is just another way of saying that taxpayers paid for it. Same for the China Railway Corporation: government funding. As long as governments tax their citizens and have citizens to tax, there will pretty much always be enough money for funding. However, steam restoration groups have no choice but to rely solely on crowdfunding, which has numerous cons: there can either be no money at all, not enough money, or the every penny needed, just a lot later than wanted. (That last downside listed is often why restoration projects take so long.)

Crowdfunding has been the bane of several restoration groups. I can think of a few steam locomotives here in the U.S. that were parked because they needed repairs but there wasn't enough money to make those repairs. St. Louis Southwestern (aka "Cotton Belt") #819 is a victim of this. #819 hasn't seen an excursion since 1993, and even though it would be feasible to restore it (which the museum that owns it is still looking to do after all this time, surprisingly), it's still sitting in disrepair solely from a lack of funds. And there have been many projects that never took off because of a lack of funds! But I can't say I've heard of any restoration projects that were foiled because they were unable to make parts to the original blueprint specifications. (And really, pretty much every steam locomotive out there has been modified in small varying degrees from their original blueprints, no matter how "original" all the parts are.) Most groups will go ahead and make an improvised part. More than likely, if a group is unable to make a part or multiple parts, it's usually because they either don't have the money (due to funding) or they don't have volunteers with the skills needed. (The lack of manpower is another major reason why restoration projects have either been slowed down or halted altogether, but that deserves a thread of its own.)

There is nothing that you can make on a 80" vertical lathe, that can't be made on a 80" horizontal lathe.(afaIk)

I'd agree with you on that. I'm not even sure there's anything on a steam locomotive that would even make a vertical lathe practical, especially at that size! (I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.) Seeing as how steam locomotives are horizontally oriented anyways, I would think that it would make more sense to have the part already placed horizontally.

Back