Real Lamps Lightning

fourmarch

To the asset creators,

Scenery lights and lamps are still obsolete in Tane.
I wonder why no asset has been created so far like explained below:

A train type asset, build as a simple light pole body to be placed on an invisible track.
So, like locomotives assets, if that 3D light post model with a proper attachment point to place a headlight, a correct kuid or corona, it would be possible to turn ON real lightning.

Train headlights illuminate objects but these do not project real shadows over the ground. In Tane only the Sun does that.
Anyway I think it would be better than the old lights assets.

Last edited:
It has been built. Search around the Content Creator's Forum.

The problem is these impose a severe performance penalty. There has been talk of adding "dynamic lights" to T:ANE, but as to when it'll happen, who knows, and it'll probably be somewhat limited, for performance reasons.

As I have stated several times on the forum, I have made a "real" floodlight. I believe others have also done it. It was very crude, but a skilled programmer could easily make a usable one.
Mick

Instead of these convoluted hacks we should be able to do it natively. this was another thing talked about with TANE that probably wont ever see light (hah). In some early dev shots of the 'new' trainz engine there are some items that look like such lights and there are some items in the tane shaders that point to this lighting but so far nothing on actually creating it and making practical use of it in the current game. it is a shame because this would make such a huge impact over silly post processing effects nobody uses or can save their favorite configuration of if they do happen to want one or two.

many games have had point lighting and volumetric lighting since the late 90s - never trainz.

Last edited:
If I recall this was brought up in the Trainz Dev forums sometime ago. Maybe the issue should be brought up again and see what happens.

I do know that the inability to save the post-processing effects issue is a known one which N3V (Tony even) mentioned is going to be fixed. When is the question? Maybe this should be brought up as well in the Trainz Dev forum.

Back