New Route Suggestions

acyunczyk

Virtual railroader
Does anyone have suggestions for routes which don't exist in Trainz? I may create some. USA/Canada routes only please.
My suggestions:

1. Charleston, SC
2. Chicago area
3. CSX Washington-Baltimore-Pittsburgh
4. Penn Central Ohio
5. NS Pocahontas Division
6. Iowa Interstate
7. Fictional New Jersey/Heavy Industry
8. Marion, OH area
9. East Chicago/Gary, IN
10. A variety of light industrial and suburban branch lines
11. Big-city short lines

I may use the suggestions for DLS routes, so be aware that your ideas may be used!

Moscow to Vladivostok...
Seriously there are a few that have cropped up over the years that no-one ever took up and a few I looked at but never got very far with:
McCloud Forest RR.
NYC Adirondack Malone Jn to Thendara.
Pacific Electric.
Mt Tampalpais.
Mt Lowe.
BN Goldendale Branch.
Carlton & Coast Forest Lines.
SF Muni.
SF Bart.
Rochester Trolley/Metro (the river bridge exists on the DLS).
LIRR Rockaway Beach Line.
Skunk Willits to Fort Bragg.
Algoma Central from SStM to Canyon.

There are many prefab DEM routes on the DLS by jrfolco which are already started with track but no tiger lines for roads and rivers. One of those could be trimmed to suit your needs as many are quite long. They have marker signs where the towns are, so its easier to match up on google earth to get a an impression of the areas you are texturing. Quite a lot of the eastern US ones can be merged as well to make a super route.
cheers
Graeme

An urban shortline would be nice - not nearly enough U.S.-ish urban or suburban stuff. 10, 3 and 10 get my vote, in that order.

My list of potential shortlines to model:
Brandon Railroad (Omaha, NE)
Brownsville and Rio Grande (Brownsville, TX)
Chattahoochee Industrial Railroad (Southern GA)
Chesapeake and Indiana (Northern IN)
Chicago Rail Link (South Side of Chicago)
Chicago Terminal Railroad (Near NW side of Chicago)
Columbus and Chattahoochee (Eastern AL)
Corpus Christi Terminal Railroad (Southern TX)
Dallas, Garland and Northeastern (Dallas, TX)
Detroit Connecting Railroad (Detroit, MI)
East Camden and Highland (Southern AR)
East Chattanooga Belt Railway (Chattanooga, TN)
East Cooper and Berkeley (Charleston area, SC)
East Erie Commercial Railroad (Erie, PA)
East Penn Railroad (Eastern PA)
East Tennessee Railroad (Eastern TN)
Elizabethtown Industrial Railroad (Elizabethtown, PA)
Everett RR (PA)

More to come...

I'm thinking of trying a Boston to NY map. Calling it ALCS Express or something like that with the concept of The Yankees and Red Sox have once again met for the coveted AL seat in the World Series. The trainz job will be to ferry the rowdy fans back and forth as the games jump stadiums. Just have to make the plunge and aquire the programs that give me good map templates so it can look realistic. I know the exact buildings/roads/houses/etc... can't happen, but a fair replacement asset should suffice (I hope)

If anyone is looking for something a bit outside the box, this site lists a raft of former Spanish railways which have been converted into rail-trails:

http://www.viasverdes.com/en/principal.asp

Use Trainz to put them back as they should be.

My favourite is the Jara - 52km of route leading into the mountains that never got round to having track laid on it. Just looking at it, you can hear vigorous Flamenco guitar music strumming in your ear!

If anyone is looking for something a bit outside the box, this site lists a raft of former Spanish railways which have been converted into rail-trails:

http://www.viasverdes.com/en/principal.asp

Use Trainz to put them back as they should be.

My favourite is the Jara - 52km of route leading into the mountains that never got round to having track laid on it. Just looking at it, you can hear vigorous Flamenco guitar music strumming in your ear!
Sorry, but I said US/Canada.

In that case Victor, Soledad Canyon! Preferably pre- Metrolink with the famous oil cans to and/from Bakersfield. I remember reading a very evocative account of a journey across the route in Trains magazine, many years ago...

In that case Victor, Soledad Canyon! Preferably pre- Metrolink with the famous oil cans to and/from Bakersfield. I remember reading a very evocative account of a journey across the route in Trains magazine, many years ago...
Are you talking about the TankTrain when you say 'oil cans'?

Are you talking about the TankTrain when you say 'oil cans'?

That's the one, think it was designated BKDOU on the loaded trip and DOBKU with the discharged tanks on the return.

At one point I did try and start Soledad myself (from 6000 miles away) from Palmdale to San Fernando but like so many of my projects, it fell by the wayside.

Back