potential copyright problems with uploads to DLS

billhughes

I was just wondering, if I have a route that I want to upload to the DLS, which uses something like Boatz ASB crossover for instance (which is a free download), is this legal to upload or would there be a problem with the creator of ASB crossover's rights? I would not want to infringe anyones rights as far as copyright etc goes

The way uploads work is that it references the assets used so users would need to download the assets themselves when they download the route.

The only potential issue you may run into though is if an asset creator has specified that they don't want their creations used in a Download Station route.

Shane

Given that their creation ia not distributed but simply referenced, in such a circumstance their rights are not infringed upon. Granted, its not polite conduct, but its not copyright infringement either.

Hi Bill,

Any asset that is on the DLS can be included in a route to be uploaded, frankly with or without asking. By uploading it to the DLS the author is agreeing to that – N3V payware routes too I believe!

As has been said, you are not including the actual asset in your upload, merely referencing where you want it placed. The user of your route will still have to download the actual asset separately, though this is largely automatic.

The only question would be about assets from other websites that are not on the DLS. Then permissions may be needed. But again since you are not uploading the actual asset, any user of your route would have to get that asset from the same source you did.

Just for the record, my payware item, ASB Turnout which is not on the DLS already has a disclaimer regarding this. It is.....
‘Route builders may reference ASB Turnout in their work and that work may be published as freeware or payware without reference to me. However, the purchased ASB assets themselves must not be passed on. Any published routes should include details of how and where to obtain the ASB Turnout assets’.

Other payware authors may have other ideas.

So Bill, include anything that’s on the DLS in your route. No problem.

Boat

Back