North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Thanks Robd. The insertion of the Selby to Gilberdyke is proving to be something of a challenge but I will get it done. From the 25 inch to the mile maps I have been looking at the N.E.R.'s Hull and Doncaster down line from Goole appears to go directly to the eastbound independent line through Gilberdyke station and not to the eastbound Fast line. This would appear to mean that the N.E.R. may have thought of the Hull and Selby line as "the main line". The 25 inch maps also show that the Hull and Selby line ran almost as straight as an arrow between Brough and a point to the west of Heminbrough station, then it curved towards Barlby Junction. I have realigned the track on the cloned built in route from Brough to Gilberdyke to be able to put Heminbrough station in approximately the right spot. It is not an exact replication of the line but I think that so far it is a close enough representation.

Hah, just discovered that Gilberdyke station was known as Staddlethorpe from 1840 to 1975!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130354-gilberdyke-modernisation-real-railway/

Last edited:
A Visitng Scot, NBR C11 Atlantic "Cock O' The North"

North East England during the steam era. 1923 and the early days of the L.N.E.R. operated East Coast Main Line in Northumberland. During 1922 the North British Railway in Scotland had anticipated changes with the grouping come January 1923 by having several crews assigned to their H Class Atlantics learn the Newcastle to Edinburgh route. Several NBR H Class Atlantics (becoming L.N.E.R. Class C11) were assigned to the top link occupied by N.E.R. V and Z Class Atlantics (L.N.E.R. Classes C6 and C7).

Here, Number 903, still in N.B.R. livery but with a tender lettered L. & N.E.R. above the number 903 is hauling the 9:50 a.m. down passenger express from Kings Cross to Edinburgh. Taking over at Newcastle instead of a Heaton or Gateshead Atlantic for the 3:44 p.m. departure from Newcastle, she is in her stride travelling north through Northumberland.

Edh6's new model of the Reid H Class Atlantic and Paulztrainz's ECJS coaches.

Heading north over the level crossing to the south of Chevington station.

Running through Chevington Station

Running through Chevington Station with the Amble branch train in the branch platform. The ststion still has its N.E.R. LQ signals.

Passing Amble Junction.

The view from the elevated cabin of Amble Junction Signal box.

As nice as Paulz ECJS coaches are, they can benefit from a bit of texture tweaking! No more red springs but all very subjective, of course!

jjFJHUq.jpg

Rob.

Personally I prefer the lighter teak, though not as light as I have seen on coaches in Hornby's OO range! However, there were immense variations in finish, depending upon age, timber batch, time since the last shopping, and the finishing protocol followed by the carriage works doing the building and overhauling. Doncaster tended to prefer white roofs on ECJS stock while York preferred grey and the application process differed between them too. I have no precise details on what Cowlairs preferred and followed. After the grouping Gresley did not seem to expend time on trying to significantly change long standing custom and practise at either the locomotive works or carriage works. His design influences on ECJS coaches started in 1906.

Roofs naturally darkened and dirtied in service from being behind steam locomotives as well as spending nearly all their time outdoors in an era when almost every house had at least one smoke belching chimney from a coal fire. I recall reading that "grey" ex-works often meant in practise "actually black" after a short time back in service. I have decided not to commission weathered coaches, since that will more than double the cost of the build by having both ex-works and weathered finishes.

Steve Banks has an interesting article and some good photos.

http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/133-teak-coaches

In one of them, sadly quite blurred you can make out the difference between a newly outshopped coach and the others. This reinforces what he has told me in the past, that in most cases coaches were put in to sets/consists on an individual basis when new or overhauled. there is also a good shot showing the variations that could be seen even on single coaches.

If I wanted to drive Paul mad I could demand a different teak and roof finish on each coach and even different teak finishes on the doors and panelling on a single coach. Of course this would come at an added cost to the commission and increasing asset file sizes shows in a performance penalty. I had toyed at one point of having, like the late great Andi06 a choice of liveries available to each coach or even wagons, but each coach has to drag around the options with it and the penalty builds up when dozens or hundreds of vehicles are applied to trainz when it is running.

Given that I am the one who is paying for the commission I reserve the right to get Paul to produce the coaches finished as I want them to be finished. If you want to tweak them to your preferences then I think Paul has no objections if they are for your personal use. However, if you want to have Paul commission some coaches then please feel free to do so as I still have an immense building schedule to commission. The list includes NER bogie gangway coaches (of which the NER only had around 76 examples), some of the GNR-ECJS coaches, several more diagrams of NER 52ft clerestory roof bogie stock, the 1924 Flying Scotsman set, Gresley 61ft 1920s coaches, Gresley 61ft 1930s end vestibule coaches for principal expresses , the 1938 Flying Scotsman set, the 1939 Saltburn articulated sets, the Thompson 61ft deal boarding BG, the NER bogie Post office van, the ECJS six-wheel vans, several diagrams of GNR stock that are reported as being attached to ECJS or GNR-NEJS services and I will possibly go back to the Thompson-era coaches I commissioned several years ago to upgrade them. There I feel the BR Carmine and Cream will probably benefit from revision to match the BR Mk1 stock on the DLS and the lining detail might be upgraded too.

If I ever get to the end of it I might then consider sleeper coaches for the overnight trains.

Last edited:
Yes, it's quite subjective and I respect your right to have the finished product as you prefer.

I prefer the darker, less orange, finish to the teak texture. I have also tweaked the lettering and used a LNER number font for the 'numberit' user changeable coach numbers, eg '281' in the above pic, the original numberit font as supplied by Paul just doesn't look the part for me! I must say, I've never seen bright red bogie leaf springs in real life though!

They're strictly for my own use and they are very easy to clone and tweak - as above illustrates! It's all part of the fun of Trainz!

Rob.

Last edited:
The View From The Branch Platform - Durham 1914

North East England during the steam era. Circa 1914, the 10:15 a.m. Up Edinburgh Waverley to Kings Cross East Coast Express Passenger service passes Durham and is taking the 1 in 100 grade towards Relly Mill Junction. The speed limit through the station was 25 mph and was a challenge for heavier trains, especially if the rails were wet or greasy. Today a problem at Gateshead shed is evident since a visiting R1 Class 4-4-0 has charge of the train rather than the usual Z or V Class Atlantic. Gateshead has also turned out a veteran 901 Class 2-4-0 to assist the R1 with the climb along the Team Valley towards Durham and can be dispensed with at the Darlington stop.

Where can the "LNER number font" used in Trainz be found?

The numbers can be found in andi06's 'Gresley Liveries' asset. Open the Gresley Liveries in explorer and you will see a file 'number lner.tga' (along with a few other number/text files). One can use the numbers to modify the files in Paulz Trainz 'ECJS_alpha_numbers' folder found in with the folders for his ECJS stock. Not sure about the copyrights etc. but presumably OK for personal use.

If you PM me with your email address I can send you a completed copy of the modified 'ecjs_alpha_numbers' folder.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

Last edited:
ECML Newton Hall Junction 1919

North East England during the steam era. Newton Hall Junction on the ECML, to the northeast of Durham. This is where the ECML and the Sunderland Branch diverge. A Worsdell O Class 0-4-4T brings a local passenger train off the branch and takes the fast line towards Durham. The train is largely made up of 49ft bogie arc roof stock. A six-wheel van has been added at the head of the train and a 52ft bogie clerestory roof Third has been added at the rear. As is a common practise on the NER, the train is "book ended" by Brake Thirds, giving a large amount of space for luggage, mail, parcels and small consignments.

A T2 Class 0-8-0 hauling 20T NER Coal Hoppers comes off the ECML and takes the Sunderland branch for Auckland Junction and the Leamside line.

King Coal at Stella Gill

North East England during the steam era. A bird's eye view of Stella Gill Yard near Chester le Street in County Durham. This yard is the concentration point for coal coming from the former Stanhope & Tyne wagonway via Pelton Fell, along with coal from wagonways serving collieries at Sacriston, Edmonsley, Craghead and Burnhope.

An NER T2 0-8-0 stands at the head of a newly arrived rake of empty hoppers. Rakes of loaded hoppers wait for departure to the east. Some will join the ECML at Ouston Junction, bound for the riverside staithes at Dunston while others will go via Washington to Tyne Dock to the extensive staithes in the docks there.

Nice shots borderreiver!

I have some of Paulz NER carriages as shown in post #269, 2nd shot and I've just noticed that he appears to have used the NER loco coat of arms on the carriages. Picky, I know, but I'll be changing them on my NER carriages!

For the carriage: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0150/lot-fb945f7e-c9ad-4447-9b1d-a5cd00d9c0be

For the loco: http://rcts.zenfolio.com/miscellaneous-and-road-vehicles/coats-of-arms/hA0FEAF11#ha0feaf11

Perhaps they were interchangeable? Depending on what transfers or signwriters were available at the time - I don't know.

Rob.

Last edited:
I will delve in to my copies of the North Eastern Record to see what is revealed.

OK. I've sent you an email, a couple of days ago, with a carriage coat of arms texture attached if you find that you wish to replace Paulz loco coat of arms.

Rob.

Last edited:
Oxhill, Stanley 1922

North East England during the steam era. Oxhill, west of Stanley on the former Stanhope and Tyne route. Here are the exchange sidings with Morrison Busty Colliery. A T Class 0-8-0 has brought a rake of empty coal hoppers up from Tyne Dock via South Pelaw Junction and the deviation line through Beamish. Half the wagons are left behind at South Pelaw, which will necessitate the T Class making a second run between South Pelaw and Oxhill.

Below, the T Class has crossed Oxhill level crossing and approaches the loop where the exchange will be accomplished.

Below, the T Class runs around the empty wagons, taking the V3 brake Van to the western end, so that it will be at the rear of the train on the steep descent to South Pelaw Junction.

Below, one of the colliery locos takes the empty hopper wagons in to the colliery sidings.

Below, the colliery 0-6-0T brings a loaded rake of hoppers out of the colliery exchange sidings.

Below, the T Class prepares to back on to the rake of loaded coal hoppers.

Here, the T Class heads away from Oxhill with the loaded train.

This is on my personal NW Durham route. It remains a work in progress.

The Height of Summer

Northeast England on a blazing summer's day during the age of steam. To the north of Chevington in the summer of 1923 a bystander watches the 9:50 a.m. down express from London King's Cross bound for Edinburgh. Today it is in the hands of a former NBR Atlantic for the leg between Newcastle Central and the Scottish Capital.

1922 The Down 9:50 for Edinburgh at Preston le Skerne loopd

North east England during the steam era. Raven Z Class Atlantic takes the 9:50 a.m. down train from London Kings Cross for Edinburgh past the loops at Preston le Skerne in County Durham. Clerestory stock makes up the train, the first of five day time express passenger trains for the Scottish capital along the East Coast Main Line.

A couple of shots of the carriages.

12-wheel Brake Third

12-wheel Open Third which could proved a second Third Class Dining carriage if demand required.

12-wheel Dining First with kitchen and pantry at the north end, adjoining the first of two Open Thirds.

8-wheel Compartment First with doors placed, unusually for the time, at the coach ends with a vestibule. No doors in the compartments, something Gresley would re-introduce in the 1930s for principal expresses.

8-wheel 46ft6ins Luggage Brake. A Cowlairs NBR product and by 1922 already supplanted by several diagrams of 56ft6in Luggage Brakes as the standard on the East Coast Main Line.

Nice screenshots. :) But I can not seem to find the Paulz Trainz ECJS coaches anywhere on Paulz Trainz,huh. I might have to keep looking I guess.

Hi RailFan500CA - The ECJS coaches are a large ongoing commission I have with Paul and not yet on his site. So far I have had him build all the post-1900 catering coaches, up to and including the 1914 coaches for the 1914 10 a.m. "Scotch Express" service (which would later be named "The Flying Scotsman"). I have the coaches built to fit out both the 9:50 a.m. Kings Cross to Edinburgh and the 10 a.m. Kings Cross to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Perth and Edinburgh. Several more coach diagrams required to fit out the 10:35 a.m. 11:20 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. expresses. It may come as a surprise that the peak summer timetable for the period 1914 - 1922 only had five scheduled day time expresses to Scotland. There were reliefs and duplicates but only five formed the base service. I have been working on better lettering and numbers while experimenting with teak finishes. I am trying to have the older clerestory coaches in a darker finish since due to age they would have been darker (until taken in to works and overhauled, and even then would probably not have returned in "as-new" condition.

1922 Down 10 a.m. Scotch Express near Aycliffe

North East England during the steam era. Pregrouping days in the summer of 1922. In County Durham A Raven Z Class Atlantic hauls the down 10 a.m. Kings Cross to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Perth "Scotch Express". At this time, as later in the LNER era, this train was made up of portions for various cities in Scotland. At the northern head of the train A 58ft6in Diagram 49A 3-compartment Brake Third and 58ft6in Diagram 3A Corridor Composite formed the two coach portion for Glasgow Queen Street. Behind that a 58ft6in Diagram 2A Corridor Composite, 58ft6in Diagram 29A Dining Open Third, 52ft Diagram 80A Kitchen Car and 58ft6in Diagram 75A Dining Open First formed the core to Edinburgh. Behind the catering coaches came the 61ft6in Diagram 2B Corridor Composite Locker for Perth and at the rear the three coach portion for Aberdeen, made up of another Diagram 2A Corridor Composite, a 58ft6in Diagram 31A Corridor Third and the 56ft6in Diagram 39B Luggage Brake. While each of the portions to Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen had luggage space (a locker in the coach for Perth, the van portion of the Brake Third to Glasgow and the 56ft Diagram 39B for Aberdeen) the coaches for Edinburgh did not have dedicated space within the coaches being removed at Edinburgh. I do not have the luggage instructions for the ECJS era but I feel that it is likely that luggage for passengers disembarking the train at Edinburgh would have been assigned to the front or rear half of the Diagram 39B Luggage Brake. With the Aberdeen portion departing onwards for Aberdeen last it would have given the longest period for retrieving baggage. Still it would have been busy, and this system was not perfect. In an article on criminals photographed at the police stations at the close of the 19th century several were convicted of stealing passengers' luggage at Edinburgh Waverley station!

Pictured to the north of Aycliffe station, the Z Class moves from the level to the rising grade of 1:500 towards Preston le Skerne.

The Dia 49A BTK

The Dia 3A Compo

The Dia 29A TO

The all-steel construction RK

The Dia 75A FO

The Dia 2B Compo Locker for Perth

The Dia 39B Luggage Brake

I have yet to commission one further vehicle which was normally added to the head of the train at York for Edinburgh, the N.E.R. Travelling Post Office vehicle, running as empty stock.

Last edited:
Back