spontaneous database repairs with TANE

gremlin1812

G’day, I have had four spontaneous database repairs with TANE now and each time I loose all settings and the repair takes nearly 12 hours with an additional 3 to 4 hours once all settings are restored and TANE re-started. The one thing I noticed was that each time I was working in CM for several hours and the access to the internet was lost internally (within my PC) internet to other devices was not affected.
This internet interruption has ONLY happened while using TANE CM, nothing else has ever caused this to happen and it seems to happen during a lengthy session in CM which may link to this excessive resource usage syndrome.
The database repair starts after restarting TANE following these internal internet dropouts.
Regards
Barrie

Barrie,

It's a known bug. :(

The good news is there are patches in the works which will take care of this sometime soon(tm).

John

G'day John, I hope it takes care of both the spontaneous database repairs and settings loss, as this latest episode is really testing my patience.
It is 3.37am, I could not sleep so I came in to check the progress of the PC (doing the spontaneous database repair) to find TANE had crashed with a nice little message window from windoze telling me that Tane had crashed, so not a happy chappy.
I have restarted the PC and started TANE re-entered my settings as they were gone (as with previous times) and once again it is doing a database repair and updating asset translations simultaneously.It now remains to be seen what happens this time hopefully it will be OK and I will just have to restrict my installing activities (which I should not have too as this was NOT a problem in TS10 or TS12 or for that matter TRS06) hopefully the new patch, when it arrives, will fix this and many other annoyances.
Regards
Barrie

There's a whole lot of BUGS (cock ups) with (spit) tane, that is causing problems for us "lesser" users, sorry if we ain't all got the bloody cash to keep up with the "Joneses", but some of us have a life out side of this bloody sim, I run TS12, now't wrong with it, why should I have to pay for a new Gaphics card (£200) plus other upgrades to my machine (£300) just to run the sim I've already spent upward of £250 to get what I have now?
Especially when it has always had problems, never run smooth & relied on patches that never bloody solve the sodding problem?

There's a whole lot of BUGS (cock ups) with (spit) tane, that is causing problems for us "lesser" users, sorry if we ain't all got the bloody cash to keep up with the "Joneses", but some of us have a life out side of this bloody sim, I run TS12, now't wrong with it, why should I have to pay for a new Gaphics card (£200) plus other upgrades to my machine (£300) just to run the sim I've already spent upward of £250 to get what I have now?
Especially when it has always had problems, never run smooth & relied on patches that never bloody solve the sodding problem?

Kevin,

These crashes having nothing to do with the hardware. It's the code that's all cocked up that's causing the crashes. :)

John

G'day John, all back on track this morning and I will now restrict my installing to shorter sessions to try to avoid this situation until the patch comes along. There a lot of great things in TANE and in its CM (this coming from a original doubter) and with some upgrading via patches we should have a really great sim, already it outperforms the previous trainz and looks a lot better.
Regards
Barrie

G'day John, all back on track this morning and I will now restrict my installing to shorter sessions to try to avoid this situation until the patch comes along. There a lot of great things in TANE and in its CM (this coming from a original doubter) and with some upgrading via patches we should have a really great sim, already it outperforms the previous trainz and looks a lot better.
Regards
Barrie

I agree. There's lots of good stuff here. So much potential once the nitty-gritties get worked out. That's the reason why I joined the Trainz Dev forum. I'm neither a programmer nor a content creator and instead like many of us a bigtime user and want to see us get the best we can out of this program. As a tester I subject my content, a copy of it all of course, to some tests that would make many a Trainzer wince with the crashes. The more I've tested, the better things have become. This is by far the most stable, but like anything fresh out of the laboratory, there are other issues as well. So we now have a stable build, but other bugs have been introduced. :) I liken the process to beer tasting...

John

:(
G’day, I have had four spontaneous database repairs with TANE now and each time I loose all settings and the repair takes nearly 12 hours with an additional 3 to 4 hours once all settings are restored and TANE re-started. The one thing I noticed was that each time I was working in CM for several hours and the access to the internet was lost internally (within my PC) internet to other devices was not affected.
This internet interruption has ONLY happened while using TANE CM, nothing else has ever caused this to happen and it seems to happen during a lengthy session in CM which may link to this excessive resource usage syndrome.
The database repair starts after restarting TANE following these internal internet dropouts.
Regards
Barrie

Got the same damn problem, and it's driving me nuts as well, although in my case the repairs always seem to start just after boot up.

macwilly

Are you referring to the headache after? :)

Chris

That and the fact that many of the test builds were like bad batches that were not quite ready for consumption! :D

:(

Got the same damn problem, and it's driving me nuts as well, although in my case the repairs always seem to start just after boot up.

macwilly

Yup. It's known as I said and hopefully a patch will be issued at some point to resolve this once and for all. As I said, the test build fixed the problem.

Now for the caveat:

These are test builds. Test builds contain features, and bugs too, that may or may never see their light of day on the commercial release, may appear far in the future. These test builds are meant to test new ideas, features, and bug fixes. If there is anything that is going to be released as a patch or service pack, the software will need to go through additional testing to ensure it is fit for human consumption, and what we are testing may never be included in the patch.

John

Hi all --
I'm having a similar problem -- the program does a database repair/asset check about every other time I start T:ANE. I have done the hotfix 2 so I am up to build 78667, but it still does this. The problem is that every time it does that, I lose some assets from my routes -- splines appearing as blank track, big white rectangles where texture has been dropped, and empty spaces where there were buildings. So I spend several hours repairing the route, only to have to do it again the next database repair. This is happening on a route created entirely in T:ANE, not imported from either the DLS or my TS 2010.

Not sure what's going on -- why is T:ANE suddenly unhappy with assets it was OK with a couple of weeks ago? And what can I do about this, if anything?

Tom

G'day Tom, I have found that when you close down TANE, tane.exe sometimes continues to run for some time (like taddamon did) you need to use task manager to verify that tane.exe has shut down (do not force it to close, just wait for it to close) before shutting down your PC or you get DBR next time you start TANE.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Barrie

Ooops, just shut down for the night before reading this. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens, many thanks.
Cheers,
Tom

Oh, and it keeps adding a new autosave route every time it saves, instead of overwriting, so I end up deleting a dozen or so autosavew routes every day. Any thoughts?

Ooops, just shut down for the night before reading this. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens, many thanks.
Cheers,
Tom

Oh, and it keeps adding a new autosave route every time it saves, instead of overwriting, so I end up deleting a dozen or so autosavew routes every day. Any thoughts?

Go into the settings in Trainz, where you set the draw distance, and other stuff, and you can turn off the autosave or change the time interval.

Back