Need a good name for a fictional railroad

I made a fictional shortline called the Bramwell Southern. However, I decided to rename it Bramwell And Southern, because the initials for Bramwell Southern is, well, B.S. If someone asks an employee "What railroad you work for?", the employee would say "I work for B.S.". The inquirer would then reply "You work for Bull S***??" Since adding 'And' to our name, we no longer have that problem.

So far, I've got a lot of the steam roster done:

Steam Locomotives (1939)
2-8-8-8-2 P1 (3) - 1 fitted with Russia Iron boiler-jacket -- In the shops (to be repainted)
2-10-10-2 P2 (5) – 2 fitted with Russia Iron boiler-jacket -- In the shops (to be repainted)
2-8-8-2 R1 (20) – USRA design – “flying pumps” -- In the shops (to be repainted)
2-6-6-2 N1 (25) – USRA design – “flying pumps” -- In the shops (to be repainted)
4-6-6-4 Z1 (10) - Similar to the UP CSA challengers -- Done
4-10-2 Q1 (30) – Entire Class fitted with Russia Iron boiler-jacket -- Done
2-8-4 A1 (45) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted above smoke box -- In the shops (to be repainted)
2-8-4 A2 (40) – No Elesco feedwater heater above smoke box -- In progress
0-6-0 S1 (15) – Camelback – Used for switching in NY and Buffalo -- Done
0-6-0 S2 (30) – Regular cab -- Done
0-8-0 Q1 (35) – Large switcher, USRA design -- Done
2-8-0 B1 (75) – Standard freight engine until delivery of 4-8-2s and 2-8-4s -- Done
2-8-2 C1 (80) – USRA design -- Done
4-8-2 M1 (65) – USRA design -- Done
4-6-2 E1 (30) – USRA design -- Done
4-6-2 E2 (45) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted over smoke box -- Done
2-10-2 T1 (40) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted over smoke box -- In the shops (need to get locomotive)
2-10-4 F1 (35) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted over smoke box -- Done
4-8-4 S1 (20) – Based off of Reading T1 design -- In the shops (to be repainted)
4-8-4 S2 (6) – Streamlined locomotive, used to haul the top three streamliners -- Done

In my absence, I have started whipping up consists for LE&E passenger trains, focusing on two main time periods: late 30's and late 50's.

Here's what I've got so far:

Name Train Consists C. August 1939

The Clipper
EMC EA
EMC EB
Power Car/RPO
Baggage Chair
Coach
Coach
Coach
Articulated Coach (pt1)
Articulated Lounge (pt2)
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
Chair
Chair
Chair
Parlor
Parlor
Parlor Obs

The Arrow
Streamlined 4-8-4
PS Baggage Lounge
PS18 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
PS105 Sleeper
PS105 Sleeper
PS664 Sleeper
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
Lounge
PS664 Sleeper
PS664 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
POS21a Lounge Obs

The Midnight Limited
Streamlined 4-8-4
PS Baggage Lounge
PS18 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
PS664 Sleeper
PS664 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
Lounge
PS442 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
POS21a Lounge Obs

Trans Atlantic Limited
4-6-4 Hudson
Heavyweight baggage
Heavyweight baggage
Heavyweight RPO
PS Baggage Lounge
Coach
Coach
Chair
Chair
Parlor
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
Lounge
PS18 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
Heavyweight Modernized 12-1 Sleeper
PS105 Sleeper
POS21a Observation

The Queen City Express
4-6-4 Hudson
PS RPO
PS Baggage Lounge
Coach
Chair
Chair
Parlor
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
Lounge
PS18 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
PS105
PS442
POS21 Flat End obs

LE&E Streamliners C. 1958

The Arrow/Clipper
EMD EA
EMD EB
EMD EB
EMD EA
Power Car/RPO
PS RPO
PS RPO (From NY)
Heavyweight RPO (To Cincy)
PS Baggage
PS Baggage (From NY)
PS Baggage Lounge
PS18 Sleeper (To L&A at Cincinnati)
PS18 Sleeper (To CP&A at Pittsburgh)
Coach (From NY)
Coach (To Cincy)
Coach
Chair
Parlor
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
PS Strata-Dome
PSO21 Flat End Obs (added at Elmira (from NY) and at Ft. Wayne (to Cincy))
PS18 Sleeper (To Cincy)
PS18 Sleeper (From NY)
PS442 Sleeper
PS106 Sleeper
POS21a Obs

Midnight Limited
EMC EA
EMC EB
PS Baggage Lounge
PS106 Sleeper
PS106 Sleeper
PS106 Sleeper
PS664 Sleeper
PS105 Sleeper
PS18 Sleeper
Kitchen Dorm
Full Diner
Lounge
PS18 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
PS442 Sleeper
POS21a Lounge Obs

Good to see LE&E servicing Cincinnati with the Queen City Express.

The L&A will have 3 named trains rolling through Cincy. The Hustlin Hillbilly from Montgomery Alabama, The Moonlight Limited from Atlanta Georgia, and The Pim from Charleston South Carolina.

What are some good names for towns and industries? I always have a "Johnson such-and-such" industry on my routes.

It depends upon the era, and one of the things that really helps is developing a backstory, such as Jackson and Thai1On have done. This helps nail the region, the cities and towns, the kind of traffic, and the industries.

If you have big textile mills for example, then you can have companies such as American Woolen Products, S.A. Fletcher Textiles Company, which of course would be in Fletcher or some variant of that name. When choosing town names, I look at a map and pick the ones I like. One town on my own fictional regional route is Radford. Radford is named after a warehouse company I dealt with in my olden days in logistics. I liked the name and kept it.

John

Another part of the LE&E is the interurban lines that it was affiliated with. In 1901, the Great Lakes and Western railway was founded and began laying tracks between Cleveland and Toledo. By 1917, the company had been reorganized and renamed the Cleveland and Erie Electric Railway. The C&E soon grew to become akin to a rapid transit system for Toledo, Cleveland, Akron, and Canton. In 1926, the LE&E purchased the C&E and kept it as a subsidiary. Starting in 1930, all new passenger equipment would be delevered with "LE&E System" sub-lettering. In 1935, the C&E bought new electric cars for express service to supplement the older Stillwell cars on it's roster. All newer freight motors would keep the C&E name until after the war. Through the war, the C&E, as well as it's parallel competitor, the Erie and Southhwestern Railroad, were vital links in the northeastern rail network, with both serving many ports and both being heavy commuter lines. After the war, the C&E started to show it's age. The line which had been built to a high standard had been worn down by the high traffic loads during the war. In addition, the bankruptcy and abandonment of many of it's important connections (the Cincinnati and Lake Erie ry and the Lake Shore Electric Railway) hurt it's ability to compete in future markets. A rehabilitation effort conducted by the LE&E in 1947 updated much of the line, but it's success was limited by the older equipment operating over the line: the original Stillwell cars were limited to 55 mph, and the newer cars bought in the 30's were capped at 65 mph. In 1955, the LE&E bought the E&SW because it was in better shape and it offered a shorter route than the C&E. By 1960, most of the original C&E, sans terminals and key interchanges, was either spun off as the Great Lakes Electric Railway, or abandoned in favor of the superior E&SW line.

The C&E (in 1939) operates two systems. First off is their streetcar system where the bulk of their fleet is made up of wooden cars built in the 1920's. The design of these cars was influenced by the Ohio Electric Railway's design, but because of the tight turns in it's streetcar systems, they were made about half the length as their more well known counterparts. The other part of the system that they operate is an inter-city electric system using a mix of electrified Stillwell coaches, Electrified full-size heavyweights (similar to cars that the IC's electrified section in Chicago operated), LE&E owned and operated EMUs, and long distance trains made up of conventional heavyweight cars. The bulk of the motive power on these trains is either P-1a Boxcabs (part of the same order as the CUT motors) or New Haven built P-2 electrics. As for freight traffic, that aspect straddles both systems. The C&E uses a number of smaller box motors to haul freight because of their small wheelbase which allows them to negotiate the tight curves in the city. Because of this, the C&E has many freight houses in the middle of cities which is not only more convenient for producers, but also allows for the quick turnaround of freight. In the mid-30's because of increased train lengths, the LE&E/C&E ripped out the "box" portion of the box motors and made the engines MUCH more powerful, however the C&E kept a few unmodified box motors around for local trains and such.

The problem arose early on (late 20's, right after the takeover of the C&E by the LE&E) that the LE&E trains would diminish the revenue from the C&E trains and vice-versa between many of the northern ohio cities that both railroads served (between Erie and Cleveland both railroads somewhat paralleled each other, and both served Akron/Canton). To resolve this problem, the LE&E started co-ordinating with the C&E on commuter services (the C&E didn't have as much of a long distance market, with it's longest run being from Erie-Akron) in an arrangement where the LE&E would handle the morning and weekend rush, and the C&E would handle the evening rush and the holiday excess. This is not to say that both roads didn't run commuter services at the same time, but the C&E put less effort on the morning rush hour and vice versa with the LE&E. This allowed for more time to service the cars of the respective roads and it also required less manpower at a certain time of the day.

The Erie and Southwestern (as of 1939) predominantly runs third rail electrification (with catenary in cities), and like the C&E, runs a substantial streetcar network. Their streetcar fleet is mostly comprised of small cars built by the Cincinnati Car Co and PCC cars. Freight service is held down by a handful of Baldwin steeplecabs and a few box motors. For long distance and intercity trains, the E&SW mostly uses cars that are identical in every way to the DL&W MU cars with the exceptions of having third rail shoes on the trucks and trolley poles instead of pantographs. To supplement these cars, they also use round topped electrified baggage and coaches (essentially the same as the PE "blimp" cars, but with third rail shoes) and 1929 built PS coaches (similar to the CSS&SB cars, but also with third rail shoes).

As far as joint LE&E-C&E operations go, the LE&E uses the C&E to bypass the railyards in the cities they mutually serve. The fast overnight freight service is also used to shuttle select LCL and hotshot freights across Ohio. The LE&E also uses portions of C&E streetcar tracks to reach certain yards, such as Alexandria, Ohio (fictional route), where the LE&E runs freight trains right down the center of 7th Avenue to reach it's bayside freight yard. Such operations allow the LE&E to bypass mazes of tracks and shorten travel times.

Last edited:
Wow that idea for a joint interurban sounds really cool. I wonder if anyone has ever made a freight trolley.
19501010.C15.CenterValleyCut.LVT.0001.jpg

The passenger train consolidations and such are based on the challenges that the NYC and PRR faced once they realized that not only were passenger trains not profitable, but they were losing the railroads a LOT of money.

The actual backstory isn't really based on any particular railroad. Here is some earlier backstory.

The mainline of the LE&W faced challenging grades in central Pennsylvania and northeastern New York/southern Massachusetts. Early attempts to meet the challenges of the massive grades, upwards of 2.5% in some areas, the railroad housed massive locomotives: 20 class R2 2-8-8-2 and 25 class R1 2-6-6-2 mallets were used as regular pushers on these lines, and mainline engines included 2-10-2 class T1, 2-10-4 class F1, and 4-10-2 class Q1 locomotives. To top off this powerful roster, the railroad housed 3 class P1 2-8-8-8-2 triplexes (ordered from Baldwin after the Erie received theirs) and 5 class P2 2-10-10-2 mallet locomotives to assist trains. On lines west of Cleveland, the railroad ran 2-8-4 Berkshires, of which it owned 85 (Class A1 based on the original Lima design and class A2 based on the Van Sweringen design) and 4-8-2 Mountains, of which it owned 65. The lines west, the railroad focused on fast freight, and of the scheduled freights, there were four dedicated LCL freights each way and six perishable trains each way. Many of these symbol priority freights ran in multiple sections. In addition to the Mountains and Berks, 2-8-0s and 2-8-2s rounded out the available mainline freight motive power. For passenger service, the railroad owned 75 4-6-2 Pacifics (class E1, based on a USRA design received during WWI, and class E2, defined by a large Elesco feedwater heater mounted above the smokebox). On the mountain divisions, the railroad utilized 4-10-2 Southern Pacific types, which were enough to haul most scheduled passenger runs without the need for helpers. In the late superpower era, the LE&E received two classes of 4-8-4 locomotives: class S1, which looked similar to the postwar Reading T-1s of which the railroad owned 20, and class S2, received with a streamlined shroud in 1939 to haul the top passenger runs of the road.
An electrification project on the railroad's grades in central Pennsylvania was started in 1920s soon as the railroad was turned loose of USRA control. By 1925, just shy of 100 miles of electrified railroad were operated by the LE&E. Three unit sets of jackshaft electrics assisted heavy freight trains over the steep mountain grades in that division. The railroad was happy to double-head steam locomotives over this division, as this practice took less time, and therefore kept the trains on schedule. Later on, in the mid 30's, the New Haven worked with the LE&E to design and order newer and more efficient electrics. The jackshafts would then on be relegated to coal-hauling service on a further 28 miles of branchline connecting the railroad to coal tipples.

Locomotive rosters:

Steam Locomotives (1939)
2-8-8-8-2 P1 (3) - 1 fitted with Russia Iron boiler-jacket
2-10-10-2 P2 (5) – 2 fitted with Russia Iron boiler-jacket
2-8-8-2 R1 (20) – USRA design – “flying pumps”
2-6-6-2 N1 (25) – USRA design – “flying pumps”
4-10-2 Q1 (30) – Entire Class fitted with Russia Iron boiler-jacket
2-8-4 A1 (45) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted above smoke box
2-8-4 A2 (40) – No Elesco feedwater heater above smoke box
0-6-0 S1 (15) – Camelback – Used for switching in NY and Buffalo
0-6-0 S2 (30) – Regular cab
0-8-0 Q1 (35) – Large switcher, USRA design
2-8-0 B1 (75) – Standard freight engine until delivery of 4-8-2s and 2-8-4s
2-8-2 C1 (80) – USRA design
4-8-2 M1 (65) – USRA design
4-6-2 E1 (30) – USRA design
4-6-2 E2 (45) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted over smoke box
2-10-2 T1 (40) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted over smoke box
2-10-4 F1 (35) – Elesco feedwater heater mounted over smoke box
4-8-4 S1 (20) – Based off of Reading T1 design
4-8-4 S2 (6) – Streamlined locomotive, used to haul the top three streamliners

Diesel Locomotives (1948)
Alco DL109 (15 A units)
Alco PA/PB (15 A units, 5 B units)
Alco FA/FB (40 A units, 40 B units)
Alco RS1 (8)
Alco RS2 (15)
Alco S2 (20)
EMD E7 (21 A units, 7 B units)
EMD F3 (40 A units, 40 B units)
EMD FT (25 A units, 25 B units)
EMD BL2 (10)
Baldwin Centipede (6 A units)
Baldwin DR-4-4-15 (10 A units, 5 B units)
Baldwin DR-6-4-1500 (10 A units, 5 B units)
NW2 (20)
SW1 (15)
FM Erie Built (12 A units, 4 B units)
FM H-10-44 (35)

· The diesel switchers and the BL2s displaced most of the steam switchers, sending them to the dead lines.
· The DL109s, PA/PBs, Centipedes, and E7s bumped the 4-10-2s and 4-6-2s from mainline passenger service. The 4-10-2s would be transferred to freight service, and the 4-6-2 fleet would be downsized. The surviving 4-6-2s would haul commuter trains. With the arrival of RDCs in later years, the Pacific-hauled commuter trains would be phased out.
· The RS1s, RS2s, H-16-44s, and subsequent road switchers would displace the 2-8-0 fleet, which would be downsized.
· The EMD, FM, Baldwin, and Alco freight cab units necessitated the removal of much of the mainline steam locomotives. The first to go would be the 2-8-2s and the older 2-8-4s. With the arrival of F7s and FA2s in 1950, the 4-8-2 fleet would be downsized as well.
· The railroad would not be fully dieselized until 1957.

Just thought I'd give you a shout out... http://bartokassualtdude94.devianta...barno-580699951?ga_submit_new=10%3A1451279897

Copy TS 2009 save files to TS 2010 engineers edition

Hi,

I got a question regarding my save game which i had on my TS2009, then i brought TS2010 engineers edition and i wanted to copy my old created world in the surveyor to the TS 2010 but i couldnt find it.
Can someone please help?

Kind Regards,

Simon

Back