Having an asset automatically named when placed in Surveyor

paulper

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to achieve this? For example, I've noticed some signals that I use are named automatically according to the asset name, whilst others are left blank so you have to manually name them. Why is this and how do you achieve automatic naming?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul

The ones that do name themselves are scripted and often provide a name which is quite long winded and rather user unfriendly so I have to rename them anyway. The ones that are blank tend to be unscripted and so have to have a name entered manually. This is all quite frustrating to me as I like to use brummfondels path rule and driver commands which require every signal along a path to be named.

Obviously signals can be named automatically but, if they were, I would hope that something simple and easily usable could be used like S0001, S0002 etc. as I find the length of the automatic junction names that are used a real problem in some areas such as King's Cross station throat. There are so many of them close together there that it is extremely difficult to work out which name applies to which junction so I tend to rename all the junctions in such areas to J0001, J0002 etc. to make things clearer and easier to use.

As my scripting ability is almost zero I don't know if it would be possible to write a script that could be run in Surveyor on an existing route just once to automatically name/rename all signals on it with a unique name. It would save me a tremendous amount of time if it could be done with routes such as the ECML where some signals are named, some are not and others have duplicate names.

Regards

Brian

The only way to have objects automatically named is to add the tag 'autoname 1' to config.txt. The game then creates a name by adding a serial number to the asset username.

This can only be altered manually, there is no script access to the object's name.

Hi andi06

Thank you for that information. After adding that tag, are the signals named when added in Surveyor or would signals already on a route such as the ECML be automatically named as well?

Regards

Brian

OK andi06

I'll try it on one of my own small demo routes first before trying the thousands of signals on the ECML. Thank you for your help.

Regards

Brian

Back