Zec to update DLS status - Friday, July 01, 2011

aardvark1

Senior Citizen Member
For those who missed this post by Zec Murphy in a closed thread.....

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=821198&postcount=21

Hi All
As has been outlined a few times this week, we have been working this week to improve the servers.

We will have further news on this by Friday, however we are already seeing improvements to the servers at the moment.

However, simply saying "get more servers" is not going to see some beautiful multi thousand dollar servers (yep, servers are expensive!) suddenly appear at the server farms.

It takes time for the server to actually arrive, and then have it setup, then actually set the site up on them... Then testing, and tweaking, to ensure that they are running satisfactorily.

At a minimum, we should already be seeing an increase in stability for the First Class server, as well as the 'planet auran' website system in general.

Of course, anyone wish issues with the DLS is free to contact the helpdesk as well. We do hope that anyone who does experience issues with accessing the DLS with a FCT does contact us via the helpdesk, so we can check if there are issues with your account's permissions.

As to people who are 'leaving' the community, this really happens all the time. Just some people are more public, playing the 'drama queen' as it were, when leaving whilst others choose to move on quietly. It is unfortunate that some have found that they no longer wish to be a part of the Trainz community, however that is their choice, and they are free to make it.

We do take this very seriously, however it's not just a case of saying "we need new servers" and they suddenly appear. It does take time, and sometimes it's not possible to give an update on the status every day. However, just over a week between updates (last Wednesday, till Friday when we plan to give a full update in the situation) is pretty good. And we have made regular statements via other threads on the forums.

Customer Support Rep
N3V Games (Auran)

Also, Windwalkr (Chris) has posted this in the same closed thread.....

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=821433&postcount=38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBarb
Yeah, well, how about spending some of these riches on the improvement of the DLS?

We're doing just that. Since the server load troubles have begun, we've done all of the following:

* Upgraded our existing server hardware.
* Purchased additional new server hardware.
* Hired a full-time experienced sysadmin (previously we couldn't afford to have somebody dedicated to this role.)
* Spent engineering time on tuning both the server software and Trainz's handling of various types of possible download faults.
* Planned and begun implementing larger-scale improvements designed to address long-term load.

Most of these don't pay off immediately. Anything that involves new people means finding suitable talent and training it up; anything that involves software updates means plenty of testing and then waiting for those updates to reach the hands of significant numbers of users; etc.

That's not to excuse the position that we're in regarding the DLS. As I've admitted before, we were caught without a good strategy for handling this kind of load. That's the risk of running without an experienced sysadmin for any length of time, but there was only so much we could do while the company was going through the hard patch. Now that we've recovered from that, it takes time to get everything back on track but you can be sure that's exactly what we're working on.

Judging by the complaints one reads here in these forums, the complaints about the DLS by far outweigh anything else people complain about here. That alone should give the powers that be some food for thoughts.
There's not a lot to think about. We're aware that it's a serious problem and are actively working on improving it.

cheers,

chris

So, please wait for the update from Zec before continuing to voice negative comments about the DLS. N3V is working to fix it.

Regards,

Well, I have a complaint, once they fix it we'll have to find something NEW to complain about, do you have any idea how much WORK it is to think up new things to gripe about all the time?! :hehe:

Ish....

No problem. These 2 posts are buried in a 'dead thread' and may be overlooked by many.

Regards,
Ron

Ish....

No problem. These 2 posts are buried in a 'dead thread' and may be overlooked by many.

Regards,
Ron

I am surprise that it's not an sticky or at least a temporarily sticky!

As you can tell, Ron, I visit the forum daily, and yet I missed such posts!

Thanks again
Ish

For those who missed this post by Zec Murphy in a closed thread.....

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=821198&postcount=21

Also, Windwalkr (Chris) has posted this in the same closed thread.....

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=821433&postcount=38

So, please wait for the update from Zec before continuing to voice negative comments about the DLS. N3V is working to fix it.

Regards,

A complaint by its very nature IS negative, hence.... How else is AURAN/N3V to know there are problems if these are not posted somewhere.

Please DO NOT mention the Helpdesk is the place to report such complaints. One of my posts to it (unrelated to DLS issues) on the 8th of March has ONLY recently been upgraded to "Under investigation by AURAN...". Not good enough I say, when one has to wait nigh on FOUR MONTHS for any answer so far and guess what?

I AM STILL WAITING for an answer!

Especial when I tried to draw attention to this issue I am having (not DLS related) and reported to the HelpDesk with several posts here already to whoever from AURAN/N3V might by chance reading this.

So, if people whinge and whine about me or others posting here re a complaint, tell me/us then WHERE to post such complaints/issues to get AT THE VERY LEAST AN ANSWER. As the HelpDesk seems to be NOT the place to post complaints, as one can clearly see by my example.

VinnyBarb

I should have added that at least now AURAN/N3V is addressing the DLS issues, which is admirable and good. New servers and more personnel is the answer as Chris (Windwalkr) pointed out.

Good one AURAN/N3V :wave:.

See, a positive post :p.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

In my opinion , it is the same old news , those that need to get
the information will not read your post , those that already understand it .
will read it !!

Thanks for the update Zec ! --- ,DLR

Hi All
Just to clear this up, the update will be via the newsletter. I didn't actually specify how we would release the status update/news in my original post, however in this case it will be via the newsletter, since this reaches a much larger audience.

Nice post aardvark... in looking to be helpful... with the green arrow call out and all.

It's a shame users do not apply common sense by checking out Announcements and associated stickies in the DLS, FCT Forum.

There is an openly admitted attitude of an increased level of whining and caustic remarks on the Forum will actually speed up IT issue resolutions. I personally can't fathom that misguided logic, but each to their own I guess :confused:

Nice post aardvark... in looking to be helpful... with the green arrow call out and all.

It's a shame users do not apply common sense by checking out Announcements and associated stickies in the DLS, FCT Forum.

There is an openly admitted attitude of an increased level of whining and caustic remarks on the Forum will actually speed up IT issue resolutions. I personally can't fathom that misguided logic, but each to their own I guess :confused:

Excellent post, Ron. This is the old community I remember.

@Forest Runner. Isn't this always the way!

John

I think complaining can work both ways, yes if people complain enough something will get sorted then again if people complain too much that would put off would be purchasers.

When people complain they get unhappy and upset so they tend to get a bit rude cause their angry and in turn people see the complainer moaning they get upset and they start to get a bit rude.

I don't know why but for some reason I got upset then started saying some silly nonsense about Australian men which was just weird but it looks like it was me who caused the thread to close in which I'm sorry and quite embarrassed.

I just think certain things should be in the right place there is a DLC thread is where people can complain and I do think people have a right to complain but should be in the right places.

Thanks Ron,
I never would have seen these otherwise as I never read the complaints section of the forum (DLS/FCT), assuming this is where they are from. :wave:

Hi Dean,

Actually, they were made in a ...."moving on" thread that turned into a rant thread, etc, etc.

I just felt that these posts by Zec and Windwalkr would have been missed by many here on the forums.

Regards,
Ron

Back