Young People And Railways (how old are you?)

I am 13, turning 14 very soon. I grew up with trains since I was 3. No one in my family had a railroad job. I plan to change all that.:)

And definitely not like this as well. I promise I've calmed down. I don't actually worship the devil and I'm a high functioning sociopath, not psychopath.

Since I've recently found this thread, I'll post something.
For me, well I'm 19, and my life with Trains have always been with the Union Pacific Railway company since I was about 4-5. Used to live in a house that was from viewing distance from the East entrance/Exit of the local railyard here. It was the early 2000's, so I got to see things like C40-8W's, SD70M's all the time, good old SD40-2's, and my favorite patched and unpatched CNW AC4400CW's and Dash 9s... Saw a few good ole, SD60's, and even a few tunnel motors including Rio-Grande from that time. I would also get to go out and venture further east on the line and get to experience the awesome crews that run it everyday. They waved at me, gave me hornshows, and always put a smile on my face. It is because of those guys I'm even into Trains. It is because of them, that the Union Pacific Railway company lives in my blood.
In 2004, I got TRS 2004 for my PC, and it was the most awesome thing ever. I'd play it for hours. I wasn't anything close to aware of content nor this forum at that time, so most of my works then went noticed, but I didn't care, I was running my own railway... Later, walking through a Staples store, I found TRS 2006, at which I got and was amazed once more. I would play hours on the Marais Pass Approach route. In 2011, I got TRS 2010 and was again amazed by the hours of fun I could have. It would be then that I would discover content, and places like JR where I could get things. My last one was TRS 2012 at which has brought many many hours of enjoyment.

Kentucky Railway Museum. 152 was the first locomotive I ever rode behind (when I was somewhere around 3). Papaw said he never will forget that trip either cause he put the window down and leaned out to look at something we passed and got a face full of coal smoke. :hehe: But that's been about 12 or 13 years ago now. We like to go as a family down to Big South Fork Scenic Railway in Stearns, Ky, and ride the trip there. For anybody that hasn't been, that's a good trip.
Come to think of it, my great grandfather worked for the L&N on a track crew. They would walk the ties for miles every day checking for anything wrong, back in the 20's and 30's.

Last edited:
I am 15 years old and love steam, I talk about steam trains, steamboats and lighthouses ALL the time
my first train ride was with my Aunt when I was 2, behind and. Greenbay Western SW switcher at the National Railway Museum near her house in Depier. I love the Colorado Narrow Gauge, I have now ridden the C&TS twice (standard class coach, and 1st class car right behind the engine), the Durango and Silverton 4 times (in every service class, 3rd in coaches 334 and 336, First Class in the 630 Prospector and Presidential in the B-7 General Palmer), the Georgetown Loop, Steamtown to Moscow, PA with 3254( could have been better, rode CNJ combine 303), Orange Blossm Cannonball (in the 1918 caboose cupola), Limberjack Special at Laona (in the caboose cupola), Missionary Ridge Local (in the 1000 coach, in 630, on top the 630's tender), TVRM's Chickamauga Turn in the Eden Isle 98, The NKP 765, Flagg Coal 75 and Rion, SC and at Owosso, MI , Heber Valley RR, and several other railroad rides! I agree that we need to pass is on to another generation with e older generation that remembers steam aging, eventually they will not be able to labor away to operate these iron horses, the younger and middle age generations must step forward and keep these truly remarkable works of art (the closest thing man has ever made to a human) alive and breathing. We need more narrow gauge in Trainz as well as Mainline Steam to show the younger generation how it can be fun on what they enjoy-computers, show the awesome narrow gauge scenery and the roaring speed of the 844 or the 611 or the power of the 3985 or 2816 as they thunder down the mainline.

Saturnr
Jacob

Last edited:
When I was little, going to see Thomas at strasburg and riding Septa a lot made me love trains so much. There is a Septa grade crossing and CSX bridges near my house, which also is near where Route 52 ended. (traction stuff)

I was a Thomas addict in my single digits, my family went to see him at Greenfield Village. Now the Allegheny and the Edison are my loves.

I'll be completely honest, and I didn't even really think about it until I found this thread, I don't have an interest in railways as much as I do with engineering and technology, and a fascination with how things work. My interest in railways is a product of my grandfathers hobby and spending a lot of time with my grandparents as a child. I can't think back to a time when I wasn't drawing locomotives and layout plans, or burying myself in model railway magazine after magazine.

I turn 30 this year, and looking back at the younger generations that I was around at model railway clubs and exhibitions I have developed an appreciation for these kids. Many of them socially awkward and some suffering from handicaps, but all very gifted and intelligent children. These are kids who value building and creating over kicking a football and going for a surf. Many of them are going to be the people who keep the world turning - building homes, maintaining road and rail infrastructure, designing physics defying structures that bridge unfathomable gaps.

I am 27 and have been into railways all my life I am of mixed race / dual heritage which I think makes me quite the exception in many laces I've been to, my father and grandfather both work/ worked on the railways and I have after working on them for 9 years since I was 18 recently become a driver I have been an admirer/ user of trainz for many years and I am amazed by its capabilities now compared with the 1st version which I still have.
i have travelled over much of Europe in my time and been lucky to witness real working steam in Poland as well as enjoying the delights of some US steam at Cass and the Western Maryland senic.
Though I am not old enough to have seen real working steam I am a complete steam buff.
after seeing the creations of zec I am addicted to Victorian railways (that's the state not the era).
I would be inclined to believe trainz has done much to encourage younger people into this hobby pastime due to its ease of use and massive amount of content long may it continue.

I been into trains for most of my life got my first trainset at 5 years old and its gone up form there I got to work at VIA for a few weeks on a job placement about 5 years ago then after that I joined the model railroad club I built 2 4x8 layouts in my teen years and 1 n scale they want very good but they worked. all to gather I build 7 layouts in N & HO. I own mostly steam locos and I love to build in trainz more then driving anything its rear to see me driving at all I'm mostly hands on making stuff for my map I'm in my early XXXs now so you do the math.
If its train related i'll be there.
( I'm really 900 years old )

For me, it's always been the #1 Blue Tank Engine, Thomas. I watched Season 1, Season 5, and Season 8 when I was 5 (most of it was on VHS mind you!), and thought how realistic the show was. I always loved collecting the TOMY Thomas stuff, some of which I still have to this day in near mint condition surprisingly. When I first began to watch youtube back in the late summer of 2009, I was surprised to learn of Trainz Simulator, and when I saw the SI3D content of the time, I was so overjoyed. I've been to the Model Railroad Club to see the trains each summer, both at the 4H building, and the other place that the Train club people own downtown. Life just wouldn't be the same without both Thomas the Tanke Engine, and Trainz Simulator. Even now, I still have a huge soft spot for Thomas and Friends as most here know, and making models from the TV show I enjoyed as a kid, and still do today makes my day. :)

Back