Yorkshire parts 1 to 8

alantaylor61

I am sorry to be a pain but would anyone know if there is a sequence of joining these 8 boards together have tried to join 1&2 but 2 is much lower than 1 and cant join the tracks Thanks for any help you might give

Hi
I have found the original instructions that someone supplied way back in time and I have attached them below. I remember joining all my eight parts successfully but that was back in the good old TS2004 days so I can't supply any further info.

"MERGING THE YORKSHIRE LAYOUTS

BEFORE BEGINNING
You're probably familiar with how to merge maps in Surveyor, but just in case, here's a little refresher.
MERGING LAYOUTS
From the Surveyor Main Screen, select the map on to which you wish to add another layout.
Once this map has loaded, from the Surveyor drop down menu (top left) select Merge Route.
You'll then be presented with a list of layouts.
Select the layout you wish to add to the layout on th main screen. Click on the green arrow.
You'll now be presented with another screen, showing both layouts.
If some of the boards are highlighted in RED, they may have to be deleted (see below).
Otherwise use the little direction arrows to move your second layout around until it is in the right place to merge.
Click on the green arrow, if it looks right.
TRS will now merge the 2 layouts together.
The merged layouts can now be saved.

DELETING BOARDS
From the Surveyor Main Menu, select the TOPOGRAPHY tag.
In Topography, select "ADVANCED"
From the Surveyor drop down menu, select "Mini Map"
Locate the boards you wish to delete using the Mini Map.
Once you have confirmed this, click on the "Delete" button (top right, "Advanced")
TRS will ask you to confirm deletion.
Click on the green arrow if you are happy with the selection.
The selected board will be deleted.
NOTE that this deletion will not become permanent until you save on exit from Surveyor.

TO MERGE THE YORKSHIRE LAYOUTS.

DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE ALTERED LAYOUT UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME AS YOU GO, SO THAT IF THERE IS A PROBLEM, IT WON'T AFFECT THE ORIGINAL.

MERGING PART 1 TO PART 2
From Part 1, delete the LAST 5 boards

(using the minimap, the board showing Spittal House Farm is the last board to delete).

Part 2 should then just fall into place.

MERGING PART 2 TO PART 3
From Part 3, Delete the FIRST 6 boards.
These are the boards that contain Darlington station,as well as the incoming double track just before Darlington.
Part 3 should then fit cleanly onto Part 2.

MERGING PART 3 TO PART 4
From Part 3, delete the LAST 5 boards.
These are the boards that contain Durham station.
Look for the boards that show "Nevilles Cross/Arvour House".
Part 4 should fit onto part 3 easily.

MERGING PART 5 TO PART 4
From Part 5 delete the FIRST 2 boards.
These are the ones that contain Gateshead Stadium station.
Part 5 will then fit cleanly onto Part 4.
The bottom end of Part 5 requires no alteration and will fit in place as is.

MERGING PART 6 TO PART 1
The easiest way to merge these to layouts is to delete the FIRST 9 boards from Part 1.
These are the boards that contain York station and the National Rail Museum, up to and including, the board where the main line branches off to Harrogate.
Part 6 should then fit cleanly into place.

DON'T FORGET TO ADD JOINING TRACK WHERE APPROPRIATE, OTHERWISE YOUR TRAINS WON'T GET VERY FAR !!!"

and now the final sections:-

"TO MERGE THE LAYOUTS.

DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE ALTERED LAYOUT UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME AS YOU GO, SO THAT IF THERE IS A PROBLEM, IT WON'T AFFECT THE ORIGINAL.

MERGING YORKSHIRE PT 7 TO YORKSHIRE PT 8

Delete the LAST SIX (6) boards (at the Selby end) from Part 7.
These are the boards which include Selby, up to where the first single board joins the double boards section.
Yorkshire Pt 8 will then join neatly onto Pt 7.

MERGING YORKSHIRE PT 6 TO YORKSHIRE PT 8

Delete the LAST SEVEN (7) boards (at the Bridlington end) from Pt 6.
This is the point where a double board section meets a triple board section.
Check the minimap. Locate the boards that show "Old Town" and "North Sands".
Delete these boards plus the adjoining board and those containing Bridlington itself, etc.
The last boards you should now have on Part 6 should show "School" and "Sewerby".
Yorkshire Pt 8 will fit neatly into place at this point.

DON'T FORGET TO ADD JOINING TRACK WHERE APPROPRIATE, OTHERWISE YOUR TRAINS WON'T GET VERY FAR !!!"

I wish you luck

Mike

I went through this exercise with the originator of the route. In the end decided to do my own. concentrated on North Yorkshire. my route is not finished by any means but runs ok even if sometimes it stutters. In the end after gaining the experience and with the implimentation of a 64bit TRANSdem system decided to make smaller routes in the same area.
I am sorry to be a pain but would anyone know if there is a sequence of joining these 8 boards together have tried to join 1&2 but 2 is much lower than 1 and cant join the tracks Thanks for any help you might give

I went through this exercise with the originator of the route. In the end decided to do my own. concentrated on North Yorkshire. my route is not finished by any means but runs ok even if sometimes it stutters. In the end after gaining the experience and with the implimentation of a 64bit TRANSdem system decided to make smaller routes in the same area.

Any screenshots matey?

It would be great to have a T12 version of the fully merged route. The images look great. Could one of you upload this to DLS?

It would be great to have a T12 version of the fully merged route. The images look great. Could one of you upload this to DLS?

Some time ago I merged all 8 parts of Yorkshire into one route, more or less as described in the post above. There was a major problem in that often deep valleys occured along the edges of each and every baseboard of the section being merged. These required a lot of time to repair as the valleys had to be height-corrected to match the surrounding terrain but also texture-filled as the valleys caused bare baseboard with it's yellow lines to show along the baseboard join lines.
Eventually I corrected all this (many, many hours of fixing).

The result was a large and interesting route but with content & style that was rather dated, especially after comparing it with more modern TS12 routes. When I imported it from TS10, in which I'd done the merging, into TS12 I did a lot of additions including global track changes but mostly the placing of more flora, particularly speedtrees, grasses, textures and so forth. Some items were also replaced for more proto-typical stuff (eg the level crossings). In fact, I'm still at it and doubt if the process will ever end as inspiration arrives from newer TS12 British routes such as the updated Gwladys Ddu, Ashburton, Chapel Street, Paddington, etcetera. :)

My Yorkshire merge-change also has lots of non-DLS stuff in it, not to mention gawd-knows how many items that would go faulty in the most up-to-date version of TS12 (I kept mine to Build 49922 as at the last count I had circa 3000 items that would require at least a thumbnail and perhaps more exxtensive fixing).

But Yorkshire is certainly a great route for "enhancing" if this is one of your Trainz pleasures. And, as another poster mentioned, it would make a great route for the new sooper-dooper Trainz. Which prompts me to ask ...

Couldn't Trainz packs be released that are region-specific? All the routes I drive or "enhance" are Brtish and these are more than enough for a lad to play with! I haven't the time or the inclination to use the no-doubt very good routes from the US, China, Russia et al. Mind, I have got 4 rather nice French routes, some of which are merges of Dark Dan routes made years ago. I recommend these to those who would like to "enhance" an already very good route to be even more interesting.

Lataxe

Some time ago I merged all 8 parts of Yorkshire into one route, more or less as described in the post above. There was a major problem in that often deep valleys occured along the edges of each and every baseboard of the section being merged. These required a lot of time to repair as the valleys had to be height-corrected to match the surrounding terrain but also texture-filled as the valleys caused bare baseboard with it's yellow lines to show along the baseboard join lines.
Eventually I corrected all this (many, many hours of fixing).

The result was a large and interesting route but with content & style that was rather dated, especially after comparing it with more modern TS12 routes. When I imported it from TS10, in which I'd done the merging, into TS12 I did a lot of additions including global track changes but mostly the placing of more flora, particularly speedtrees, grasses, textures and so forth. Some items were also replaced for more proto-typical stuff (eg the level crossings). In fact, I'm still at it and doubt if the process will ever end as inspiration arrives from newer TS12 British routes such as the updated Gwladys Ddu, Ashburton, Chapel Street, Paddington, etcetera. :)

My Yorkshire merge-change also has lots of non-DLS stuff in it, not to mention gawd-knows how many items that would go faulty in the most up-to-date version of TS12 (I kept mine to Build 49922 as at the last count I had circa 3000 items that would require at least a thumbnail and perhaps more exxtensive fixing).

But Yorkshire is certainly a great route for "enhancing" if this is one of your Trainz pleasures. And, as another poster mentioned, it would make a great route for the new sooper-dooper Trainz. Which prompts me to ask ...

Couldn't Trainz packs be released that are region-specific? All the routes I drive or "enhance" are Brtish and these are more than enough for a lad to play with! I haven't the time or the inclination to use the no-doubt very good routes from the US, China, Russia et al. Mind, I have got 4 rather nice French routes, some of which are merges of Dark Dan routes made years ago. I recommend these to those who would like to "enhance" an already very good route to be even more interesting.

Lataxe

Hi Lataxe

I am not surprised at what you say. Its a pity that updated programmes cannot also update all the assets - after all we can land on a comet these days! Maybe TANE will provide more possibilities to preserve all the good route and asset building that people have spent years developing!

If "Yorkshire" is to be revitalised then it would be better to use TransDEM to start with - this helps to ensure that all the heights are accurate and also these days gives you a ready painted base with 3D tiles if you have the maps to reproduce. I have recently used this for a Norwegian route, all the heights are miraculously maintained - including rail splines etc., but I have yet to find a suitable map so as to produce a ready-textured version. Painting the textures is what takes most time.. Still, TransDEM makes life with Trainz a lot easier and enjoyable!

All the best, pdw

I loved the layout and the concept of the Yorkshire routes but felt that it had so much unfulfilled potential. I know route building is a time consuming task, particularly on that scale, but all major stations were exactly the same item of content, the ground textures were pretty much the same all over and there was very little sceneary. I always felt like I was playing on a TRS2004 map. If someone did merge all 8 though, that'd be cool

In fact, I'm still at it and doubt if the process will ever end as inspiration arrives from newer TS12 British routes such as the updated Gwladys Ddu, Ashburton, Chapel Street, Paddington, etcetera. :)

Lataxe

Chapel Street? Not heard of that before and couldn't find it on the DLS... who's that by?

Chapel Street? Not heard of that before and couldn't find it on the DLS... who's that by?

Chapel_Street_Branch,<kuid:350695:100519> by micn10.

It's a London branch line with lots and lots of buildings & other suburban details. You'll have to go on The Great KUID hunt for a number of items but if you use:

http://www.trainzkuidindex.com/eng/Assets/search

you can get all but one or three, which can be deleted from the route with no obvious effect.

Lataxe

Back