WV Rails: #734 not going

From what I recall, friction bearings are still legal, as long as the cars they're on never leave the railroad's own property.

Case in point is a small work train located near where I live. Two of the three cars on it (one fuel tank car, one side dump car) have friction bearings. Couple months back when they were doing some realignment down the way, the side dump and fuel car were pulled out and taken down for use. I think the fuel car was stuck off to the side and used for diesel for the earth moving equipment, while the side dump was put into service carrying rocks and riprap back and forth to the site.

Michael Ward, current CSX President made a recent statement in Trains Magazine that "I am a corporation. I exist to make money. Why would I want to do that?". in reference to CSX operating it's own passenger trains. CSX doesn't care about anything other than making a profit, and ensuring that nothing gets in the way of it's freights, railfans be damned. They barely tolerate Amtrak. They used to allow steam during the NS Steam Program era, but when NS got rid of the program, steam seemed to disappear on CSX, too. Were there any steam movements on NS or CSX 1995 and up? NS is starting to permit steam on it's tracks again, the opposite of CSX's move toward the WMSR, NS let TVRM's steam train recently restored 630 on it's tracks to go two miles to a VW plant for an event and soon steam excursions will be roaming NS again.

Back