Wick Moorman is now Amtrak's President

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
And he follows other Southern and Norfolk Southern leaders who moved on to Amtrak, most notably W. Graham Claytor, Jr. I believe that the people at Amtrak made the right decision. To be honest, the only other person I could think of that might be a good choice is Ed Ellis, founder of the shortline holding company Iowa Pacific, and operator of the Hoosier State.

Trains Magazine article 1:
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/08/19-its-wick

Trains Magazine article 2:
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/08/19-one-and-only?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=News0_TRN_160822_000000_Final&utm_content=&spMailingID=26306131&spUserID=MTE2MDY5NzM3MzAxS0&spJobID=863865029&spReportId=ODYzODY1MDI5S0

Hmmm, more heritage units? Weird P42 rebuilds? A steam program? Cancel the F125 order and put some old F40PH's back on the rails? Who knows...
Matt

Last edited:
Personally, I think using a variation of the Class 220 Voyager would be a better choice than a Class 221. They would also be more ideal in regional services out of Chicago. I picked the 220 over the 221 as the 220 is the only diesel-electric DEMU in the UK. It also uses a Cummings QSK19, which can be found on National Railway Equipment's (NRE) multi-engine GenSet switchers. Keep in mind that even though the these DEMU's are capable of traveling at 125mph (200kph), the tracks between Chicago and Seattle are not designed to handle those speeds. Because I believe that they should be used for regional service out of Chicago, I think that there should have three different variations, each with the same amenities, combined as a 4-unit, 6-unit, and 8-unit sets. These sets will actually be two separate consists coupled back-to-back, like the first-generation Eurostar high speed trains. On a 4-unit train, the first car is a Business Class car, the second a Coach Class car, the third a café car, and the fourth half-Business Class, half-Coach Class. The 6-unit train has the first car is Business Class, the second is half-Business/half-Coach Class, the third is Coach Class, the fourth is a café car, the fifth is Coach Class, and the sixth is Business Class. The 8-unit train has the first car Business Class, the second car is Business Class, the third is half-Business/half-Coach Class, the fourth is Coach Class, the fifth café car, the sixth and seventh are Coach Class, and the eighth is Business Class. Because the trains are made up of two consists coupled back-to-back, they can therefore be split in half and combined with each other if need be, such as during the morning and evening rush hour, the need for more or less of one class, etc. Because the 6-car train is in fact two 3-car trains, you can also have 5 and 7-car trains, increasing flexibility even more. Business Class has more legroom and has 2+1 seating, one seat on one side of the center aisle, two seats on the other side; Coach Class has less legroom and has 2+2 seating, two seats on each side of the aisle, and is cheaper than Business Class. Café cars provide quick, easy-to-fix meals, fixed by on-board staff, and a variety of drinks, plus 4-seat and 2-seat booths. All cars are equipped with Wi-Fi, and both classes are equipped with trays that fold down from the back of the seats.

These Class 220s would be great too running between Hartford, CT and Springfield and up to Vermont, between Boston and Springfield or even Albany up here in New England, and they might even work on the Downeaster service since these are all regional services all on non-electric lines.

At the moment we're using Cabbages and P42s with the usual business class coach consists similar to what you mention here.

I don't think Amtrak is going to be getting 220s any time soon, with the recent purchase of new high-speed trainsets from Alstom...

They aren't seriously replacing the Acelas already, are they? They've only been in service 16 years! That's a life span comparable to some of the early pilot scheme diesels, or the WR diesel hydraulics here in the UK, and I suspect the Acela cost a lot more than them. With proper maintainence, I suspect they could easily carry on to about 2040.

Back